LL81: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by twelvefootboy »

I hadn't seen much chatter on the Science ML and hadn't posted. It just got better for me each game and I didn't realize it was in chronological order until I found the LL message board discussions after day 9. After opening with 3 tie games, I crept slowly up to second, and then inexplicably the leader lost day 11 and put me in first in group 77!.(deleted :oops: ) It was fun to have 24 questions in my wheelhouse categories but now back to the opera and shakespeare :).
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:28 pm I hadn't seen much chatter on the Science ML and hadn't posted. It just got better for me each game and I didn't realize it was in chronological order until I found the LL message board discussions after day 9. After opening with 3 tie games, I crept slowly up to second, and then inexplicably the leader lost day 11 and put me in first in group 77!. The championship questions are a level up and I just managed to get 5/12 correct.

The particle physics 1-day was fun, [Comment about live question redacted.]. It was fun to have 24 questions in my wheelhouse categories but now back to the opera and shakespeare :).
Particle Physics is still live.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:33 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:28 pm I hadn't seen much chatter on the Science ML and hadn't posted. It just got better for me each game and I didn't realize it was in chronological order until I found the LL message board discussions after day 9. After opening with 3 tie games, I crept slowly up to second, and then inexplicably the leader lost day 11 and put me in first in group 77!.
Spoiler
deleted :oops: )

The particle physics 1-day was fun, [Comment about live question redacted.]. It was fun to have 24 questions in my wheelhouse categories but now back to the opera and shakespeare :).
Particle Physics is still live.
:oops:
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

The Science ML was....humbling. I went into it with no real expectations, and a 0.400 Science career. On MD1, I got 4 right and thought, ok this won't be too bad. Wow, I was wrong. I ended up only getting 9 correct over the last 10 days, with only a couple misses that I had a chance at. Seemed like each day, upon the reveal of the answers, were 4 or more things I'd never heard of. THat made def basically impossible for me, as I had really no gauge on which ones were hard. I hope some of those things soaked into my head somehow.

Upsets has been better, but despite being 4th in my group in TCA and first in DE, I am first in CAA and therefore in 9th with no hope to advance.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Just 'Lil Nas' was not accepted ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I don't think there are going to be minileagues that line up better with my wheelhouse than "science through the ages". I'm proud of how well I did, but I'm truly amazed at the winners of the championship: there were 12 esoteric facts from a range of science disciplines and eras that the smiths asked, and some people were able to answer 9+.

There have been complaints about this minileague, but it is the most pedagogical quiz I've seen on LL: the smiths worked hard to make each question interesting and instructive. I think people complained because they seemed to prioritize this instruction over putting in multiple ways to get the answer right... I'm ok with different styles for minileagues, and this one was instructive - especially when I got a question wrong.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

boson wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:19 pm I don't think there are going to be minileagues that line up better with my wheelhouse than "science through the ages". I'm proud of how well I did, but I'm truly amazed at the winners of the championship: there were 12 esoteric facts from a range of science disciplines and eras that the smiths asked, and some people were able to answer 9+.

There have been complaints about this minileague, but it is the most pedagogical quiz I've seen on LL: the smiths worked hard to make each question interesting and instructive. I think people complained because they seemed to prioritize this instruction over putting in multiple ways to get the answer right... I'm ok with different styles for minileagues, and this one was instructive - especially when I got a question wrong.
I agree conpletely. This was a joy of an ML to compete in, and I learned loads. I especially appreciated how the smiths brought to light several unheralded figures, mostly women, and credited them with their discoveries.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Woof wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:11 pm
boson wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:19 pm I don't think there are going to be minileagues that line up better with my wheelhouse than "science through the ages". I'm proud of how well I did, but I'm truly amazed at the winners of the championship: there were 12 esoteric facts from a range of science disciplines and eras that the smiths asked, and some people were able to answer 9+.

I agree conpletely. This was a joy of an ML to compete in, and I learned loads. I especially appreciated how the smiths brought to light several unheralded figures, mostly women, and credited them with their discoveries.
I couldn't agree more. I certainly enjoyed the format of the questions, and each day, despite doing poorly and not recognizing many of the terms asked for in the answers.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

After MD10 of Science, I was in first place but needed to win or tie MD11 in order to make the championship.
I lost 4(3)-9(6). :x
However... I entered Particle Physics and, for only the second time ever, got all 12 on a one-day! Ended up finishing in the 96th percentile.
Hoping for a third lap
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

sarisson wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:06 pm After MD10 of Science, I was in first place but needed to win or tie MD11 in order to make the championship.
However... I entered Particle Physics and, for only the second time ever, got all 12 on a one-day! Ended up finishing in the 96th percentile.
Kudos on getting Pauli. I noted that even Boson (who I fully expected to see in the top 10) didn’t get him. I also whiffed on baryon/meson, putting fermion down instead.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Woof wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:27 pm
sarisson wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:06 pm After MD10 of Science, I was in first place but needed to win or tie MD11 in order to make the championship.
Kudos on getting Pauli. I noted that even Boson (who I fully expected to see in the top 10) didn’t get him. I also whiffed on baryon/meson, putting fermion down instead.
Argh. Yes, you aren't supposed to notice my mistake. Dirac and Pauli live on the same neuron in my brain and I picked the wrong one.

Congrats to sarisson!
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Thanks! The only reason I knew Pauli was from solving an old Sunday NY Times crossword last week, which had a clue referencing his connection to neutrinos.
I wrote a particle physics quiz for Alpaca Farm three years ago, which ended up playing much easier than I'd expected. However, Woof got more correct on the LL quiz than mine. Lots of boardies and other trivia notables played, to my astonishment. http://alpacafarmtrivia.herokuapp.com/quizzes/1356
Hoping for a third lap
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Well put - this was such a serendipitous ML for my first experience. After finishing dead in the middle of my Rookie rundle averaging 2 CA per day, it was nice to have some 4-packs and 5-packs. I agree there were many YEKIOYDs during the ML, but I also was able to suss out a few answers from the TOM.

But the coolest thing about this one happened in the championship round (I only got 6/12, finished 73rd). I've never spent more than 2-3 minutes on an answer but knew I could work out two of them with pencil and paper. My scratch notes contain the dimensional analysis for the exponent of radius for calculating the yield of a nuclear weapon, AND the breakdown for the ratio of round yellow peas to be grown in my survival garden :lol:

eta - and I appreciated the shout-outs to women scientists. Lise Meitner might have been snubbed for the Nobel, but.. Meitnerium, baby! That's an exclusive club!
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Schedules are finally up for the National Parks ML. I'm in Group 94 with bomtr.
Hoping for a third lap
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

sarisson wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:36 pm Schedules are finally up for the National Parks ML. I'm in Group 94 with bomtr.
*pulls up LL website*
*sees next match is against VeredJ*
*throws laptop in trash*
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

The groups are posted for the indie music ML. I'm in 113.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

StevenH wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:55 pm The groups are posted for the indie music ML. I'm in 113.
I'm in a really obscure group. You wouldn't have heard of it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

trainman wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:09 pm
StevenH wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:55 pm The groups are posted for the indie music ML. I'm in 113.
I'll probably only play the first couple match days. I really don't like their later stuff...
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:19 pm
trainman wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:09 pm
I'll probably only play the first couple match days. I really don't like their later stuff...
well now it's become mainstream, so thanks, but no thanks
Total game show career losings = $171,522
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:03 pm Just 'Lil Nas' was not accepted ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Justifiably so. There are at least 9 other Lil Nasses (Lil Nasi? Lil Nasae?) it could've been.