The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I made it two episodes.
The 1967 finale of “The Fugitive” drew in 78 million viewers, surpassing the 73 million who tuned into this show Sunday, February 9, 1964
I tried precall after precall after precall. This left me with a miles-long list of options, and no matter how many times I reread the clue, I wasn't able to cross anything off. I was just instantly overwhelmed because a lot of important TV events happened in the 1960s, and nothing was giving me any pointers whatsoever.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:41 pm I made it two episodes.
The 1967 finale of “The Fugitive” drew in 78 million viewers, surpassing the 73 million who tuned into this show Sunday, February 9, 1964
I tried precall after precall after precall. This left me with a miles-long list of options, and no matter how many times I reread the clue, I wasn't able to cross anything off. I was just instantly overwhelmed because a lot of important TV events happened in the 1960s, and nothing was giving me any pointers whatsoever.
Most television viewing records are held by special events, such as

--the much-anticipated finale of a tv show like the Fugitive, MASH, Cheers, Seinfeld, etc.

--the Super Bowl, which wasn't around yet in 1964, though you may not have known that.

--something like the Olympics, as the Nancy vs Tonya figure skating in 1994 drew some phenomenal ratings, although that is a massive outlier from any other Olympics due to the unique circumstances.

February 9 would be a plausible date for either a Super Bowl, which was not around in 1964, or the Winter Olympics, which was, but the question does say show so I would not go down the sports path.

Which leaves shows, it would be logical to try to think of a much beloved show that ended in 1964 and could have had a big finale. I Love Lucy was 1957, not the worst guess but a bit off. Gilligan's Island ended in 1967, would be logical to think lots of people tuned in to see if they get off the island so wouldn't be a bad guess, just a few years off. Leave it to Beaver was 1963, would be a perfectly cromulent answer if you don't think of the correct one.

As for the correct one, you just have to think of it. What was a huge one-of-a-kind TV event in the 1960s? Coverage of the JFK assassination? Just a few months off. The Moon landing, way too early, and again neither of these would be a "show". So we need a special occurence that took place on some episode of a particular show: Ladies and gentleman, the Beatles.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Rule of thumb: FJ is not going to be about something obscure. So for instance, if the category is "British Prime Ministers" your precall list should be limited to maybe Boris Johnson, Theresa May, Tony Blair, Margaret Thatcher, Churchill, Chamberlain, Disraeli, Gladstone, Pitt, and Walpole. The correct response isn't going to be "Who is Charles Watson-Wentworth,
2nd Marquess of Rockingham." Think about what a good chunk of the viewing audience will have heard of. Sometimes too much knowledge can be a bad thing.
davey

Post by davey »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:47 am
Most television viewing records are held by special events, such as

--the much-anticipated finale of a tv show like the Fugitive, MASH, Cheers, Seinfeld, etc.

--the Super Bowl, which wasn't around yet in 1964, though you may not have known that.

--something like the Olympics, as the Nancy vs Tonya figure skating in 1994 drew some phenomenal ratings, although that is a massive outlier from any other Olympics due to the unique circumstances.

February 9 would be a plausible date for either a Super Bowl, which was not around in 1964, or the Winter Olympics, which was, but the question does say show so I would not go down the sports path.

Which leaves shows, it would be logical to try to think of a much beloved show that ended in 1964 and could have had a big finale. I Love Lucy was 1957, not the worst guess but a bit off. Gilligan's Island ended in 1967, would be logical to think lots of people tuned in to see if they get off the island so wouldn't be a bad guess, just a few years off. Leave it to Beaver was 1963, would be a perfectly cromulent answer if you don't think of the correct one.

As for the correct one, you just have to think of it. What was a huge one-of-a-kind TV event in the 1960s? Coverage of the JFK assassination? Just a few months off. The Moon landing, way too early, and again neither of these would be a "show". So we need a special occurence that took place on some episode of a particular show: Ladies and gentleman, the Beatles.
I've never paid attention to the date of the Beatles show. But i remember hearing a discussion of it that said the country was still in mourning after JFK's death. So that helped.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:23 am Rule of thumb: FJ is not going to be about something obscure.
So I take it you didn't watch Monday's episode...
jeff6286 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:47 am Which leaves shows, it would be logical to try to think of a much beloved show that ended in 1964 and could have had a big finale. I Love Lucy was 1957, not the worst guess but a bit off. Gilligan's Island ended in 1967, would be logical to think lots of people tuned in to see if they get off the island so wouldn't be a bad guess, just a few years off. Leave it to Beaver was 1963, would be a perfectly cromulent answer if you don't think of the correct one.
The problem is that all of those, along with Gunsmoke, Beverly Hillbillies, Bonanza, Andy Griffith, Laugh-In, and all the other popular shows of the day, were so thoroughly clouding my thought process that "Beatles on Ed Sullivan" never surfaced. And I saw nothing to help me start crossing names off the list, so I just threw up my hands. Without another hint or ten, it might as well be The Liederkranz Show.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:59 pm
The problem is that all of those, along with Gunsmoke, Beverly Hillbillies, Bonanza, Andy Griffith, Laugh-In, and all the other popular shows of the day, were so thoroughly clouding my thought process that "Beatles on Ed Sullivan" never surfaced. And I saw nothing to help me start crossing names off the list, so I just threw up my hands. Without another hint or ten, it might as well be The Liederkranz Show.
"1964 episode" was all it took for me. If that didn't do it for you, you have 30 seconds to think. 73 million viewers! That is about 1/3 of the US population at the time. I can assure you that no episode of Bonanza or the Beverly Hillbillies drew 1/3 of all Americans to their TV sets. It had to be something BIG. What was big in the 60s? The Beatles!
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:47 am
Just for the record (not the first time a TPH thread has taken a digressive turn), the series finale as we know it was not really a thing in the 1960s. In fact, it was basically invented by The Fugitive. Gilligan could never have gotten off the island because it was considered bad for syndication if the central situation was resolved. If I recall correctly, that the was original plan for The Fugitive as well, but the showrunners instead decided, "No, it would be ridiculous not to resolve the situation." But it still took a while for the finale concept to catch on. There were a few such as Mary Tyler Moore, but really it was the enormous ratings for the M*A*S*H finale that made it a thing all even moderately successful series felt obliged to do.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:59 pm
mas3cf wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:23 am Rule of thumb: FJ is not going to be about something obscure.
So I take it you didn't watch Monday's episode...

"Rule of thumb" does not mean always, just a best guess if nothing's obvious.
OCSam
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ask me any other time of the year what FIddler on the Roof is, and I'd say it has something to do with Russia.

Ask me any other time of the year who Chagall was, and I would say he was a Russian painter.

Ask me for a musical inspired by a Chagall painting, and I spend the entire 30 seconds in stony silence, unable to even muster even so much as a WAG.

WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN?!?!?!?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:33 pm Ask me any other time of the year what FIddler on the Roof is, and I'd say it has something to do with Russia.

Ask me any other time of the year who Chagall was, and I would say he was a Russian painter.

Ask me for a musical inspired by a Chagall painting, and I spend the entire 30 seconds in stony silence, unable to even muster even so much as a WAG.

WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN?!?!?!?
i have no knowledge of what fiddler on the roof is about, but i got it right because i knew it was from that time period and guessed correctly
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

WHY

CAN'T

I

GET

THE

EASIEST

GODDAMN

CLUES

RIGHT?!?!?!?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

What name in a cappella?

https://youtu.be/XcKaTTFRDT4?t=84

You did czar fish to Russia for the step one good start.. It was the next part where you ran into trouble.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:38 pm What name in a cappella?

You did czar fish to Russia for the step one good start.. It was the next part where you ran into trouble.
Derp. I was somehow failing to process "Ella" as a name.

I still don't see what sturgeon have to do with Russia.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:42 pm

Derp. I was somehow failing to process "Ella" as a name.

i, too, didn't come up with ella within that word...why would anyone want to have the name of a spanish pronoun?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:54 pm
i...why would anyone want to have the name of a spanish pronoun?
Yo-Yo Ma might have something to say about that.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

Caviar comes from sturgeon. Traditionally caviar is only supposed to refer to roe from sturgeon in the Caspian Sea. The Caspian Sea borders Russia extensively. Rich people like caviar. Naming something for the czar implies it’s connected with rich Russian people. I have never heard the sturgeon referred to as a czar fish, but I pieced it together.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:07 pm

Caviar comes from sturgeon. Traditionally caviar is only supposed to refer to roe from sturgeon in the Caspian Sea. The Caspian Sea borders Russia extensively. Rich people like caviar. Naming something for the czar implies it’s connected with rich Russian people. I have never heard the sturgeon referred to as a czar fish, but I pieced it together.
I thought caviar were just the eggs of any ol' fish, didn't know that they came from a hyper-specific fish, have no idea where the Caspian sea is, and just plain did not know a single link in the miles-long chain of thought you just posted. That seems like an utterly insane number of hoops to jump through for one answer.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:02 pm
good one
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:02 pm
So would El DeBarge.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »