Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by CasketRomance »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:11 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:33 am
mas3cf wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:53 am Good catch. My first source said 99 was the record, but NOAA says 100. Unfortunately, that ruins the clue because Alaska would also fit. Deleted.
Or you could do what CasketRomance said and just change "of" to "over."
Did that, but had to add the qualifier "other than Alaska" because both states have a record of exactly 100.

We've lost the element of "I'd guess Alaska, but would that be too obvious?" which I thought was one of the neat things about that clue.

didn't realise alaska was on exactly 100...knew hawaii was on the nose, but for some reason thought alaska had eclipsed 100
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:19 am
didn't realise alaska was on exactly 100...knew hawaii was on the nose, but for some reason thought alaska had eclipsed 100
Not yet, but it's bound to one of these days. :? Amazingly, the 100 record is from 1915!

I guess the silver lining is, once Fairbanks hits 110, I'll be able to word the clue the way I originally wanted to....
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:08 am
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:19 am
Not yet, but it's bound to one of these days. :? Amazingly, the 100 record is from 1915!

I guess the silver lining is, once Fairbanks hits 110, I'll be able to word the clue the way I originally wanted to....
I think it's a nice clue lots of ways. Maybe just ask for both states that have never gone over 100 F. You'd have to verify there's no lower 48 state that is not at least 101. There's also a little ambiguity in the word "state" since the 1915 record doesn't apply. It is still true in any event.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

SPORTS AND MUSIC

This NHL team uses a ballet number as its theme song.
Spoiler
What are the Buffalo Sabres? ("Sabre Dance" by Aram Khachaturian)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Wrote this one today, very much liking the job I did with it.

THE SUPER BOWL

The most recent time two teams from the same state faced each other in the Super Bowl was when these two teams met; the losing team making their only appearance, and the winning team making their fifth appearance, and first with a different quarterback.
Spoiler
San Francisco 49ers & San Diego Chargers
Total game show career losings = $171,522
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Got it! Nice one. You probably could have gotten rid of some or all of the TOM after the semicolon and made people think:
Spoiler
- States with 2+ teams: Florida, Texas, Ohio, Penn, New Jersey, California, Missouri (for a while)

- Florida: Dolphins/Jags vs. Bucs? Haha, no.
- Ohio: Browns/Bengals, ROTFLOL no. Also both AFC.
- Penn: Steelers have never faced Eagles
- Texas: Texans and Oilers have never been in it, so no.
- Jets vs. Giants, no.
- Chiefs vs Rams, no.
- That leaves California: NFC = 49ers and Rams. More likely 49ers. Last time they were in it, who did they face? Bingo!

That's solvable in 30 seconds, IMHO.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:15 pm Got it! Nice one. You probably could have gotten rid of some or all of the TOM after the semicolon and made people think:
Spoiler
- States with 2+ teams: Florida, Texas, Ohio, Penn, New Jersey, California, Missouri (for a while)

- Jets vs. Giants, no.
- Chiefs vs Rams, no.
- That leaves California: NFC = 49ers and Rams. More likely 49ers. Last time they were in it, who did they face? Bingo!

Spoiler
avoiding negbait of are the Giants in NJ or Ny for this question and avoiding people thinking about the Bills
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Spoiler
If someone thinks the Giants play in NY, they deserve a neg! Just ask Josh Allen.... :lol:
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:44 pmThe most recent time two teams from the same state faced each other in the Super Bowl was when these two teams met; the losing team making their only appearance, and the winning team making their fifth appearance, and first with a different quarterback.
In a real game the clue would be 1/3 this length (e.g., would end at the semicolon) and would only ask for the state. Probably even at ToC level.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:30 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:44 pmThe most recent time two teams from the same state faced each other in the Super Bowl was when these two teams met; the losing team making their only appearance, and the winning team making their fifth appearance, and first with a different quarterback.
In a real game the clue would be 1/3 this length (e.g., would end at the semicolon) and would only ask for the state. Probably even at ToC level.
Should we then have a thread of simply trivia questions we wrote and would like to share that aren’t worthy of FJ?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Eh, I was only offering my feedback on your clue, which, the feedback aside, I thought was a good one.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

triviawayne wrote:
mas3cf wrote: Got it! Nice one. You probably could have gotten rid of some or all of the TOM after the semicolon and made people think:
Spoiler

- Jets vs. Giants, no.
- Chiefs vs Rams, no.

Spoiler
avoiding negbait of are the Giants in NJ or Ny for this question and avoiding people thinking about the Bills
By mas3cf's logic, your solution wasn't the most recent time, it was the only time.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

A couple more made-ups:

GEOGRAPHY

Of the world's 100 most populous countries, it has the highest population density.
Spoiler
What is Bangladesh?
MONEY

In 1909, he became the first historical figure depicted on a regular-circulation US coin.
Spoiler
Who is Lincoln?
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

mas3cf wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:26 am A couple more made-ups:

GEOGRAPHY

Of the world's 100 most populous countries, it has the highest population density.
Spoiler
What is Bangladesh?
I like this one but think it needs a little more detail or perhaps a TOM.

I guessed
Spoiler
Singapore
which has a much higher density but apparently falls outside the top 100 most populous. I'm curious to see the ranking - can you provide a link?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Spoiler
What is Bangladesh?
Spoiler
Who is Abraham Lincoln?
Douglas Squasoni
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

heppm01 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:38 am

GEOGRAPHY

Spoiler
What is Bangladesh?
Agreed; I, too, considered
Spoiler
Singapore
but correctly guessed it wasn't within the top 100. However, I went with
Spoiler
Japan
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

heppm01 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:38 am

GEOGRAPHY

Spoiler
What is Bangladesh?

I guessed
Spoiler
Singapore
which has a much higher density but apparently falls outside the top 100 most populous. I'm curious to see the ranking - can you provide a link?
Here is the ranking.
Spoiler
Bangladesh is unusual because it's one of the 10 most populous countries, but it's pretty tiny. It has about half the population of the US in an area smaller than the state of Georgia!:

https://www.countries-ofthe-world.com/m ... tries.html

Singapore is probably going to be the most common wrong guess here, but it is so small, it would need about 80% more population to get to the top 100.

I thought about more TOM, but I wanted people to have to resist the temptation to guess a city-state. I suppose I could have said "top 50" or something to make it clearer that I was looking for something bigger....
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

mas3cf wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:42 am SPORTS AND MUSIC

This NHL team uses a ballet number as its theme song.
Spoiler
What are the Buffalo Sabres? ("Sabre Dance" by Aram Khachaturian)
Wonderful clue! I happened upon the answer fairly quickly as I played the relevant number in the school talent show in fourth grade.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:10 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:30 pm
Should we then have a thread of simply trivia questions we wrote and would like to share that aren’t worthy of FJ?
yeah that is a good idea
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

This 2002 box office hit was named after a street from the Midwestern city where it was filmed.
Spoiler
What is 8 Mile?