LL82: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by bomtr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:51 pm You know how there's that question every once in a while where you see the results and wonder "how the heck does everyone other than me know this?" That was the UBI question for me on Friday. Even after seeing the answer it wasn't something that rang a bell for me. Weird.
I didn't know it either, but I thought there were a pretty limited number of phrases that could fit the acronym and apply to Yang's candidacy. I got it right with high but not supreme confidence. Still, I was surprised that the get rate was quite as high as it was.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

bomtr wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:58 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:51 pm You know how there's that question every once in a while where you see the results and wonder "how the heck does everyone other than me know this?" That was the UBI question for me on Friday. Even after seeing the answer it wasn't something that rang a bell for me. Weird.
I didn't know it either, but I thought there were a pretty limited number of phrases that could fit the acronym and apply to Yang's candidacy. I got it right with high but not supreme confidence. Still, I was surprised that the get rate was quite as high as it was.
I came up with "upward bound initiative." :)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Yeah, I guess this was the penalty for not paying much attention to Yang's candidacy heretofore. What really got me was that I put Universal Basic Income down as a guess, but then thought that Universal sounded a bit grandiose and wouldn't Uniform be more likely? Pffft.
classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by classicroadster »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:35 pm
bomtr wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:58 pm
I came up with "upward bound initiative." :)
Right there with you, I had no idea and had not heard of UBI. Admittedly, I am not a civics expert and am not paying much attention to the debates at this point. But I was one of 3 or 4 in my D rundle to get it wrong...Didn't matter at the end of the day as I got a 3(3) - 0(1) win. My opponent also missed UBI.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This American Life had an episode a couple of months ago that profiled a few of the Democratic presidential candidates, and specifically talked about Andrew Yang and mentioned UBI and what it stood for. I didn't remember the actual term, but I remembered enough of the segment to come up with some plausible ideas. U was, to me, obviously "universal," since everybody was supposed to get money under this plan, so BI had to refer to the money. For a while the best I could come up with for them was "budget" or "budgetary," and "influx" or "infusion." I believe I had "universal budget infusion" typed in and the "I'm ready to submit" button checked when I realized the I could stand for "income." So with the idea that someone who was not earning money would at least be getting this, I called it "base income."* I knew I would be at the Commissioner's mercy when I saw the answer, and I was lucky to be favored.

*Now that I'm thinking more carefully about how I phrased it, I realize it sounds more like a guaranteed minimum, which those under it would be bumped up to, than a flat amount given to everybody.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

To be fair, seaborgium, I have a lot more confidence in you being able to suss out the correct answer (or correct enough) to this than your typical D or E rundler, yet most of them knew it, too, so I've just got to assume it's something people just knew.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:39 pm To be fair, seaborgium, I have a lot more confidence in you being able to suss out the correct answer (or correct enough) to this than your typical D or E rundler, yet most of them knew it, too, so I've just got to assume it's something people just knew.
I think you may be overestimating knew vs guessed.

All the information was there for what it was about, universal and income can be guessed somewhat easily, and with the generous leeway, that means a lot of correct answers.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:14 pm with the generous leeway, that means a lot of correct answers.
Which I don't get. It stands for 'basic'. Period. There should be no leeway (other than obvious misspellings).
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

econgator wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:32 pm
triviawayne wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:14 pm with the generous leeway, that means a lot of correct answers.
Which I don't get. It stands for 'basic'. Period. There should be no leeway (other than obvious misspellings).
I’m with you on this one

I’ve heard of the UBI concept before Yang, but still fairly recently
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:39 pm To be fair, seaborgium, I have a lot more confidence in you being able to suss out the correct answer (or correct enough) to this than your typical D or E rundler, yet most of them knew it, too, so I've just got to assume it's something people just knew.
My point was less that I could work it out and more that I had heard about it from a recent episode of a very popular podcast.
econgator wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:32 pm
What is your opinion on my other example (S in NSAID, where I got credit for "steroid" instead of "steroidal")?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I was pretty sure the game show was Card Sharks, but it took me a long time to convince myself that each round started with a "Family Feud-style toss-up". I finally realized that in both cases 100 people are surveyed, and I was more confident to submit.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I instant got Toy Story 4 (I haven't seen it and I don't watch many movies) and Frankenstein, and those both had under 50% get rates, yet Jay-Z was above 50%. I didn't see that coming.

I waffled between Eminem and Missy Elliott on the rap question and went with the former. I knew that Eminem released an album before The Slim Shady LP, and though it did seem like an obscure thing to ask about I thought that maybe the independent record label was a hint. But I was pretty sure that the record label didn't belong to Eminem, and the name would have rung a bell if it did.

I am now dead last in my rundle, though only 1 point separates me and the lowest ranking person who is outside of relegation.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Got quilt on a WECIB but I thought he was looking for 2 different words until I reread the question for the 5th time.

Surprised at the low get for Card Sharks, given this summer’s reboot with Joel McHale
classicroadster

morbeedo wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:27 am Got quilt on a WECIB but I thought he was looking for 2 different words until I reread the question for the 5th time.

Surprised at the low get for Card Sharks, given this summer’s reboot with Joel McHale
I used to watch the old Card Sharks and even watched the reboot within the last 2 weeks and still couldn't remember the name. Went with Jokers Wild although I was sure it was wrong. Also missed the "Roc" hint in the Jay Z question and focused more on the year with my Ice Cube answer. Got a bit lucky with a 5(3) - 0(F) win against the rundle leader.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:02 am What is your opinion on my other example (S in NSAID, where I got credit for "steroid" instead of "steroidal")?
I may be a bit more lenient on that one, but I don't know for certain that 'non-steroid' and 'non-steroidal' have the exact same meaning. I would guess they do, but ...

As to 'base' and 'basic', as you yourself mentioned above, they aren't the same thing.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:33 am
seaborgium wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:02 am What is your opinion on my other example (S in NSAID, where I got credit for "steroid" instead of "steroidal")?
I may be a bit more lenient on that one, but I don't know for certain that 'non-steroid' and 'non-steroidal' have the exact same meaning. I would guess they do, but ...

As to 'base' and 'basic', as you yourself mentioned above, they aren't the same thing.
Ultimately I suppose I agree with you. But I'm being shortsighted because I knew exactly what the question was referring to and got really close with my guess!
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

I was one of the 36% who confidently answered The Lion King for highest-grossing G-rated movie. Now I really want to know what that movie did to earn a PG.
classicroadster

jev15 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:11 pm I was one of the 36% who confidently answered The Lion King for highest-grossing G-rated movie. Now I really want to know what that movie did to earn a PG.
My guess is violence... I was not sure if TS4 was PG but luckily I did not remember Lion King came out as well this summer.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

jev15 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:11 pm I was one of the 36% who confidently answered The Lion King for highest-grossing G-rated movie. Now I really want to know what that movie did to earn a PG.
"[F]or sequences of violence and peril, and some thematic elements." I think all of the "live-action" Disney remakes recently have been rated PG.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I thought "is the Lion King" really G? Oh well, since it has last month, and I know that one is a juggernaut I'll put it down.

TS4 is out of the top ten, so it's off my radar. Didn't happen to realize it did that much.

ETA: funny thing is, TS4 beat out another animated movie...yeah, The Lion King
Total game show career losings = $171,522