Monday, September 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: Monday, September 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 34,000
47 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Mont Blanc, "Black Dog"
Golf wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:00 pm While it's impossible to know if Laurel would have wagered differently on the last DD, one could argue that Jason cost himself the game by leaving that $1600 on the table on his DD.
I agree. I think there's a very strong chance Laurel goes McNitt on that last DD no matter what. Such a shame, too, given how strongly Jason played after his nightmare J! round.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:11 pm What kind of object would take regular trips to England and Finland? I have no idea what to even guess. What a garbage clue.
It's not the clue; it's your unwillingness to engage with it. You regularly complain of a lack of TOM, but as several folks who posted before you have pointed out, this clue was chock full of TOM.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:02 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:11 pm What kind of object would take regular trips to England and Finland? I have no idea what to even guess. What a garbage clue.
It's not the clue; it's your unwillingness to engage with it. You regularly complain of a lack of TOM, but as several folks who posted before you have pointed out, this clue was chock full of TOM.
My "engagement" consisted of staring blankly at it because I had literally no idea where to even begin. I could see that they were key words, but they were so utterly far apart in my mind that I couldn't even begin to make any semblance of a connection.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I am not proud to say that I came up with exactly nothing within the think music. I tried to focus on Finland and somehow thought of Nobel prizes. I realized I had the wrong country but by then, time was running out. Excellent clue, but it got the better of me.
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:11 pm
What kind of object would take regular trips to England and Finland? I have no idea what to even guess. What a garbage clue.
That's the riddle. I actually thought it was an excellent clue. Not every FJ can be like:

This capital of Mexico rhymes with "Texaco City."

Rather than throwing your hands in the air and deeming the clues impossible, why not go back and think through how you could have figured it out? Solving FJs is a skill that must be honed.
Last edited by mas3cf on Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Tremendous game. A shame that there could only be one winner.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:43 pm Never heard of the town but guessed Portugal. Would have stayed clam on the show
Actually, it's a region. The southernmost in Portugal.
morbeedo wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:08 pm What the Constitution Means to Me closed before I could get there
If she brings it back to NY, don't miss it. We saw it at the Kennedy Center and it was wonderful.
harrumph wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:56 am Tremendous game. A shame that there could only be one winner.
https://twitter.com/search?q=illucifer% ... ry&f=video
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:03 am Where I was wrong was playing the precall game as I took SYMBOLIC OBJECTS as something that could not be touched/held and thought perhaps, Iron Curtain.
Not that it's recommended to touch/hold the olympic flame...at least without neoprene gloves or something
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

goongas wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:00 am
Arguably only the True West clue required knowledge of the play. The "civics" document was a coin flip
I have noticed when they ask about current or recent Broadway, knowledge of the play or musical is rarely required, they try to get at it by another means, the movie it was based on, the actor from another work, etc. The writers know most of the country, including themselves, do not live in NYC and have the opportunity to see many shows. They don't seem to expect deep cuts. Classic shows they expect more, but not Shakespeare level deep knowledge.
Yes, True West is almost 40 years old, a lot of time to connect title with author...
I agree with alietr, Heidi Schreck's play was terrific...
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Presidential election years = Olympic years (Summer only more recently). That was my hook. I'm much better at the former than the latter. I wasn't sure exactly when, but I knew both Helsinki and London had hosted the Olympics in the general post-WW2 period. With that in mind, it was a very short trip to the correct answer. Not quite an instaget, but I still had time to contemplate that the regular trips were not to a destination, but on a regular schedule, bolstering my confidence in the answer.

Back on track for me after a tough week last week.
--Peter
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I thought that was a great FJ clue and I also completely blew it. So incredibly obvious in hindsight!
davey

Post by davey »

As I said above, I might have gotten this if I'd considered the 4-year interval...but I also think by the clue's language I was stuck looking for a response that was more...volitional? It took a boat?? It took a plane?? Do we generally say that cargo takes transportation??? ...If it was a bald eagle, maybe I could buy that it was a symbol that took a plane... Or Smokey the Bear...he'd have volition!...:roll:
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:19 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:02 am
My "engagement" consisted of staring blankly at it because I had literally no idea where to even begin. I could see that they were key words, but they were so utterly far apart in my mind that I couldn't even begin to make any semblance of a connection.
bigdaddymatt is right...full of TOMs....it is on you for not being able to come up with it...not a garbage clue by any means
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:55 am
What kind of object would take regular trips to England and Finland? I have no idea what to even guess. What a garbage clue.
That's the riddle. I actually thought it was an excellent clue. Not every FJ can be like:

Rather than throwing your hands in the air and deeming the clues impossible, why not go back and think through how you could have figured it out? Solving FJs is a skill that must be honed.
My thought process: 1948 + England = ???

1952 + Finland = ???

Something that would be transported to both places = ??? ???

Even if "Olympic torch" had come up, I would have instantly swatted it away. The torch doesn't go on boats or planes; it only goes on land. Don't be ridiculous.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:10 pm Even if "Olympic torch" had come up, I would have instantly swatted it away. The torch doesn't go on boats or planes; it only goes on land. Don't be ridiculous.
I'll be more ridiculous: It's been to SPACE! (the torch at least, not the flame)
https://www.nasa.gov/content/olympic-to ... n-history/
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:10 pm

1952 + Finland = ???

Even if "Olympic torch" had come up, I would have instantly swatted it away. The torch doesn't go on boats or planes; it only goes on land. Don't be ridiculous.
incorrect...it does travel by plane and boat at times
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Volante wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:39 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:10 pm Even if "Olympic torch" had come up, I would have instantly swatted it away. The torch doesn't go on boats or planes; it only goes on land. Don't be ridiculous.
I'll be more ridiculous: It's been to SPACE! (the torch at least, not the flame)
https://www.nasa.gov/content/olympic-to ... n-history/
The flame has even been sent by WonkaVision™.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:10 pm

1952 + Finland = ???

The writers fact check the bejeebus out of clues before putting them on national TV. If not for boats and planes, how does it get from Greece to places like, for example, Sydney, Australia?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Instaget fj. I used the skip button on my DVR to completely go through the think music.

I'm hoping Laurel has a long run.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Subsoil, Pacific Crest Trail, Mont Blanc, Grace Hopper, Black Dog, Portugal

Mont Blanc a stumper?!? :shock:
Douglas Squasoni
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Good thing for me I'm a huge fan of the Summer Olympics. If this had been about the Winter games, well, "stand and stare" comes to mind.

I very quickly pieced together England 1948 + "regular trip" (meaning the symbolic object moves around) + Finland 1952 leads nicely to London, then Helsinki.

I was halfway expecting Jason to set a new (and dubious) record for deepest-in-the-hole-of-all-time"). HELLUVA COMEBACK to not only be around for FJ but be in contention. Nicely done, and too bad it took him so long to find his mojo.

As for the champ, two $30K+ wins is an awfully nice way to start a run. Nicely done for her as well.

(not that the third contestant was chopped liver, either....)

Great game overall.