Tuesday, October 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, October 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MOUNTAIN RANGES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A chain of volcanoes is named for this mountain range where the continental USA’s deadliest eruption took place

Laurel Lathrop: 8600-8599=1
Abby Grubbs: 5000+5000=10000
Kevin Boettcher: 26000-3000=23000 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Cascades (Laurel – Olympian) (Kevin P Coastal Mtns.)

Daily Doubles
Kevin: 2800+2800
Kevin: 17200+3000
Kevin: 23400+1000

Coryats
Laurel: 8600
Abby: 5000
Kevin: 23400

Combined: 37,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Laurel: 3400
Abby: 1800
Kevin: 10000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Another Boettcher and another win. There must be some magic in that last name.

The Arthur C. Clarke Award - What is tennis? (Once again I'm glad I never have a drink near my computer)

On a 1950s TV show, Roy Rogers rode Trigger and this "Queen of the West" rode Buttermilk - Who is Annie Oakley? :lol:

There were a couple of more good howlers with President Trump's Secret Service name being "Slalom" off the ski hint and double misses for the movie director.

Kevin converted the three DDs and as he should he had a runaway.

The sole solve for the FJ! clue got Abby the $2000 for second while she trailed way too much to penalize Kevin for missing it.

The "continental" in the clue made sure I did not detour to HI or AK and that left me figuring the correct volcano event I am old enough to remember. From there it was either knowing the range or not. Fortunately I did and it's a name easy enough to recall since I see it when putting soap into the dishwasher.

Nice debut by Kevin although his opponents did plenty to help him with less-than-ideal clue selection of same category with a DD already played and upper box picking as well.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Yep, my train of thought got me as far as the right volcano, and then the conductor gave me the boot. Now I'll spend a few moments trying to avoid the mental pictures of a)Clarke playing tennis and b)the skeleton of Oakley riding a horse.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Got the FJ on the strength of two pieces of guesswork: (1) what volcano could they be talking about, and (2) name a mountain range in that part of the country. I was about 80-90% sure for each half of it, which was good enough for me.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:42 pm Got the FJ on the strength of two pieces of guesswork: (1) what volcano could they be talking about, and (2) name a mountain range in that part of the country. I was about 80-90% sure for each half of it, which was good enough for me.
Same here. Almost said Sierra Nevada, but fortunately re-thought.

Idle thought: A "skiing-related" Secret Service nickname for Trump? All I could come up with was "downhill," which I knew was wrong and prudently kept to myself, but at least gave me a chuckle.

LT: equinox, John Ford, Dale Evans. The last two of those made me realize those are great clues for contestants "of a certain age." And how sad that they would both be TSs.

Aaaaannnnnndddddd...another contestant I praised for looking strong through two wins, and who I figured would run off a few more, um, does not. Laurel, so sad to see you go. We hardly knew ye.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

John Boy wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:06 pm
mas3cf wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:42 pm Got the FJ on the strength of two pieces of guesswork: (1) what volcano could they be talking about, and (2) name a mountain range in that part of the country. I was about 80-90% sure for each half of it, which was good enough for me.
Same here. Almost said Sierra Nevada, but fortunately re-thought.

Idle thought: A "skiing-related" Secret Service nickname for Trump? All I could come up with was "downhill," which I knew was wrong and prudently kept to myself, but at least gave me a chuckle.

LT: equinox, John Ford, Dale Evans. The last two of those made me realize those are great clues for contestants "of a certain age." And how sad that they would both be TSs.

Aaaaannnnnndddddd...another contestant I praised for looking strong through two wins, and who I figured would run off a few more, um, does not. Laurel, so sad to see you go. We hardly knew ye.
Kevin looked on point on the buzzer. Not hard to imagine him going on a pretty decent run of his own.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

Dale Evans came up waaaay back in the final of the American West ML. I missed it then. I missed it now. Working really hard to commit it to memory for the inevitable next time.

FJ was “Is St. Helen’s in the Cascades? I guess I don’t have anything else.”
davey

Post by davey »

Curious how the judges would rule on calling the Mark Twain Prize one for comedy rather than humor. I know few would describe Twain as a comedian, but I note the prize has never been given to anyone like Garrison Keillor or Dave Barry...Or is the name of the prize all that matters?
Geography being not my favorite category, I was a little surprised that I could name the range Mt. St. Helens is in, but happy to take it...
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Well, having half the knowledge for a FJ! clue just isn't enough. My precall list was fairly predictable and bland: Alps, Pyranees, Sierra Nevada, Andes, Himalayas, Appalachian. I don't know how I remember seeing news stories of Mt. St. Helens - I was three at the time of the eruption - but I do vaguely recall seeing it on the small, B&W television in our kitchen. Maybe I'm remembering news stories form the first anniversary?

I know that California has tons of wildfires recently, but I've never heard of a death toll from a volcano in my adult life. I figured it had to be fairly modern - say, past 1800 - since there aren't any active volcanoes in the Eastern half of the United States. With record-keeping being a key part of the question, I was fairly sure of the date range.

Geography being my largest Achilles heel, I'd never associated "Cascades" with Mt. St. Helens. I knew all my precalls were, at the very least, in the wrong state, if not the wrong country, so I just stuck with Mt. St. Helens and hoped the range was named for the mountain. Nope. At least I was in the right territory: Mt. St. Helens is the only volcano in the continental US that has caused any (direct) casualties, according to Wikipedia.

Ironic that I once got completely tongue-tied in Spanish class because I literally couldn't think of the names of any mountains. It was just a simple "Como se llaman algunas montanas?" question, and it wasn't that I couldn't understand the question...it was that I literally couldn't come up with any other mountains.

I've never read Moby Dick, so Ishmael and Ahab being two different people was something I learned. At least I plowed through and swept the ind-icc-ted and hodgepodge categories. Should have swept the secret service category, but the Trump question went the wrong direction (I would have answered "Trump" for "mogul" in a heartbeat, but vice versa was harder), and I wasn't confident enough about the Cheney answer despite having seen the movie.

Oh, and a new clip to add for Alex's "genre" pronunciation in the Secret Service category!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:30 am Another Boettcher and another win. There must be some magic in that last name.

The Arthur C. Clarke Award - What is tennis? (Once again I'm glad I never have a drink near my computer)

On a 1950s TV show, Roy Rogers rode Trigger and this "Queen of the West" rode Buttermilk - Who is Annie Oakley? :lol:

There were a couple of more good howlers with President Trump's Secret Service name being "Slalom" off the ski hint and double misses for the movie director.

Kevin converted the three DDs and as he should he had a runaway.

The sole solve for the FJ! clue got Abby the $2000 for second while she trailed way too much to penalize Kevin for missing it.

The "continental" in the clue made sure I did not detour to HI or AK and that left me figuring the correct volcano event I am old enough to remember. From there it was either knowing the range or not. Fortunately I did and it's a name easy enough to recall since I see it when putting soap into the dishwasher.

Nice debut by Kevin although his opponents did plenty to help him with less-than-ideal clue selection of same category with a DD already played and upper box picking as well.

never heard of it...seemed pretty difficult for a top box, when they had the clio awards at the bottom of that category and it is better known
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

funny stuff...i precalled mogul for the code name category, it was there and went triple stumper...weird
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Hodgepodge.

Had no clue on the top two Clues Across America but got the next three. Can't say I've heard of Boston cream pie.

Precalled Clio in Awards.

I, too, was stumped on "equinox".

Strangely, $2,000 was my only get in Narrators. No idea how I blanked on Ishmael.

All but "Carpenter bee" in Insects.

USA's deadliest eruption -> Mt. St. Helens, but I didn't know that it was in a range. Can't say that "Cascades" rings any bells for me.

Lach Trash: Dale Evans, spiracles
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

My two weeks of singleton FJ gets is ended with a 2-get streak for this week!

I only got hung up wondering if they truly meant "deadly" in terms of human casualties, and not ecosystem or environmental damage which would be of prehistoric nature. I think that Yellowstone contains a supervolcano (system?) that will wipe out a lot of life in a large radius whenever it blows, but it might be another couple hundred thousand years. So, stick with Mt. St. Helens, and fortunately I didn't even consider that "Olympic" is a cromulent answer.

Don't. Guess. At. $2000 clues. They rarely have enought TOM to get you there so CLAM's the word unless you have certainty that the thing you know is the correct thing.

I thought Laurel had a close call yesterday, and once she went with the wrong ratite, (emu, over ostrich), she seemed to lose her mojo.

ETA - FINALLY, we get a Pole Vault clue, and Kevin doesn't even say "pole vault". :roll:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I got this FJ, but I have to say I thought about it for the whole 30 seconds wondering if I was wrong. I've never thought of the volcanoes being somehow separate from the Cascade Range. Wikipedia agrees with the distinction, though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascade_Volcanoes

The Olympic Mountains are not volcanic, by the way.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 39,200
47 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Dale Evans, bounce, John Ford

STOP PICKING CLUES ACROSS AMERICA! It just kills your ability to clear the board. (Then again, maybe it was better to miss out on a couple of $200 clues rather than have a shortened DJ! round.)

Interesting that there was a correct response of thorax in a round where there was already an "Ends in 'X'" category. Speaking of which, the fact that I couldn't pull gravlax tells me it's been too long since I've been to IKEA.
davey wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:27 pm Curious how the judges would rule on calling the Mark Twain Prize one for comedy rather than humor. I know few would describe Twain as a comedian, but I note the prize has never been given to anyone like Garrison Keillor or Dave Barry...Or is the name of the prize all that matters?
I imagine "comedy" would be accepted. The clue wasn't so tightly pinned as to exclude it.
Sprinkles are for winners.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Kevin has a bit of a Brad Rutter look to him.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:05 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:30 am The Arthur C. Clarke Award - What is tennis? (Once again I'm glad I never have a drink near my computer)

never heard of it...seemed pretty difficult for a top box, when they had the clio awards at the bottom of that category and it is better known
You don't have to have heard of the Arthur C. Clarke Award to get that; just know he wrote 2001: A Space Odyssey and put two and two together.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

John Boy wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:06 pm Aaaaannnnnndddddd...another contestant I praised for looking strong through two wins, and who I figured would run off a few more, um, does not. Laurel, so sad to see you go. We hardly knew ye.
Nor did she really try to. Down many thousand and she goes to the top of several categories. Geez.