Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Volante »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:37 pm
Spoiler
I got some mustard on this one. I wonder if the different snacks are programmed to hit differently?
Just had a 2336 ft off a red pitch but couldn't cap it in time.
It seems to be based on the (debunked) idea that the faster the pitch the farther the hit, no diff between batters except confirmation bias.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:36 pm
Spoiler
I got some mustard on this one. I wonder if the different snacks are programmed to hit differently?
It seems to be based on the (debunked) idea that the faster the pitch the farther the hit, no diff between batters except confirmation bias.
Don't worry about missing the screen cap. It ain't the record. ;)

I got it using Chrome though for kicks I did try Edge and Firefox.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:41 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:36 pm
Spoiler
Don't worry about missing the screen cap. It ain't the record. ;)

I got it using Chrome though for kicks I did try Edge and Firefox.
Oof. That's gonna be tough to reach.

I finally managed to load the bases for a grand slam a couple of times. I have not yet hit a triple, as far as I can tell, though.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I just got 2,196.

Is it possible to hit a triple?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:57 am I just got 2,196.

Is it possible to hit a triple?
If it is, I've yet to see one. Even when they could easily take 3rd, judging by their previous baserunning aggressiveness, they stop at 2nd. Except when the ball goes to the wall, then it's an inside-the-park HR.

So far 2368 is the best I've done. The red cap super fastballs don't show up often enough for my tastes, so this'll do for now.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I have not seen a triple and have only seen that inside the park home run with the ball going to the fence, once. If you get 50 runs then there is a creature that goes along the outfield. I do not have the skill (can still miss the red pitches) or concentration to see if something else happens at 100 runs.

One other thing I found better for me was using two hands on the space bar to hit instead of a mouse click.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I had only ever topped 1,000 feet once. I guess I got a hold of this one.

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:30 pm Permalink to the game:

https://www.google.com/doodles/fourth-of-july-2019
I somehow had never clicked on the doodle while it was going on, so thanks for the link. I played somewhat longer than I had planned to.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:17 pm

I somehow had never clicked on the doodle while it was going on, so thanks for the link. I played somewhat longer than I had planned to.
Gave it another whirl today and I finally figured out something that bugged me...
The Lemonade and Lettuce bat Lefty.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:18 am

Gave it another whirl today and I finally figured out something that bugged me...
The Lemonade and Lettuce bat Lefty.
Yeah I noticed that too. I couldn't figure out whether there were any other L foodstuffs coming up to bat.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

me too
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

just topped the 2557 with a 2573. Have played a lot of this and never seen an inside-the-park home run. Anyone know what the trick to that might be?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Page 3 is unusual to have to find this thread.

To bump it up it's bad news as I only found out today that Denise Nickerson (Violet Beauregarde in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory) died on July 10th at age 62. Besides the iconic film role I also remember her in the "Two Petes in a Pod" episode of The Brady Bunch.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:04 am Page 3 is unusual to have to find this thread.

To bump it up it's bad news as I only found out today that Denise Nickerson (Violet Beauregarde in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory) died on July 10th at age 62. Besides the iconic film role I also remember her in the "Two Petes in a Pod" episode of The Brady Bunch.
RIP, Denise Nickerson. Here's a clip from The Electric Company that features her:

pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:04 am Page 3 is unusual to have to find this thread.

I first noticed her in the late 1960s when she appeared in the horror soap opera Dark Shadows. I loved that show, and I rearranged my college schedule so that I could watch both Dark Shadows and Jeopardy! (the Art Fleming version). Denise Nickerson was a remarkable young actress. Like many child performers, she did not have great success in show business after reaching adulthood, but she will be remembered for a long time for her role in Willy Wonka.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:27 pm A friend shared with me this story about Candy Land board game celebrating 70 years: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... nd/594424/
While roaming around Spain last week, we thought we noticed a surprisingly large number of people either on crutches or in wheelchairs. It turns out it wasn't our imagination -- apparently Franco didn't think it important to immunize the population against polio, and as a result, there were a larger number of victims there when compared to other countries.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Holzhauer goes on an amazing run and earns $2.5 million. Then some 16-year-old kid plays Fortnite and wins $3 million.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 7/31 debate had me spotting a familiarity to Alex Trebek several times:

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Number of times an element has been the correct question:

https://i.redd.it/20e9yhae5ne31.png