New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:41 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:34 am
One other note from the tourney is 12 players came on stage after F2. The ones not seen: D.J. Smith, Bob Winthrop & Katie O’Callaghan.

DJ Smith was DQ'd after the first round heats due to some unspecified ineligibilty issues. Not clear about BW and KO'C.
Players eliminated in the QF round have the option to stay for Day 2 or not. Yes, D.J. not being around was understandable and he may not have had a choice. His earlier WoF appearance before year was up has been cited here. Bob seems to have missed out on the unexpected open slot in the semis on a tiebreaker of FJ! clue success trumping DJ! round score back then. He and Katie could have decided one day of studio experience was enough. Katie would have been close enough to be back home the first night and back at work the next day.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

In this game I think the $2000 "NATIVE AMERICAN TRIBES" clue in supposed to be in the "GRAINS" category. I couldn't find a way to use the suggest-a-correction tool on the website to say that the category was mixed up.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4905
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:34 am Players eliminated in the QF round have the option to stay for Day 2 or not. Yes, D.J. not being around was understandable and he may not have had a choice. His earlier WoF appearance before year was up has been cited here. Bob seems to have missed out on the unexpected open slot in the semis on a tiebreaker of FJ! clue success trumping DJ! round score back then. He and Katie could have decided one day of studio experience was enough. Katie would have been close enough to be back home the first night and back at work the next day.
This happened at least one other time (that I'm aware of) in the Feb. 1997 Teen Tournament. Brian Joseph was not seen when everyone else came on stage for the closing of Finals #2 (after Josh Den Hartog won). I think him not coming back for the second day might have had something to do with him going all-in and missing FJ, only to realize that he could have a Wild Card spot if he chose to bet zero.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=664
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

bluejaylink wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:38 pm In this game I think the $2000 "NATIVE AMERICAN TRIBES" clue in supposed to be in the "GRAINS" category. I couldn't find a way to use the suggest-a-correction tool on the website to say that the category was mixed up.

Yes, you are right. Do a clue correction on that clue 29 and you should be able to point out the error that way. My preference is for it to go through official channels instead of my jumping into a game I did not Archive and to fix it on my own.

Two clues still in play.
[Sighs]
Grains, $2,000.
Andrew.
What is semolina?
No. Dan.
What is durum?
Durum, yes. And now the--
[Beep beep beep]
Well, we won't get to that one. A $4,000 switch right there. It's not a runaway, though, for Dan. Final Jeopardy! still to come. Here it is--colleges & universities. You've all been there? Make a wager. Back in a moment.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:00 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:34 am Players eliminated in the QF round have the option to stay for Day 2 or not. Yes, D.J. not being around was understandable and he may not have had a choice. His earlier WoF appearance before year was up has been cited here. Bob seems to have missed out on the unexpected open slot in the semis on a tiebreaker of FJ! clue success trumping DJ! round score back then. He and Katie could have decided one day of studio experience was enough. Katie would have been close enough to be back home the first night and back at work the next day.
This happened at least one other time (that I'm aware of) in the Feb. 1997 Teen Tournament. Brian Joseph was not seen when everyone else came on stage for the closing of Finals #2 (after Josh Den Hartog won). I think him not coming back for the second day might have had something to do with him going all-in and missing FJ, only to realize that he could have a Wild Card spot if he chose to bet zero.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=664
I think I counted 13 players at the end of Seniors 1993, so I suspect there are many tourneys when some contestants got out of Dodge after day one.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:05 pm
bluejaylink wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:38 pm In this game I think the $2000 "NATIVE AMERICAN TRIBES" clue in supposed to be in the "GRAINS" category. I couldn't find a way to use the suggest-a-correction tool on the website to say that the category was mixed up.

Yes, you are right. Do a clue correction on that clue 29 and you should be able to point out the error that way. My preference is for it to go through official channels instead of my jumping into a game I did not Archive and to fix it on my own.

Two clues still in play.
[Sighs]
Grains, $2,000.
Andrew.
What is semolina?
No. Dan.
What is durum?
Durum, yes. And now the--
[Beep beep beep]
Well, we won't get to that one. A $4,000 switch right there. It's not a runaway, though, for Dan. Final Jeopardy! still to come. Here it is--colleges & universities. You've all been there? Make a wager. Back in a moment.
I went ahead and made the fix, let me know if there is still something wrong.
joey2121
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by joey2121 »

I’m writing something about the ‘87 ToC(I don’t know where to put this tbh), is there a link to Day 2 of the Finals where I can watch it?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

joey2121 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:35 pm I’m writing something about the ‘87 ToC(I don’t know where to put this tbh), is there a link to Day 2 of the Finals where I can watch it?
No.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I filled in 2/27/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1443

All of the links should work.

Rita Hedgespeth, Kevin Scott and Patty Crowell already have their pics in the Archive.

Sorry trainman that the players did not complete your category.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:31 am Sorry trainman that the players did not complete your category.
Why not apologize to me since they only got through TWO clues in my category.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:40 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:31 am Sorry trainman that the players did not complete your category.
Why not apologize to me since they only got through TWO clues in my category.
Every category's your category.

You can pick out what would have been the missing three from among these that J! likes:

#4806, aired 2005-06-27 AUTHOR'S MAIDEN NAMES $400: Elizabeth Browning
#4806, aired 2005-06-27 AUTHOR'S MAIDEN NAMES $800: Laura Wilder
#4806, aired 2005-06-27 AUTHOR'S MAIDEN NAMES $1200: Mary Dodge
#4806, aired 2005-06-27 AUTHOR'S MAIDEN NAMES $1600: Adela St. Johns
#4806, aired 2005-06-27 AUTHOR'S MAIDEN NAMES $2000: Mary Rinehart
#2856, aired 1997-01-20 WOMEN NOVELISTS $400: Maiden name of "Frankenstein" author Mary, or "A Mother And Two Daughters" author Gail
#1195, aired 1989-11-10 AUTHORS' MAIDEN NAMES $200: Anne Lindbergh's maiden name
#1195, aired 1989-11-10 AUTHORS' MAIDEN NAMES $400: Julia Howe's
#1195, aired 1989-11-10 AUTHORS' MAIDEN NAMES $600: Adela St. Johns'
#1195, aired 1989-11-10 AUTHORS' MAIDEN NAMES $800: Mary Rinehart's
#1195, aired 1989-11-10 AUTHORS' MAIDEN NAMES $1000: Mary Dodge's
#670, aired 1987-07-03 AUTHORS' MAIDEN NAMES $100: Laura Wilder's maiden name
#670, aired 1987-07-03 AUTHORS' MAIDEN NAMES $200: Helen Brown's maiden name
#670, aired 1987-07-03 AUTHORS' MAIDEN NAMES $300: Elizabeth Browning's maiden name
#670, aired 1987-07-03 AUTHORS' MAIDEN NAMES $400: Claire Luce's maiden name
#670, aired 1987-07-03 AUTHORS' MAIDEN NAMES $500: Mary Rinehart's maiden name

I included the two that were played to show how predictable it was that they showed up.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

I'll go with Mapes, Rogers, and Roberts. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I like real trains better than model ones anyway.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:15 pm For next week I am lining up the games to archive. When I enter a new person into the Archive I have to include how they did in the tournament. I have notes and of course the tapes while often I find it easier to recall if a player was QF only, semifinalist or finalist by looking at the Wikipedia article for the College and Teen players. Seniors not available is old news.

Today the college page looked different to me with a lot of the player information year by year gone: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeopardy! ... ampionship

while in July I could look at let's say 1993 and see the player names and which round they made it to

Who, what, where, when why?
Now the page is gone entirely and redirects to "List of Jeopardy! tournaments and events."
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:37 pm Now the page is gone entirely and redirects to "List of Jeopardy! tournaments and events."
Fortunately all the content is, for the moment, still on Wikipedia if you look for it.

For the record: AldezD nominated the article for deletion 2019-07-20 (after a 2010 AfD resulted in "Keep"). Two other users chimed in, one voted "Keep" and another voted "Delete". RoySmith then closed the AfD as "The result was redirect to List of Jeopardy! tournaments and events. There's not really enough here to declare a consensus, but closing this as NC ["no consensus"] wouldn't make sense." Even though the original AfD was not to determine whether a redirect was proper but whether the page should be deleted. And the contradiction between "there is no consensus" and "closing this as NC wouldn't make sense" is obvious. Of course it would make sense to close an AfD as NC when there is no consensus.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:01 am
seaborgium wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:37 pm Now the page is gone entirely and redirects to "List of Jeopardy! tournaments and events."
Fortunately all the content is, for the moment, still on Wikipedia if you look for it.
Thanks for the link. It made transcribing Alex's remarks at the end of the episode so much easier.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6406

Finished up the pannoni game I started at work a couple of weeks ago, May 10, 1991, College Championship quarterfinal game 5, Scott Gillispie vs. Mike Furlanetto vs. Katie Czukas. Kind of tough game in places, again, if you ask me.

FIRST LADIES for $600 feels obscure on its face, but it would have been an easier guess in 1991, since it's really just Very Current Events. The city appears with her name one other time in the Archive, albeit then along with the much more helpful clue of "Pierce".
We're not being wry when we tell you this first lady was born in Rye, New York in 1925
Spoiler
Who is Barbara Bush?
Double clues of the game, both from DJ!. First MATHEMATICS for $600, which is just a cute clue:
A league is 3 miles; if you go ½ a league, ½ a league, ½ a league on, you've gone this many miles
I always like when they have the little fraction symbols in a clue. And then second, OLD MONEY for $1000, which I must admit, stumped me:
This old Spanish coin is twice as nice as the rest, as its name means twofold
Spoiler
What is 4 and a half?
What is a doubloon?
That wiki link updated the name of Kelly Barbara's school, it was called "East Texas State" at the time of her appearance. Not a fan of that kind of thing.

I think I've got another partial game going, so I'll attend to that next, unless something else distracts me. Good day.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I guessed wrong, but I don’t think it was that obscure. The list of First Ladies (as of 1991) who could possibly have been born in 1925 is fairly short. New York eliminates Lady Bird and Carter, as their husbands are strongly associated with other states. Nixon, Ford, and Reagan all had California or midwestern roots.

That leaves us with Jackie O and Bush. So it is pretty much a coin flip. Kennedy was born in Southampton, New York in 1929. Kennedy comes off as more New Yorkish, so I would say it was a bit misleading.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I filled in 2/28/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1444

That should complete February 2002 and all of the links should work.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I hope Andy won't mind, but I needed a change of pace, so I jumped in and entered the Season 4 premiere from Netflix. September 7, 1987, Ken Higgins vs. Phyllis Rosenthal vs. Michael Seiler.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6415

Lots of Don't Bother clues to not put on your flash cards in this one. You don't need to know the ex-Good Morning America host who said "Oh, gosh" an average 4.3 times per episode, or the most popular S&H Green Stamps item in 1986 (David Hartman and an electric can opener, respectively). But the country singer of "Lookin' for Love" is a good one (new to the J-Canon, as well), as are the 3 superstar ladies from the album "Trio", and the "San Francisco military base since 1776". I missed them myself, and by golly they're flashcards now.
Spoiler
Johnny Lee; Linda Rondstat, Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris; the Presidio
DJ! had what seemed like an intriguing category, CELEBRITY JEOPARDY!, which was described as quotes compiled from celebs especially for the show. But it turned out to be just general descriptions of comedy figures, so I wasn't too disappointed they only got to 2 of them. That Sid Caesar clue would have helped some people for LearnedLeague last week.

Both rounds ended with Daily Doubles. Champion Michael got the last clue of the game, then wagered a measly $1000 from third. He got it right, but still finished the round in 3rd place! Maybe the fact it was an Audio DD scared him.

Clue of the game will be a cute DD, PRESIDENTS for $400 (DJ!):
While President Lincoln gave 1 in 1863, Pres. Eisenhower had 1 from 1951 until his death
Spoiler
What is a Gettysburg Address? Phyllis stumbled into the correct response with a "be more specific".
So that one I could do quick. Now to see if I can knock out the last 10 clues on the other incomplete game I've got going before my work week begins tomorrow morning.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

^ Alex relinquished his Executive Producer role for season 4, handing off those duties to George Vosburgh, who would serve as EP until 1997.

Say, since Netflix has the S5 premiere, when will that be up?