Monday, September 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, September 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

davey wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:43 pm
Category 13 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:38 pm
Woppy T wrote: I thought the 2 name category in DJ was poorly done. Alex, in his instructions and in providing the correct responses, gave two names, but the contestants kept doing portmanteaus. Obviously they would have accepted either, but this could have been explained better.
This.
I was sure they were supposed to say the two names as one, even after Alex explained it.

On the first clue revealed in that category: I could have sworn they were going for Barry Levinson on the back half, but the correct response ended with (Jerry) Seinfeld. I guess I just totally miss heard the clue. Can somebody post up the actual verbage?
No, the correct response ended with the director of Addams Family Values...Barry Sonnenfeld.
Right, Rainbow Coalition guy leading to Jacksonnenfeld. The way the category played out Jackson & Sonnenfeld would have worked as well.

The writers were not easing contestants and viewers into the new season with that category and the FJ! clue. Some of the game felt like a dive into the deep end right out of the locker room.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

davey wrote:
Category 13 wrote: On the first clue revealed in that category: I could have sworn they were going for Barry Levinson on the back half, but the correct response ended with (Jerry) Seinfeld. I guess I just totally miss heard the clue. Can somebody post up the actual verbage?
No, the correct response ended with the director of Addams Family Values...Barry Sonnenfeld.
Thanks.
I was trying to think of Levinson as soon as I heard "Barry". I wouldn't have known that he didn't direct Addams Family Values. Then my brain did an auto reflex that made me think I heard "Seinfeld" instead of Sonnenfeld.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Category 13 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:40 pm
davey wrote:
Category 13 wrote: On the first clue revealed in that category: I could have sworn they were going for Barry Levinson on the back half, but the correct response ended with (Jerry) Seinfeld. I guess I just totally miss heard the clue. Can somebody post up the actual verbage?
Thanks.
I was trying to think of Levinson as soon as I heard "Barry". I wouldn't have known that he didn't direct Addams Family Values. Then my brain did an auto reflex that made me think I heard "Seinfeld" instead of Sonnenfeld.
I would say much more well known for the Men in Black films, they definitely went on the hard side by going way back to Addams Family Values.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

pinkfreud wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:38 am Now I am imagining Goliath with his hair dyed black, wearing eyeliner and black lipstick and listening to Bauhaus.
Listening? I see Goliath, the Goth of Gath as the drummer of a band called "The Philistines" and playing a huge drum set.

But I still had an instaget on FJ! Good way to start the season.
--Peter
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Peter the accountant wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:08 am
pinkfreud wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:38 am Now I am imagining Goliath with his hair dyed black, wearing eyeliner and black lipstick and listening to Bauhaus.
Listening? I see Goliath, the Goth of Gath as the drummer of a band called "The Philistines" and playing a huge drum set.
I'm with you on the names, but I think it was a Roland electronic drum set, and he played it standing up.
earendel

Post by earendel »

The story of David and Goliath notes that David took "five smooth stones" when he went to face the giant. Do you know why he took five stones?
Spoiler
In case the rest of the Philistine basketball team showed up!
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Speaking of obscurities in the Bible, last week one of the pastors read from the book of Philemon. I think this is the first time anybody has ever read the book of Philemon.
earendel

Post by earendel »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:00 pmSpeaking of obscurities in the Bible, last week one of the pastors read from the book of Philemon. I think this is the first time anybody has ever read the book of Philemon.
Not so. Our Bible study class is studying the epistles of Paul, and we just finished Philemon.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:00 pm Speaking of obscurities in the Bible, last week one of the pastors read from the book of Philemon. I think this is the first time anybody has ever read the book of Philemon.
It was the scheduled New Testament reading for that Sunday in the Anglican lectionary, Year C. So it should come up once every three years. I suspect your church is following a similar if not identical lectionary. I was the one who did the New Testament reading at our church. It wasn't the first time I'd read the book, but it was probably the first time I'd done so out loud with an audience.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:51 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:00 pm Speaking of obscurities in the Bible, last week one of the pastors read from the book of Philemon. I think this is the first time anybody has ever read the book of Philemon.
It was the scheduled New Testament reading for that Sunday in the Anglican lectionary, Year C. So it should come up once every three years. I suspect your church is following a similar if not identical lectionary. I was the one who did the New Testament reading at our church. It wasn't the first time I'd read the book, but it was probably the first time I'd done so out loud with an audience.
This was a slightly exaggerated observation on how obscure some books of the Bible seem. It seems like Titus and Jude rarely get touched either, and that Jonah seems far more well-known than any of the other minor prophets.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:28 pm This was a slightly exaggerated observation on how obscure some books of the Bible seem. It seems like Titus and Jude rarely get touched either, and that Jonah seems far more well-known than any of the other minor prophets.
Jonah's the only one that tells a cool G-rated story. Veggie Tales never got around to featuring Hosea and his prostitute wife.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Hammer, pastors read the Bible out of a lectionary. You can look through the lectionary and see how often readings from Philemon come up. Most churches use a lectionary that repeats every three years. Most lectionaries also spend most of the year on one of the three Gospels. There is a Matthew Mark and Luke year. John is split up and spread among the three years.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I have heard Philemon preached on in a Baptist church. It's not particularly obscure.