Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:15 pm Number of times an element has been the correct question:

https://i.redd.it/20e9yhae5ne31.png
Kind of cool graphic, but my left brain wants to see the table or list :lol: .

No love for the rare earths? The phony transuranics look skunked too, but I'm sure there's been a handful of clues that are based on the name of the scientist, if not the element.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:15 pm Number of times an element has been the correct question:

Pffft. Why should I put any faith in a Periodic Table that doesn’t include Seaborgium?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Woof wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:34 pm

Pffft. Why should I put any faith in a Periodic Table that doesn’t include Seaborgium?
Huh? I'm It's there.
AlpacaRoom
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by AlpacaRoom »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:29 pm Kind of cool graphic, but my left brain wants to see the table or list :lol: .
Mine, too. Here's one I generated from my j-archive scrape. It varies from the linked table (for a variety of reasons), but the general shape is the same.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:22 pm

Huh? I'm It's there.
Funny, it wasn't showing up on my phone. Objection retracted.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Woof wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:38 am
seaborgium wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:22 pm

Huh? I'm It's there.
Funny, it wasn't showing up on my phone. Objection retracted.
Not your fault. Probably needed a new batch to replenish the 14 minute half-life. On the bright side, you might have got some extra Rutherfordium. ;)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

AlpacaRoom wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:54 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:29 pm Kind of cool graphic, but my left brain wants to see the table or list :lol: .
Mine, too. Here's one I generated from my j-archive scrape. It varies from the linked table (for a variety of reasons), but the general shape is the same.
Cool. Some of these must have included the symbol in the clue - I don't see any path to hafnium or ruthenium without just "what is (Hf,Ru). (sidebar - TIL lots more about Ru. I'm surprised it has been off my radar in my career with noble metals, refractory metals, and base metal thermometry. Now I'm sure I'll see it everywhere :)) It is my new favorite element.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:00 pm
Cool. Some of these must have included the symbol in the clue - I don't see any path to hafnium or ruthenium without just "what is (Hf,Ru). (sidebar - TIL lots more about Ru. I'm surprised it has been off my radar in my career with noble metals, refractory metals, and base metal thermometry. Now I'm sure I'll see it everywhere :)) It is my new favorite element.
How about, "No, this element was not named for a baseball player who hit 714 home runs."

Or, "No, this element was not named for Playboy's founder."
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:30 am
How about, "No, this element was not named for a baseball player who hit 714 home runs."

Or, "No, this element was not named for Playboy's founder."
A pin would be necessary, since those statements are accurate for every element!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:57 pm
How about, "No, this element with atomic number 44 was not named for a baseball player who hit 714 home runs."

Or, "No, this element with atomic number 72 was not named for Playboy's founder."
A pin would be necessary, since those statements are accurate for every element!
Good point. See edits in red above.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:23 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:57 pm
Cool. Some of these must have included the symbol in the clue - I don't see any path to hafnium or ruthenium without just "what is (Hf,Ru).
How about, "No, this element with atomic number 44 was not named for a baseball player who hit 714 home runs."

Or, "No, this element with atomic number 72 was not named for Playboy's founder."
Good point. See edits in red above.
LOL the original also did not avoid the negbait of aaronium and bondium :). (never mind that they aren't elements ;) ) Thumbs up for the clever Bambino Ruth TOM but the Heffner/Hafnium construct doesn't pass the strict rhyming/homophone standards required here by the board's rhyme time police 8-) . Pretty tough one to build a gettable TOM :roll:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The trivia lesson of the day: Kay Thompson wrote about Eloise who lived in the Plaza Hotel.

It came up on two different GSN shows today and the success rate could have been better.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:59 pm The trivia lesson of the day: Kay Thompson wrote about Eloise who lived in the Plaza Hotel.

It came up on two different GSN shows today and the success rate could have been better.
You mentioned Eloise, but you didn't mention the Mojito cocktail ingredient that was on "Best Ever Trivia Show" and "Common Knowledge" on the same night a few weeks ago.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:35 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:59 pm The trivia lesson of the day: Kay Thompson wrote about Eloise who lived in the Plaza Hotel.

You mentioned Eloise, but you didn't mention the Mojito cocktail ingredient that was on "Best Ever Trivia Show" and "Common Knowledge" on the same night a few weeks ago.
You had posted about it previously and I do not want the title or job of king of the game show overlaps.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Congrats to jeff6286 for winning HQ tonight!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 8/15 NYT crossword puzzle

11D: Sub tenant?

It has 8 letters.

Comments:
Spoiler
I had all but the 7th letter looking at: OCEANA_T

Doing letter substitution had me wondering about OCEANANT, OCEANART, or OCEANAST. Nope, it was:
Spoiler
OCEANAUT like an astronaut but in a submarine. Boooo! I only finally got it right by getting the cross right.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:53 am The 8/15 NYT crossword puzzle
Shouldn't it say 8/14 because the day only just started. (In Eastern Standard Time.)
Douglas Squasoni
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:43 am
Shouldn't it say 8/14 because the day only just started. (In Eastern Standard Time.)
The NYT puzzles are released sometime around 10 pm EST the night before (6pm on Sunday I think - haven't been subscribed for awhile).
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

threearruda wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:39 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:43 am
The NYT puzzles are released sometime around 10 pm EST the night before (6pm on Sunday I think - haven't been subscribed for awhile).
6pm on Saturday and Sunday (i.e. Sun/Mon puzzles), 10pm weekdays (all times Eastern).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Why is Phoenix?...

Getting my vacations figured out for next year and Phoenix (hint: Diamondbacks) was the third and last to make the cut. And I know, philosophically, it's hot. I know the King of the Hill burn. But there's something about seeing the raw numbers of -months- of average 100+ temps that... WHY?!

(Luckily(?) the schedule calls for the last week of April/first of May so still tentative low 90s which...still... At least Chase Field is domed...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)