Friday, September 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: Friday, September 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by hbomb1947 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:02 pm Also, yesterday on the Oceans category, I WAGged on five clues and was wrong all five times. THAT is why I don't guess.
We're not talking about ringing in and guessing blindly on regular clues. We're talking about FJ, where not writing any response guarantees that you'll get it wrong.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:28 pm That eBook clue seemed poorly pinned. I don't know how there could've been an ebook in 1991.

Ran 2-Word Alliteration.

Sacco + Vanzetti and Beatles playing in Hamburg seemed obscure for the top box.

U.S. Currency seems like an easy narrow category... No idea who would've been a "foe of" Hamilton's legacy, because none of Washington, Jefferson, Jackson, or Grant seemed to fit. Why put down a guess, no matter what I put down will be wrong.

Lach Trash: Mercurochrome, pigeon
and you are supposed to work in the music industry? even i knew that and i hate the beatles
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

only foe i knew of hamilton was that burr dude...had no idea if that dude had ever been on currency and relegated to another piece before being permanently erased...so that is what i went with
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

LanceJ wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:49 pm It’s me! Can’t wait to watch tonight!

Re:FJ
Spoiler
i thought of Jackson immediately, but realized he was the “obvious” one since the $20’s been in the news. I was crushed so I needed a solo get for 2nd and decided to veer to another possible but unlikely answer assuming Heather would answer Jackson given how strongly she played all game. Oops! let that be a lesson to the potential contestants reading this—don’t get too clever! FJ is unpredictable! just answer correctly if you think you know it!
Also, that signaling device is a real trickster! Good game, y’all. What a blast.
Hey John! It's Barbara from Wednesday. You and Heather both did great! Enjoyed watching your game.
Pending...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:07 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:02 pm Also, yesterday on the Oceans category, I WAGged on five clues and was wrong all five times. THAT is why I don't guess.
We're not talking about ringing in and guessing blindly on regular clues. We're talking about FJ, where not writing any response guarantees that you'll get it wrong.
But there have been dozens and dozens and dozens of times where I've put down a WAG on FJ! and it was just as wrong as a blank (most recently yesterday). And literally ZERO where I've put down a WAG that has ended up being right.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:36 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:07 pm
But there have been dozens and dozens and dozens of times where I've put down a WAG on FJ! and it was just as wrong as a blank (most recently yesterday). And literally ZERO where I've put down a WAG that has ended up being right.
And yet you want to be on the show? Why?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:37 pm And yet you want to be on the show? Why?
Because I apparently tested well enough for my guessing skills not to matter. What I want to know is... HOW is my luck so abysmal that every time I DO guess I'm just as wrong? How do I constantly fail on even 1-in-3s in maingame play? How do I literally always pick the wrong side of a coin flip?!

For some reason a lot of the clues have felt very "off" to me this week. Like there's a lot of top box stuff that seems far more YEKIOYD than usual (e.g. Hull House = Chicago). Between that and utterly sucking at LL (hi Josh), I think a lot of the frustration is coming out way too early.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

econgator wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:04 pm Ummmmmmmm, what?
You must have missed that show-stopping track on the Lin-Manuel Miranda cast recording, "President A Billion Years Prior".

That's one more thing to worry about.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:04 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:02 pm Hamilton, who was president a billion years prior
Ummmmmmmm, what?
Why do I keep thinking Hamilton was a President? :oops:
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:03 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:02 pm Hamilton, who was president a billion years prior
Ummmmmmmm, what?
no idea...seeing he wasn't born in usa he could never have been president
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

FJ: WECIB? Jefferson is on the $2 but that only started in the 70’s, right?

I’m glad to see Jason continue his streak. I liked James when he was on but that promo for the ToC isn’t making me look forward to the ToC.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:10 pm
Ummmmmmmm, what?
His contemporaries who became president weren't born in the USA either.
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

Johnblue wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:33 pm FJ: WECIB? Jefferson is on the $2 but that only started in the 70’s, right?

I’m glad to see Jason continue his streak. I liked James when he was on but that promo for the ToC isn’t making me look forward to the ToC.
Uhhh why? It's just a commercial, lol. James brought in the ratings, it makes sense why they would center it around him. Plenty of great players in this year's ToC, I can't wait.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:36 pm
Ummmmmmmm, what?
born on what ended up being us soil
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

Johnblue wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:33 pm FJ: WECIB? Jefferson is on the $2 but that only started in the 70’s, right?
Jefferson on the $2 started in 1976, yes. But the $2 bill in general has been around a lot longer than that.
アタックチャンス!
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Jefferson appeared on the $2 as early as 1869, but not consistently until (I believe) 1918.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:53 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:36 pm

Ummmmmmmm, what?
born on what ended up being us soil
"or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution" — Article II, US Constitution, on who is eligible for the presidency
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

DD: 0/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

My purpose for being at this week's tapings was to support my boy LanceJ. All day I was hoping he wouldn't have to face off against Jason. Alas, he had to face The Quiet Buzzsaw. If only he had hit that DD asking about his home state. What might have been.

On FJ!, I never seriously considered anyone other than Jackson. "Foe of his legacy" seemed to suggest someone who came after Hamilton's death, and Jackson's shutting down of the national bank seemed to fit the bill (heh).
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My problem was that I Pavloved from "Hamilton" and "foe" to Burr, knew he wasn't on money, then pivoted to the president he was VP under. Then I remembered my days as a little child looking up "money" in the encyclopedia, and seeing an old $10 bill with the "wrong" president on it. Of course it was Jackson, but in that moment where I had already arrived at Jefferson, I couldn't see anyone but him on it.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:08 am
Heather got that $800 clue to put her at 9200 and the lock broken with those six top clues remaining. John woke up for three of them and Jason picked up two of them before time ran out to get to the last one.
That is what I call the innominate situation. Heather desperately needed to get within 50% of Jason. By suddenly springing into action, John slit both their throats. Today it didn't matter because no one got FJ.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.