LL82: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:29 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:22 am The clues were there. Ingvar Kamprad, founding something in Sweden. But no matter how many times I read the clue, it just didn't click. I think it was because "founding" had me stuck on something more institutional.

Billy Corgan -> Smashing Pumpkins -> Rat in a cage was easy. An art livestreamer I used to watch would often play music and for some reason, one of her songs of choice was a cheap knockoff of this song by a group called Blue Light Special or something.

Aaaaand I missed September 5 because I was at work all day. Crap.
Try submitting anyway. You might have a chance if you get in before the results are complete.
I did, but not like it mattered...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:31 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:29 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:22 am The clues were there. Ingvar Kamprad, founding something in Sweden. But no matter how many times I read the clue, it just didn't click. I think it was because "founding" had me stuck on something more institutional.

Billy Corgan -> Smashing Pumpkins -> Rat in a cage was easy. An art livestreamer I used to watch would often play music and for some reason, one of her songs of choice was a cheap knockoff of this song by a group called Blue Light Special or something.

Try submitting anyway. You might have a chance if you get in before the results are complete.
I did, but not like it mattered...
It's one less forfeit on your record if it makes it through.

Edit: and look at that, it totally made a difference!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

And there is a link on the front page to get questions in advance if you don't think you're going to be available to answer them on a particular day.
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

It's good that you're at least recognizing the clues that are out there, even if they don't always click. I'll say having played LL for several seasons now, I'm getting better at parsing out some of the clues. Fars Province = Farsi --> Iran? was one from yesterday that I wouldn't have gotten when I first started. Never heard of the province before, took a guess, turned out to be right.

As was also mentioned, Advanced Access is good to get if you know you're at work all day. But as long as you're able to submit on the computer, do it, even if the deadline has passed. The deadline isn't a hard deadline, Thorsten just won't start grading until after the deadline has passed. If you can sneak in a few answers, you might get away with it.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:17 am And there is a link on the front page to get questions in advance if you don't think you're going to be available to answer them on a particular day.
Yep! I used it this whole week just in case Dorian came calling.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Congrats to Jboard's resident archaeologist on Scarf #3!
I've started this season off as consistently as possible with 4's on each of the first six match days. I now have more ties than wins or losses. :shock:
Hoping for a third lap
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:17 pm
Your Day 7 match is 4xer Mary Ann Borer.
And I have her just where I want her with my 0-6 record here in 24th place! She is probably overconfident just because of her 5-1 position in 2nd place! I think Vegas has twelvefootboy as a nine point dog and still can't get any handle :lol: .

I read something about battlefield promotions deep in the bowels of the rules. I am waiting for the new rule and a battlefield demotion. Maybe the questions will pivot my way soon. I was happy with my get on Mau Mau yesterday and dismayed that I changed "weatherman" to "anchorman" because of the 2005 movie TOM. NHO an actual movie called "The Weatherman".

eta proper movie name courtesy of Volante :lol:
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:52 pmdismayed that I changed "weatherman" to "anchorman" because of the 2005 movie TOM. NHO an actual movie called Weatherman.
Right year, wrong film. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Weather_Man , low budget Nic Cage vehicle.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got credit for "universal base income" instead of "universal basic income," and that ended up being my margin of victory in my public and private matches; now I'm #1 in an A rundle for the second time ever.

I should have gotten Suzuki Method, but I said Kawasaki Method instead. I blame having seen Guy Lombardo on TV a few hours earlier and noting to myself that he was the namesake of former Apple marketer Guy Kawasaki.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

MD7

Post by RobW »

RTFQ!!

Saw "Titicaca" first, and my morning brain could only see Latin South America.
THEN
I go on to read "Roman engineer emperor" in the next clue, which sent me so far off track that the useful "famous drawing" hint did me no good. (Some famous drawing of Augustus??)

RTFQ!!

(thankfully my rage is offset by the appreciation of a frustrating miss that becomes that much more memorable 8-) )
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: MD7

Post by triviawayne »

RobW wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:23 am RTFQ!!

Saw "Titicaca" first, and my morning brain could only see Latin South America.
THEN
I go on to read "Roman engineer emperor" in the next clue, which sent me so far off track that the useful "famous drawing" hint did me no good. (Some famous drawing of Augustus??)

RTFQ!!

(thankfully my rage is offset by the appreciation of a frustrating miss that becomes that much more memorable 8-) )

I did the same latin vs south at first, then when I noticed latin, it became an instaget.

For the drawing, I had no idea at first, then focused on the year and the word drawing. Knowing it wasn’t a painting, and thinking about da vinci, I knew the name of the work. Then I guessed who it was since I always thought it was named after a city or something else instead of a person. I never heard of vitruvious, but made it my guess.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Add me to those who originally read "South" instead of "Latin". I was running through the countries in my head, finally re-read the question, and then it was an insta-get.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

2nd beer of my career. I only knew 2 answers going in, (Nicaragua, Suzuki), but guessed well enough to get the others.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

No idea how I knew Suzuki method but I did.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:27 am I got credit for "universal base income" instead of "universal basic income,"
I think you got lucky there. Those are two different things.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Yesterday I had 3 correct, which was good for a tie, but it was my first day this season with 3 or more correct. This season is still playing tough for me. I would like to stay in C, but the questions will have to play really favorably for me in the back half of the season in order for that to happen.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:52 am No idea how I knew Suzuki method but I did.
If you're anything like me, you got it ftom a track on the Gorillaz first album, "Left Hand Suzuki Method." Never heard of it otherwise.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

RJRouge wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:09 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:52 am No idea how I knew Suzuki method but I did.
If you're anything like me, you got it ftom a track on the Gorillaz first album, "Left Hand Suzuki Method." Never heard of it otherwise.
I thought i read once that a country music fiddler of some repute was trained in the Suzuki method, but right now I can't find the article.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:14 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:27 am I got credit for "universal base income" instead of "universal basic income,"
I think you got lucky there. Those are two different things.
I consider it analogous to the time I said that the S in NSAID stood for "steroid" instead of "steroidal" and got credit.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

You know how there's that question every once in a while where you see the results and wonder "how the heck does everyone other than me know this?" That was the UBI question for me on Friday. Even after seeing the answer it wasn't something that rang a bell for me. Weird.