LL82: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by boson »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:36 pm REDACTED BY MOD
Please don't post - even in frustration - about live questions.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:59 am
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:59 am TIL there was a solo version of synchronized swimming. A website says "the event's supporters claim that the synchronization is with the music."
I feel like this came up on one of the trivia apps earlier this year, because it was my reflex guess. Fortunately I talked myself out of it, en route to my worst Day 1 in a long time.
It's been an HQ question. I might not have remembered it, but HQ's new "Daily Challenge" feature (only available on iOS currently) uses old questions, with a lot of repeating, and many times in the past few weeks I've encountered the question that requires you to know solo synchronized swimming was a thing.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

boson wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:41 pm
TPH is off to a great start! First he forfeits his first ever match and now he's apparently posting about live questions?
==========
I already mentioned this on the LL message board, but that synchronized swimming Q yesterday was a gimme for me because I'm friends with the woman who coached the first Olympic gold medalists in synchro (solo and duet). She's an outstanding swimmer who holds world records in her age group.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

I went with Richie (Rich) on the adopted sons question, dimly remembering Reginald, who alas is merely a cousin on the Van Dough side.

I think "Rexha" would have sufficed to lead me to Albanian, but I happened to have observed Rita Ora shooting an ad near Times Square a few years ago and so looked her up afterward (on the internet).

My opponent and I defended very similarly, our only difference being our mutual belief that the question we were missing was harder than the one they were missing.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Off to a rough start with a 6(4)-7(3) loss. My TV blind spot led me to putting a 3 on the Willis question. And I talked myself out of Synchronized Swimming because how could a solo swimmer be synchronized? :oops:
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

5 instagets and a miss.

Seems to happen on day one more often than not
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Charis
Contributor

Post by Charis »

Hi! I'm new to the board and also new to LL. I'm in Rundle R Corridor, WhelchelC.
quarterrican
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by quarterrican »

One of the only operas I’ve ever been to was Philip Glass’s Satyagraha. A friend of mine worked for the Met and had an extra ticket. My only distinct memories of it are that it was quite long, very repetitive, and generally just not my cup of tea. I’m slightly more grateful to have seen it now, as pulling its name yesterday was enough to put me over the edge for a win.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I horribly mangled the spelling of it as sadhyagrata, but the Commish was benevolent in accepting it anyway.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:16 pm
boson wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:41 pm
TPH is off to a great start! First he forfeits his first ever match and now he's apparently posting about live questions?
==========
TPH's blunder was saying he had played the second day's set and had zero right. Completely inappropriate and not allowed here although not as bad as directly giving away material for a question. [Being a wise guy] Hammer was referred by Josh Hill, making me reconsider putting him in the Gold group for the ToC. :lol:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:05 am I horribly mangled the spelling of it as sadhyagrata, but the Commish was benevolent in accepting it anyway.
Wow. And I thought my spelling was mangled! :)

Satyaghara, for the record, was also accepted!

I also got this one from the opera angle. Seeing Glass’s Akhenaten at the Met in Nov
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Not trying for a BWA (because seriously, why bother), but for the meeple question (which I had never heard of), I came up with Carcassapien.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I was another who got Satyagraha solely from the Glass opera and the Wikipedia rabbit hole it sent me down. :mrgreen:
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

quarterrican wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:20 am One of the only operas I’ve ever been to was Philip Glass’s Satyagraha. A friend of mine worked for the Met and had an extra ticket. My only distinct memories of it are that it was quite long, very repetitive, and generally just not my cup of tea. I’m slightly more grateful to have seen it now, as pulling its name yesterday was enough to put me over the edge for a win.
Nice win. I was surprised by the low get rate on that and exoplanets. I knew "satyagraha" from my social justice class in high school (we had to take four years of religion) and that word stuck in my memory. Never knew it was an opera.
Hoping for a third lap
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

econgator wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:48 pm Not trying for a BWA (because seriously, why bother), but for the meeple question (which I had never heard of), I came up with Carcassapien.
Me either, but my answer was portmanteauken. Not a good guess because it ignores an obviously large component of the clue, but I'm always happier with an answer that makes some sense than one that makes none.

My Gandhi guess was boddhitsava (trying to remember "bodhisattva", which among Buddhist terms I vaguely remembered from Kerouac, seemed to have the best chance to be a compound word).

I might have got "Studio" if my life situation allowed more daily hours to devote to LL, but "exoplanet" was far out of my reach, let alone my grasp.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

sarisson wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:53 pm
quarterrican wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:20 am One of the only operas I’ve ever been to was Philip Glass’s Satyagraha. A friend of mine worked for the Met and had an extra ticket. My only distinct memories of it are that it was quite long, very repetitive, and generally just not my cup of tea. I’m slightly more grateful to have seen it now, as pulling its name yesterday was enough to put me over the edge for a win.
Nice win. I was surprised by the low get rate on that and exoplanets. I knew "satyagraha" from my social justice class in high school (we had to take four years of religion) and that word stuck in my memory. Never knew it was an opera.
Apparently "planet" wasn't accepted for "exoplanet". Though more confusing is 34% picking -black hole-.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My bad. I assume it's okay to talk about day 2 now?
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Yes, you can talk about day 2 once day 3 is live. But there is no discussion, no matter how circumspect, of the questions or your performance on them while that day is still live.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So can I expect to have any more days where all six questions fall into my hammerhouse? I am pretty sure I've never heard of exoplanet, any of those "Studio" shows, satyagraha, Daisy, or meeple and... oh wait, it DID accept just "Fargo". So that's 1/6. Still, what a tough batch of questions to start on!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Volante wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:00 pm
sarisson wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:53 pm
Apparently "planet" wasn't accepted for "exoplanet". Though more confusing is 34% picking -black hole-.
How would planet ever be accepted? No planet was discovered before 1989?