LL82: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by RandyG »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:47 pm Only 35% recognize the Mercury Seven? I'm flabbergasted.
Same here. And the weirder thing is that it had the lowest Avg D (1.0), which generally means that it was considered the easiest question. I assigned my opponent with an 88% get rate in American History a no-brainer "0", and she missed it. Didn't affect the match outcome -- my first win of the season, omg -- but didn't exactly help my DE.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:40 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:05 am I didn't think it would be "The Periodic Table," which felt a little clunky to me (and besides, the actual thing has more than 21 elements! Even in 1975!), and I vacillated between "Periodic" and "Periodical" before trying to think of something that sounded a little more literary, and came up with "The Atomic Age." Somehow it softened the blow to avoid close but no cigar (not to mention, now that I know, the MCWA) with "Periodic."
Pretty much my thinking, too. I ended up going with the MCWA.

Also, I never knew (OK, fine, never bothered to look up to see) that 'lynx' was a plural.
funny, that was the one team name I could come up with
Total game show career losings = $171,522
jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jjwaymee »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:47 pm Only 35% recognize the Mercury Seven? I'm flabbergasted.
I almost missed it because I immediately went "Astronauts = Moon = Luna!" Then I read it again...

I have had the Mercury Seven memorized ever since the Jeopardy Ultimate ToC final game. Wow, that's been fourteen years now.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

RandyG wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:00 pm
Same here. And the weirder thing is that it had the lowest Avg D (1.0), which generally means that it was considered the easiest question. I assigned my opponent with an 88% get rate in American History a no-brainer "0", and she missed it. Didn't affect the match outcome -- my first win of the season, omg -- but didn't exactly help my DE.
I’m with you guys. I figured that even if you didn’t have a Pavlovian Mercury 7 response, a quick review of the space programs would reveal only one pinned to a Roman deity.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Sounds about right to me even for the Baby Boomer demographic. If LL is this low, the general public has no name recognition for it. The arbitrary (to most of us) designations don't provide any context or perspective now. It's just the "space program", or the "Moon landing" program, or eventually the "shuttle" program. I'd forgotten there was a "Gemini" program between Mercury and Apollo. They've had their 15 minutes, and we didn't even get Tang or Velcro out of the waste of resources.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:03 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:33 pm Canada is an island?
Canada is not an island, but neither is Denmark. However, both possess large islands "under their domain."
I still don't like the bait and switch angle of the clue. A park bigger than the top 30 countries should come from one of the top 30. But, the tangled syntax of the clue should have been the TOM that it indeed probably wasn't a top 30 country. A freshman newbie mistake - must remember that every word is there for a reason.

Another freshman mistake on the Variety show. It was fill in the blanks with: pronoun "your" , blank, preposition "of", blank, and QUESTION MARK. I took the punctuation to be part of the title. It kind of didn't look italicized, but I couldn't be sure.
The "?" sent me astray on guessing word pairs. It didn't matter, I would not have gotten to Show of Shows, but would have known it in a multiple choice quiz. Details, details

eta: correction to the show clue, thanks teapot37. I need a sharpie to explain all my mis-statements.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:03 pm Another freshman mistake on the Variety show. It was fill in the blanks with: article "the" , blank, preposition "of", blank, and QUESTION MARK. I took the punctuation to be part of the title. It kind of didn't look italicized, but I couldn't be sure.
The "?" sent me astray on guessing word pairs. It didn't matter, I would not have gotten to Show of Shows, but would have known it in a multiple choice quiz. Details, details..
No "the" in the title though; it's Your Show of Shows.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

StevenH wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:41 am
The only WNBA teams that I could think of were the Sparks and the Comets, and I thought that there was a good chance that at least one was defunct. I got lucky and went the right way on that one!
Comets was my guess. The Liberty are the only current team I could have named confidently. I'm glad I didn't know of the Lynx.

Periodic Table was my proudest get. For most of the day my answer was "Transition", but it eventually struck me as a bit New-Agey for 1975.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

When you get your first 6 of the season :) but your win moves you up exactly 0 spots in the standings :x
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

How are others finding this season difficulty-wise? Right now I'm up about 50 points on my historical QPct, so it's been easier than normal for me. Unfortunately my poor defense has left me mired in the bottom half of my rundle.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This is my first time, so I don't know what to expect. I have gone for the skunk more than once, and don't think I've ever done better than half of the questions right.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

So far this season has played a tad easier than last for me but well within normal variance. YMMV as they say.
Last edited by Woof on Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:05 pm How are others finding this season difficulty-wise? Right now I'm up about 50 points on my historical QPct, so it's been easier than normal for me. Unfortunately my poor defense has left me mired in the bottom half of my rundle.
I'm up about 50 points over my last two seasons. OTOH, LL as a whole is almost exactly where it was last season and about 30 points lower than two seasons ago. I wonder, though, whether the overall LL get rate is as good a barometer as it used to be given the league's growth. I would imagine that the influx of rookies, who are increasingly likely to be trivia-interested normies rather than hardcore trivia/quiz bowl nerds, would reduce the overall get rate, but I haven't researched the matter.
Sprinkles are for winners.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:05 pm How are others finding this season difficulty-wise? Right now I'm up about 50 points on my historical QPct, so it's been easier than normal for me. Unfortunately my poor defense has left me mired in the bottom half of my rundle.
My QPct is down about 25 points and my defense sucks, too. I've given up 3-pointers in half the matches so far.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:10 pm
I'm up about 50 points over my last two seasons. OTOH, LL as a whole is almost exactly where it was last season and about 30 points lower than two seasons ago. I wonder, though, whether the overall LL get rate is as good a barometer as it used to be given the league's growth. I would imagine that the influx of rookies, who are increasingly likely to be trivia-interested normies rather than hardcore trivia/quiz bowl nerds, would reduce the overall get rate, but I haven't researched the matter.
I'm up about 0.080 on my historical rate... but my question percentage has been slowly (and not really steadily) improving. I think that is true for many of us, as we learn more, and get more experienced with LL-style questions.

The trivia app boom (mostly subsided), the resurgence of pub quizzing with big companies across the continent and the Holzhauer Jeopardy effect suggest to me that LL has still not caught all the trivia-interested people. I don't think we are diluting the A-E rundles bringing in rookies each year - though I admit I haven't looked at statistics. Certainly the qpct of rookies is closer to that of D rundle than that of E.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This season started out harder for me, though I am under the impression that the questions have just done a good job of attacking my weaknesses and that the leaguewide get rates have been about average. The last couple days have played easy, so I am back to being at about my average historic TCA.

Like econgator, assigning defense has been tough for me this season and I have surrendered a 3-pointer in about half of the matches so far. I am on track for my second worst defensive season outside of my rookie season.
Charis
Contributor

Post by Charis »

jjwaymee wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:02 pm
I almost missed it because I immediately went "Astronauts = Moon = Luna!" Then I read it again...

I have had the Mercury Seven memorized ever since the Jeopardy Ultimate ToC final game. Wow, that's been fourteen years now.
I knew they were astronauts because of that FJ. I just forgot which project and said Apollo.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Woof wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:08 pm
RandyG wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:00 pm
I’m with you guys. I figured that even if you didn’t have a Pavlovian Mercury 7 response, a quick review of the space programs would reveal only one pinned to a Roman deity.
Apollo is coming for you.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:15 am
StevenH wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:24 am I was really surprised by the low get rate on Romanov
I thought about this one a long time and I can't say Romanov was something that really crossed my mind. "Rurikids" just doesn't scream Russian to me at all. I ended up putting Pahlavi.
I knew that one, but expected it to be hard and assigned 3 points. But then I watched Wednesday's Jeopardy! after submitting Thursday's LL, and realized the Romanovs were prominently mentioned - there was a DD about Nicholas & Alexandra. I would've assigned fewer points had I known that. (It didn't hurt me, but that's because I got all 6 that day.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Did trout have the highest get rate? Surely the highest in a long time. I read that one, and went, "Seriously, Thorsten?"
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

alietr wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:49 am Did trout have the highest get rate? Surely the highest in a long time. I read that one, and went, "Seriously, Thorsten?"
This is only my 8th season but its the highest I can remember...I wonder what the get rate would've been if he left off rainbow.

My Koin came up with Fuller instead of Wright costing me a win.