Tuesday, September 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1960s TV HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 1967 finale of “The Fugitive” drew in 78 million viewers, surpassing the 73 million who tuned into this show Sunday, February 9, 1964

Jason Zuffranieri: 25300+300=25600 (8x = $192,100)
Sean Melody: 6600-6600=0
Valerie Nolan: 12200+12000=24200

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Ed Sullivan Show (Sean – I Love Lucy)

Daily Doubles
Jason: 1800+1000
Jason: 12600+5000
Jason: 20800+2500

Coryats
Jason: 21400
Sean: 6600
Valerie: 12200

Combined: 40,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jason: 9000
Sean: 1400
Valerie: 5800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The game had three new graphics for the Tuesdsay game:
Spoiler
Jason still won even though Alex invoked the name of James Holzhauer in his opening remarks.

Someone with time and editing skills could make a fun video of Valerie saying all of her correct responses as her English accent was very pleasant.

Another sweep of DD discovery for Jason and this time he went 3/3.

The FJ! category had me very optimistic to get off the schneid early for S36 and the clue did not disappoint since my pen was down and done before Alex finished reading. My precalls were off base with Star Trek, Laugh-In and The Flintstones.
redtie103

Post by redtie103 »

Jason is really, really fast and a heck of a nice guy. There was a lot of camaraderie in the green room and he told me about his Geeks who Drink trivia team that won the national competition a few years ago. That was a little intimidating as I play that trivia and am lucky to get half the music round questions right! When I came up for my game, he asked me if I had gotten the triple stumper Final from Monday and I told him yes, as I'm a Bible guy. So that gave me confidence that I might be able to take him down. Then he put his amazing buzzer skills and wide range of knowledge to work and it was another runaway. Valerie was also quick on the buzzer. It's true what they say - most of the time all three of us knew the response. It really does come down to buzzer skill!

Alex told us after that he had the writers add the word "Sunday" to the clue. Jason said he wouldn't have gotten it without it. I laughed once I realized the answer. I'll admit that I'm not a fan of that band so I had listened to a bunch of their music and read their Wikipedia page but it just didn't come to me under the lights with the music playing.

Everyone that I interacted with at Jeopardy! was amazing. I'm pretty sure if you are not a kind person, they won't call you to the show. All of the contestants were polite and fun to interact with. Alex is of course, amazing. He had a twinkle in his eye after he interviewed me about my Name that Song victory.

Overall, it was a great experience. It's so encouraging to be surrounded by smart contestants and people that are passionate about trivia and learning. I am bummed about Victor yesterday. After he told me he works for the Jaguars, I told him to take good care of Nick Foles for all of us Eagles fans. Victor! You let me down!! :lol:

Thanks to the community of folks at jboard.tv, TheJeopardyFan, and reddit.com/r/jeopardy ! My one takeaway from this experience is that there is all this beauty around us for us to learn about. Find an opera and listen to it! Go to an art museum! Read a classic! Learn something new and enjoy the process!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Sean posted on The Jeopardy! Fan and on Reddit that Alex told the players that the writers added the word "Sunday" to the FJ! clue.

If this had been the clue's wording:

The 1967 finale of “The Fugitive” drew in 78 million viewers, surpassing the 73 million who tuned into this show, February 9, 1964

Does that change anyone's get into a possible miss? Sean also shared that Jason said he would not have got it right without that day of the week hint.

For me it's no difference in getting the fast solve.

Sean: Thank you for the mention of JBoard in your remarks and comments are fine in this thread at any time now that the game has aired in at least one market in the U.S.

Tough draw for you sandwiched with two players so good on the buzzer timing and sorry you were a day late from playing a FJ! clue you did know.
redtie103

Post by redtie103 »

Thanks @Mark! I did post on this board but it went to quarantine (probably because I'm a new user)
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Did all the clues zoom forward, or were there closeups of the middle-value clues?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:44 pm Did all the clues zoom forward, or were there closeups of the middle-value clues?
The majority of clue selection jumped about and was mostly from the bottom up. This led to the shot of the whole board and then the clue zoom. When Valerie got a top clue and picked the next one down then it was a cut to the next clue without zoom and more like a quick changing of a projector slide.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

1964-02-09 should be an unforgettable date for a Beatles fan, whether or not they were old enough to have watched it live.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:55 pm
jeopardyfan939 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:44 pm Did all the clues zoom forward, or were there closeups of the middle-value clues?
The majority of clue selection jumped about and was mostly from the bottom up. This led to the shot of the whole board and then the clue zoom. When Valerie got a top clue and picked the next one down then it was a cut to the next clue without zoom and more like a quick changing of a projector slide.
Did the dollar value appear first and then change to the clue?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:47 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:55 pm
Did the dollar value appear first and then change to the clue?
Dollar value first and then clue perhaps happened once (or twice) in the J! round when it was a clue selection in the same category and next value down. Very rare instance in this game with the scattered clue calling and higher values called first. The most common shot was the clue zooming in after the full board was displayed without the value displayed.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:30 pm Sean posted on The Jeopardy! Fan and on Reddit that Alex told the players that the writers added the word "Sunday" to the FJ! clue.

If this had been the clue's wording:

The 1967 finale of “The Fugitive” drew in 78 million viewers, surpassing the 73 million who tuned into this show, February 9, 1964

Does that change anyone's get into a possible miss? Sean also shared that Jason said he would not have got it right without that day of the week hint.

For me it's no difference in getting the fast solve.

Sean: Thank you for the mention of JBoard in your remarks and comments are fine in this thread at any time now that the game has aired in at least one market in the U.S.

Tough draw for you sandwiched with two players so good on the buzzer timing and sorry you were a day late from playing a FJ! clue you did know.
I read the FJ as "name a show that had a big episode in 1964" so no, omitting the Sunday wouldn't have made me miss it.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Coryat: $26,400

32 R (2 DDs), 4 W--Missed the pearls before swine DD.

FJ—Yes, this was an instaget because I'm too young to know what else was on TV in February 1964 besides The Beatles. Thus, for me, it wouldn't have mattered whether "Sunday" was included or not.

LT: ixnay, The Howling
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Anyone got a copy of today's episode? Apparently the state of Michigan has never had a tornado before and WNEM's going all Chicken Little about it.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I thought today's FJ was as easy as yesterday's was hard. And it still would have been an instaget for me without the "Sunday."
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

FJ! took me longer than I care to admit, but I got there before the music ended. Went down the garden path towards Westerns first, then briefly thought of What's My Line? when seeing Sunday, before finally going "Oh, 1964. Beatles. Ed Sullivan."
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

Instaget FJ, and didn't need Sunday. Did briefly flash on I Love Lucy having Ricky, but it had to be Ed Sullivan.

Knew 2 DDs, would not have gotten the third one. I'll have to look back to see which question I didn't know. Had a couple Lach Trash as well.

Nice comments, Redtie, and I would agree with everything you said about the contestant coordinators. They were terrific to me, too.
Pending...
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ataturk! Still kicking myself. One of those cases where the name is familiar but nothing's coming.

I'll take FOLLOW THE LIEDER over PIG LATIN any day of the week.

With "Prejudice" in the title, it had to be Jane Austen
davey

Post by davey »

A Sunday early in the year made me think of the Super Bowl first, so possibly taking that out would have made me get it quicker...(And yes, I now know it wasn't called the Super Bowl until the year of that Fugitive finale...)
The Ed Sullivan Show was usually on in my house, so I assume we watched it that Sunday, though I have no memory...but I remember watching The Fugitive 3 years later...!