LL82: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:03 am I wonder what variations were accepted for 'cave.' My "study of caves" was accepted. The LL forum leads me to believe 'spelunking' was accepted. I think we found the clunker clue of the season.
Spelunking was not accepted.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

You can definitely tell who is either a) British, or b) watches British quiz shows. The "Carry On" films are perennial quiz fodder over there.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

econgator wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:25 am
Volante wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:03 am I wonder what variations were accepted for 'cave.' My "study of caves" was accepted. The LL forum leads me to believe 'spelunking' was accepted. I think we found the clunker clue of the season.
Spelunking was not accepted.
I switched from cave to spelunking because I like to lose matches
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

teapot37 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:36 am You can definitely tell who is either a) British, or b) watches British quiz shows. The "Carry On" films are perennial quiz fodder over there.
I knew it because of the British version of "Whose Line Is It Anyway?"
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

My "cave exploring" got a correct and three points.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Even as much as my film knowledge is lacking I couldn't believe that there was a film series with 31 entries that I almost certainly had never heard of. I tried to think of a book or book series that may have spawned a bunch of movies, like Goosebumps or The Babysitter's Club, but I had nothing. I had never heard of the Carry on films.

I nearly over thought the Finland question. First I thought that it may have been a country in the south Pacific or it had to be a British commonwealth country. After a few times reading the question it eventually clicked.

I got E Street Band on an educated guess. I didn't think that it was right, but if I had known that it was I would have given my opponent--who was weak in pop music--a 2 instead of a 3. Luckily I still would have lost either way.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

teapot37 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:36 am You can definitely tell who is either a) British, or b) watches British quiz shows. The "Carry On" films are perennial quiz fodder over there.
... or c) has actually seen a couple of the films over the years. It was hard not to notice eventually that there were many in this series, but 31? Wow!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

E Street Band should have been easy, but I got hung up on thinking of standalone bands as opposed to backing bands of a solo artist. And no matter how many times I racked my brains I couldn't think of a band with a street for a name. Not even Sawyer Brown.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Of the four other 9(6)s in my rundle, I had to face one of them... :roll:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I had two forfeit wins this past week -- very unusual for an A rundle.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

PSA since no one else has done it yet: this weekend is the Midseason Classic.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

How to overthink based on some half-assed superficial knowledge:

I thought of E Street Band immediately, but dismissed it based on being confident that their keyboardist's name was Danny Federici. Well, it was, but I didn't even take into account the possibility that they had two keyboardists.

So I devised a new rule for myself: If you have a good-but-not-ironclad reason to dismiss an answer, but you can't find with a comparably plausible alternative answer, dismiss your reason, not the answer!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

How could the Merrimack question have been the hardest? What did people answer for that, since Merrimack was already in the clue?
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I had by far my best showing on a Midseason Classic (I've done all 17 of them). My previous high was 8/12. I got 11, came in second in my league, and finished ahead of people like AP, VeredJ, RutterB... :shock:
Hoping for a third lap
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

alietr wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:19 pm How could the Merrimack question have been the hardest? What did people answer for that, since Merrimack was already in the clue?
I consider myself a Civil War buff and it still took me a while to remember the Merrimack was re-named the Virginia, and at that I was not sure enough about it to money it. I only remember seeing it referred to as the Monitor/Merrimack battle so people probably were just grasping at something. I've read a ton of CW books so I got it from somewhere....
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I knew to money Virginia as soon as I saw the clue. No one's taught the CSS name in class.

That said, surprised Night Watch and Marco Polo played so hard. Night Watch was even on J! last week, and Polo...WECIB?

Heinz was serendipity thanks to this article:
https://thetakeout.com/heinz-baked-bean ... 1837901752
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

alietr wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:19 pm How could the Merrimack question have been the hardest? What did people answer for that, since Merrimack was already in the clue?
I was pretty sure it was renamed after a Southern state, but I couldn't remember anything more specific than that.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:27 pm Heinz was serendipity thanks to this article:
https://thetakeout.com/heinz-baked-bean ... 1837901752
I got Heinz from:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I knew this one cold and moneyed it. Unfortunately I put down Alabama. Not sure why I was thinking of Alabama instead of Virginia, but I did.

"The Who Sell Out" was definitely my entry point to the Heinz Baked Beans question.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

What were the Heinz and Merrimack questions from? I don't remember playing those.