New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6356

And I got it, Show #1700, January 10, 1992, Bill Dunn vs. Patricia Ford-Smith vs. Liz MacGillicuddy-Lucas, the next game on India Cooper's tape.

And if Michael on the last game wagered too conservatively on his end of game DD's, Bill wagered a bit recklessly. 3 clues left and he hits the first DD in DJ, and wagers $6000 of his $6200 (Liz is in first with $8100.) He misses it on a (sort of) coin toss, and then, with $200 left, hits the last DD on his next choice. He misses that one too, and ends up in an $800 hole, and out of FJ. He also hands Liz a commanding lead, and the win on a double get FJ chestnut.

Clue of the game will be SPIES for $800, an absolute Thing Worth Knowing, as far as Jeopardy is concerned:
Some 40 years after his death, this British spy who conspired with [Benedict] Arnold was interred in Westminster Abbey
Spoiler
Who is Major Andre?
SPIES for $600 showed me that I don't know the difference between Timothy Hutton and Timothy Dalton. That would be a good one to flash card too, actually. In fact, there's lots of good stuff here. SONNETS for $600 actually was on my index cards when I was prepping for the show back in the late 90s.

Have a good week.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 4/7/86: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6421 (Tom's last name is a guess and of course Andrea could be Reed.)

There is a second game on the recording that can be found using the new champ's name in the YT search box. I'll add that game next Saturday (hopefully) unless another archivist gets to it before then.

It looks like the recording has been there 8 months and I only found about it after getting a FB comment on one of my prior posts.

There's another 1986 J! game on DM that I have made my own recording of that I can add as time allows if it does not get input by someone else. My instincts tell me the heads up FB posts go to more than one archivist though I don't know for sure. Nice to know there are still S2 games out there and not in the Archive.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:10 pm Andrea could be Reed.)
Per HowManyOfMe.com:
Reed - 327,347
Reid - 127,304
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:10 pm I added 4/7/86: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6421 (Tom's last name is a guess and of course Andrea could be Reed.)
Alex said in the video that Tom had beaten a 4x champ. Do we (I use that pronoun loosely) know who that was? Considering Gary Palmer made the 1986 ToC with $18,400 over four wins, I'm assuming the ten 4xers in the tournament were a complete set of season 2 players in that category. Six of the ten (Leinwand, Becker, Eisenstat, Arbit, Green, and Shinkman) have some portion of their regular appearances archived, with dates that preclude them from being the one that Tom unseated. Furthermore, Lionel Goldbart has been mentioned as having lost his fifth game to Barbara Lowe, so he's out. That leaves Eric Schoeck, Guy Tonti, and the aforementioned Gary Palmer as the players Tom could have defeated.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:08 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:10 pm I added 4/7/86: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6421 (Tom's last name is a guess and of course Andrea could be Reed.)
Alex said in the video that Tom had beaten a 4x champ. Do we (I use that pronoun loosely) know who that was? Considering Gary Palmer made the 1986 ToC with $18,400 over four wins, I'm assuming the ten 4xers in the tournament were a complete set of season 2 players in that category. Six of the ten (Leinwand, Becker, Eisenstat, Arbit, Green, and Shinkman) have some portion of their regular appearances archived, with dates that preclude them from being the one that Tom unseated. Furthermore, Lionel Goldbart has been mentioned as having lost his fifth game to Barbara Lowe, so he's out. That leaves Eric Schoeck, Guy Tonti, and the aforementioned Gary Palmer as the players Tom could have defeated.
Not Guy Tonti according to this post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=637&p=93862&hilit=guy+tonti#p93862
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Alex said in the video that Tom had beaten a 4x champ. Do we (I use that pronoun loosely) know who that was?
It was Eric Schoeck, per an article from this issue of the Santa Cruz Sentinel published between his tape dates and airdates. You need a subscription to view the full image but if you scroll down and click on where it says "Show Page 21 article text (OCR)" then you can read all of the text for free (though it is a bit of a jumbled mess). And yes, the article completely spoiled how many games and how much he won! :oops:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

cheezguyty wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:18 pm
Alex said in the video that Tom had beaten a 4x champ. Do we (I use that pronoun loosely) know who that was?
It was Eric Schoeck, per an article from this issue of the Santa Cruz Sentinel published between his tape dates and airdates. You need a subscription to view the full image but if you scroll down and click on where it says "Show Page 21 article text (OCR)" then you can read all of the text for free (though it is a bit of a jumbled mess). And yes, the article completely spoiled how many games and how much he won! :oops:
Thanks! I suppose it was easy with the knowledge of the dates and having it narrowed down to two people; I wish I'd thought of it.

Here's the article's text, sorted out (though some minor OCR errors remain)
Spoiler
" and the answer is: "A radio host by trade, he won $21,500 on 'Jeopardy' recently in Los Angeles." The question is: Who is Eric Schoeck? The Capitola resident last month parlayed his knowledge of obscure historical peoples, places and things into a four-game winning streak on the television game show. His four appearances taped over two days last month will be shown locally on Channel 46 (KMST) March 30, 31 and April 1, 2, and 3, according to Schoeck. He'll get his money a month after that. "The questions were hard," said Schoeck, who has a talk show every evening on radio station KMFO. "There's not a lot of luck involved with 'Jeopardy' questions. After four games, I was physically drained." "Jeopardy" players may appear on no more than five games. After that, they are allowed to come back at the end of the year for a "Jeopardy" sweepstakes game. Schoeck was stopped one game short of retirement. His winning streak ended when he incorrectly questioned the answer, "These two states were in the Confederacy, although their capitals were west of the Mississippi." "It was Texas and Arkansas," said Schoeck. "I had written Texas and Louisiana." Another question he missed involved the location of the radio station Clint Eastwood worked at in "Play Misty for Me." Schoeck answered Carmel; the show's writers said it was Monterey. "I still think I'm right," Schoeck mused. "I should have challenged them on that." Much of his experience is a blur: "I don't remember a lot of it, the intensity was so great." The NBC-TV game show, in which contestants are shown trivia answers and must come up with the questions, is broadcast on 160 stations nationwide. Schoeck trained for his stint by watching the show while standing up and pushing buttons on the remote control of his VCR. He decided to try out for the show last July, at the request of his mother, who said he'd be good at it. Of the SO people who audition, 10 were allowed to take the second part of the audition, a written quiz with questions much like those used on the show. Two are selected to appear on television. When he was called back to appear on the show, Schoeck stayed with a friend in a nearby city to save on hotel bills. Besides his cash winnings, Schoeck got a washer and dryer for coming in second place on his last show.
If he recalled the Clint Eastwood clue correctly, his response was right.

Edit: That article had March 30, 1986 as Eric's first airdate, but that was a Sunday. Friday, March 28 must have come first, with the other four games the following week, which jibes with his having taped on two days, mentioned earlier in the same sentence.
Last edited by seaborgium on Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Speaking quasi-officially:

This is a thread for keeping us updated on when games go into J! Archive (or to alert us to videos appearing on the Internet of games not currently in J! Archive.)

Please do not use this thread for other purposes.

(ETA Note: The above discussion is sufficiently on topic as it was regarding a game that did get posted. This is regarding off-topic information that was removed from the thread.)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This should not get any heat from any mods.

I added 4/7/86: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6427

That's the heavy lifting. I could use some help for the light lifting and Diana's last name.

https://youtu.be/Gjwa41T8Y9M?t=1861

Alex also says it at chat time and FJ! responses.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^Any reason for the dash after Diana's name, or just getting it ready for her full last name?
Last edited by Jeff-thecdboy on Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

"Moschini" is how I would spell the post-hyphen part of her last name.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:50 pm "Moschini" is how I would spell the post-hyphen part of her last name.
Okay, that's what I have in there now. Thanks.

Yes, Jeff, the hyphen was there until I got some input for the rest of the name.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 4/24/86: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6428

Season 2 still leads S10 & S11 for games archived.

Other interpretations of Janet's last name are welcome. The video can be found with a search of warren-janet-pam on the place that is not YT.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:42 am I added 4/24/86: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6428

Other interpretations of Janet's last name are welcome. The video can be found with a search of warren-janet-pam on the place that is not YT.
I also found 5/22/86 & 5/27/86
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:42 am I added 4/24/86: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6428

The latter half of Janet's last name is definitely McNeil (but still with plenty of possibilities with Mc, Mac, Neil, Neal, and Neill being plausible).

Edit: my first guess seems to be correct, as this page reports a Janet Manley in San Diego who also went by Janet McNeil; it also reports that she died December 1, 1998, aged 66.

Edit: 1998, not 1988
Last edited by seaborgium on Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:01 pm

The latter half of Janet's last name is definitely McNeil (but still with plenty of possibilities with Mc, Mac, Neil, Neal, and Neill being plausible).

Edit: my first guess seems to be correct, as this page reports a Janet Manley in San Diego who also went by Janet McNeil; it also reports that she died December 1, 1988, aged 66.
Thanks. I made the change and went with no hyphen. It may not be until next weekend, but I'll add the two Marvin games if no one else does earlier. Same place and same idea for the search with Marvin last since he's the champ. Greg-Jackie for one game and Paul-Kathleen for the other one.

Any help with the challenger information is always welcome. I have not checked on jobs/location to hear if they are easy to figure out or not.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:26 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:01 pm

Edit: my first guess seems to be correct, as this page reports a Janet Manley in San Diego who also went by Janet McNeil; it also reports that she died December 1, 1988, aged 66.
Thanks. I made the change and went with no hyphen. It may not be until next weekend, but I'll add the two Marvin games if no one else does earlier. Same place and same idea for the search with Marvin last since he's the champ. Greg-Jackie for one game and Paul-Kathleen for the other one.

Any help with the challenger information is always welcome. I have not checked on jobs/location to hear if they are easy to figure out or not.
Oh okay. Very nice to find more Season 2 games that are not archived.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:26 pm It may not be until next weekend, but I'll add the two Marvin games if no one else does earlier. Same place and same idea for the search with Marvin last since he's the champ. Greg-Jackie for one game and Paul-Kathleen for the other one.

I couldn't get them off of Johnny's intros, but Alex repeating names during the interviews was helpful. Greg Asbagh, Jackie Finn. I've found Greg on LinkedIn, which has him as a biochemistry student in the mid-'80s. I'll listen for Paul and Kathleen when I get to their episode.

Edit: for Paul and Kathleen, Alex was particularly helpful in mispronouncing both their last names on his first attempt in the interviews. For Paul he said something like Chuck Barris's last name, which Paul corrected to something rhyming with "caress," so I would spell his last name "Baress" (maybe double R, maybe single S, I can't immediately find him on the internet). For Kathleen his pronunciation sounded like "good-see," and she seemed to correct him to "gussy." In context with each other, the wrong and right pronunciations led me to believe there was an Italian double Z going on in her name, and I was able to find a Kathleen Guzzi with a Pittsburgh connection.

Another edit: I thought it was interesting that Alex told Marvin there had only been five 5xers so far that season; the following season's ToC had exactly five 5xers, but Gary Giardina's run would come at the very end of the season, so Alex's remark partially alluded to Barbara Lowe.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

jlgarfield wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:30 pm ^ Alex relinquished his Executive Producer role for season 4, handing off those duties to George Vosburgh, who would serve as EP until 1997.

Say, since Netflix has the S5 premiere, when will that be up?
Eventually.

"So, where you from then?"

"Oh, you know...Iowa."
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

And racing like CInderella to get this one done before my Netflix expires at midnight, we have the Season 5 premiere, September 5, 1988, Molly Herrington vs. Vernon Jones vs. Dave Prechtl

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6430

I thought we might have a theme board after the first 4 categories, but no, TRACK & FIELD doesn't start with "THE". Dave, however, starts with TRACK & FIELD and racks up 5 right in a row for the audience applause and $1500.

Do check out THE BIBLE for $200 (J!). Some cheeky clue writing from the folks who brought you "its poop was beaten gold".

The "Revelation" vs. "Revelations" question had not yet been settled by the start of season 5. Vernon sneaks an "s" past the judges, but not past his daddy I suspect.

Have we heard Trebek's Meryl Streep impression previously? THE MOVIES for $400 gave him the chance, and he took it.

COMMON BONDS for $400 (J!) is off-model. There's a definition, a clue, and an example. Fun fact about the run in the stocking though.

Dave mistakes Austrian for Australian at the top of WORLD CAPITALS in DJ! Then Canberra shows up further down the column. I wonder if they had to rewrite that clue. It's a pretty tough one, that appears only one other time in the Archive.
Canberra is located in the Australian Capital Territory completely surrounded by this state
Spoiler
What is New South Wales?
That went onto a flashcard.

The correct response for ARCHITECTURE for $400 (DJ!) would also be a correct response exactly 14 years later (Ask me how I know.):
1988: Floral name for the circular-shaped stained glass windows found in churches
2002: A large circular one made of stained glass sits above the west facade of Reims Cathedral (STARTS WITH "R" for $2000)
If I had won on the buzzer on that clue, I just might have played a solo Final Jeopardy. I just might have not beaten the single-day record also, so we'll let Mary Sue have her $2000. I'd tell you to check it out on YouTube, but Sony threw up a copyright strike on that segment of my episode, and only that segment. Ok.

The 1988 reference to Ross Perot in FAMOUS AMERICANS is not his earliest mention in the Archive! Doug Molitor recognized his name a year earlier in a MIDDLE NAMES category, as the country's (then) second-richest man. It feels like Doug's games come up a lot on my searches. I wonder why that is?

For clue of the game, how about FROM THE FRENCH for $1000, a word that shows up a number of times in the Archive.
From early French for "chain", it's a chic knot of hair worn at the nape of the neck
Spoiler
What is a chignon?
If you've got Netflix, this is a good one to watch. As for me, I've got to figure out which game is was that I started on last week, so I can get to it. There are more games outside of my current checklist tempting me to enter them. Good night all.