I dreamed last night I was watching the ToC

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

I dreamed last night I was watching the ToC

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Last night I had a dream I was watching one of the quarterfinal games of the ToC, and James won it but with $16,000, lower than any of his regular season games. And I guessed that he played much more conservatively, not going for the bottom of the board first or implementing the Forrest bounce. The second-place contestant finished with $11,000. And then I saw another quarterfinal game with Emma but I don't remember much, except that I was hoping she wouldn't beat James in the semifinals if she won her quarterfinal.

Another weird thing in my dream is that James changed professions, that he had a different one in Reno, Nevada rather than being a sports gambler in Las Vegas. Just like when Ken Jennings won 74 games, he was a software engineer in Salt Lake City, but is now a writer living in Seattle.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: I dreamed last night I was watching the ToC

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Though I highly doubt James will have only $16K if he wins, I could definitely see him changing up his strategy a bit for the TOC now that his famous one has been exposed to the world. It would definitely be quite funny/interesting to see him throw a curveball at his opponents who thought they had came well prepared to face him!
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:50 am Though I highly doubt James will have only $16K if he wins, I could definitely see him changing up his strategy a bit for the TOC now that his famous one has been exposed to the world. It would definitely be quite funny/interesting to see him throw a curveball at his opponents who thought they had came well prepared to face him!
I've seen Chuck Forrest's interview for the Battle of the Decades, and he mentioned not implementing his strategy in tournament play, even though he won the ToC in 1986. So don't be surprised if James doesn't implement his version of the Forrest bounce, but at the same time it won't be a surprise if he beats his opponents with the buzzer even if he implements a more conservative strategy. However, I'd anticipate him still betting aggressively on Daily Doubles, especially in the two-day finals (much like what Roger Craig did in the 2011 ToC).
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:31 pm
CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:50 am Though I highly doubt James will have only $16K if he wins, I could definitely see him changing up his strategy a bit for the TOC now that his famous one has been exposed to the world. It would definitely be quite funny/interesting to see him throw a curveball at his opponents who thought they had came well prepared to face him!
I've seen Chuck Forrest's interview for the Battle of the Decades, and he mentioned not implementing his strategy in tournament play, even though he won the ToC in 1986. So don't be surprised if James doesn't implement his version of the Forrest bounce, but at the same time it won't be a surprise if he beats his opponents with the buzzer even if he implements a more conservative strategy. However, I'd anticipate him still betting aggressively on Daily Doubles, especially in the two-day finals (much like what Roger Craig did in the 2011 ToC).
I will most certainly not be surprised if he beats his opponents at the buzzer again. I'm certainly anticipating that he'll still be betting huge on DD's, but I could certainly see him trying a new "Forrest Bounce" strat to throw off his opponents who had otherwise felt they had come well prepared to take on the king.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

I will most certainly not be surprised if he beats his opponents at the buzzer again. I'm certainly anticipating that he'll still be betting huge on DD's, but I could certainly see him trying a new "Forrest Bounce" strat to throw off his opponents who had otherwise felt they had come well prepared to take on the king.
I definitely won't be surprised if his opponents (including Emma Boettcher) watched his episodes when they aired, considering they were taped months before, and only the first two aired when tapings for Season 35 wrapped up.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:21 pm

I definitely won't be surprised if his opponents (including Emma Boettcher) watched his episodes when they aired, considering they were taped months before, and only the first two aired when tapings for Season 35 wrapped up.
They all most certainly did. It won't matter however if James mixes up strategy though. Ultimately we'll just have to wait and see what happens (after all, lest we forget, Julia Collins, Matt Jackson and Austin Rogers also all lost their TOC's) .
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

I hope James will at least be a finalist, but it would be awesome if he won the whole thing.

And when does the ToC start taping?
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

I believe I saw Anneke Garcia post on Reddit saying that it will be filmed in September. Though I'm not sure if I can find that thread now.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

i had a dream last night that had kim mulkey and the baylor women's basketball team...very odd
Yak_Forger

Post by Yak_Forger »

We'll see if your dream was premonitorious or not! If you're optimistic, it may be time to place a bet on him... Or on his opponent if you're not :lol:
PlayerWM86
Contributor

Post by PlayerWM86 »

I do have game show dreams nowadays...

Most of them involved The Price Is Right and the Showcase results and Drew telling nervous contestants they actually won, as well as Wheel of Fortune in their Television City days (1989-95), but I do remember one J! dream I had in summer 2004 that suggested someone beat Ken Jennings very early before he could reach the $2-million mark in total winnings.

Most of them also involved Remote Control (1987-90) and different ways on that show to go "Off the Air" either at random moments or a player's in last place when the siren sounds. I even remember one that took place in a school auditorium of an elementary school that I used to attend (that also doubled as a gymnasium; on an unrelated note, that school switched from traditional to year-round) where one person on the stage was sent flying backwards in their chair through the auditorium's curtain and their scoreboard on their podium -- in the same style as the middle lectern used on the show -- turned off.

On the other hand, J!-related, I did have two JEP!-related dreams earlier than 2004 where two child/teenage contestants -- a male and a female -- the female was dragged off stage by what appeared to be security guards, while the male was sucked upwards through a tube and sent back to a random seat in the audience and immediately eliminated/disqualified when they gave three incorrect responses instead of the "sent behind the wall, still in their chair the same way they came out at the start of the show" on the third "In Jeopardy!" light flashing on their podium.

That was probably because I couldn't clearly process one of Jay Lewis' sound effect descriptions in the JEP! section of his Game Show Sound Effects site when I was younger, when the description read, "If a player gets 3 wrong answers, this sound "closes" the door to keep them out of one question" -- and my mind thought they were out of the game for good if they gave three incorrect responses. I later watched some JEP! episodes on YouTube, and learned that NOBODY got eliminated -- even if they ended the Hyper JEP! round with zero or negative points.

I do, however, remember very few Press Your Luck dreams, as those featured completely different Whammy animations that didn't make any sense.
Avid J! watcher since 1989 & failing at J! video games since 1995.
Yak_Forger

Post by Yak_Forger »

Even if it's just for an April Fools joke, it'd be great to see an episode of the game going like this, with random events happening during the episode, although that would need some good technology and talented stunt actors.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Yak_Forger wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:23 am Even if it's just for an April Fools joke, it'd be great to see an episode of the game going like this, with random events happening during the episode, although that would need some good technology and talented stunt actors.
Ooohh yeah. I'd especially like to see The Lever. You know, when there's a TS on some clue that EVERYONE should know, Alex pulls The Lever and trap doors open beneath all three contestants. Then new players are brought in and the game continues.
Yak_Forger

Post by Yak_Forger »

Not to mention that this would be actually be pretty simple to implement, with stunt actors (or volunteers who signed documents about them agreeing!) as the players, and the room under the trap doors would be lined with thick blankets and pillows; I mean, it's way less dangerous than all of these Japanese-inspired games where people have to jump from one platform to another over water, or when they have to go from point A to point B on a wet surface with automated foam bats trying to punt them out of the path.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Is the ToC now taping?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:11 pm Is the ToC now taping?
No, Alex is home watching football and James is betting on football.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:31 pm
Someone mentioned that the ToC tapes this month. Which dates?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:34 pm
The dates don't matter. It's contestant guests and VIP guests only with no Joe Schmoe/John Q. Public types. The audience guests will also have to sign NDAs to make sure nothing is blabbed.

Wait until November when it airs and best of all would be no leaks ahead of time as the J! powers are trying their best to do.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:15 pm
jeopardyfan939 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:34 pm
The dates don't matter. It's contestant guests and VIP guests only with no Joe Schmoe/John Q. Public types. The audience guests will also have to sign NDAs to make sure nothing is blabbed.

Wait until November when it airs and best of all would be no leaks ahead of time as the J! powers are trying their best to do.
So if, say, Buzzy Cohen wanted to attend, it's a safe bet they'd let him in?
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

PlayerWM86 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:49 am I do remember one J! dream I had in summer 2004 that suggested someone beat Ken Jennings very early before he could reach the $2-million mark in total winnings.
At the end of March/beginning of April, I had a dream that I was a contestant on Jeopardy! On my third appearance I set a one day record with $93,000; however, I only won four games, and I finished in second place on my fifth game. The funny thing is my J! dream was right before James' historic run.

Now, about your dream back in 2004 where Ken lost before reaching the $2M mark. Was that after Season 20 ended and they were re-running tournaments? I ask because in September, right when Season 21 premiered, information about him losing his 75th game got leaked on the internet.