Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ANIMAL AKAs

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It’s also called the czar fish

Kevin Boettcher: 15200+11201=26401 (2x = $49,401)
Julie Triba: 10800-6000=4800
Bill Sikov: 13200+8410=21610

Correct response:
Spoiler
sturgeon (Julie – What is a)

Daily Doubles
Bill: 4800+2400
Julie: 1800+1800
Kevin: 4000+4000

Coryats
Kevin: 12400
Julie: 10200
Bill: 11600

Combined: 34,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Kevin: 3600
Julie: 1800
Bill: 5600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A couple of clues were a day late after the College Online Test with the Get Out and Bradley Cooper material being very familiar.

How did I lose thee game? Let me count the ways. Bill has choices.

DD1: 4800+2400 (He could have used the 2400 left on the table.)

Ouch, on Julie saying an incorrect response without ringing in and then Bill ringing in to copy it only to correct himself a hair too late after Alex had already ruled against him.

6400 in material left unplayed in the DJ! round.

Not as costly was not naming the man for the blue jeans and only naming the slangy name for the company.

It all added up to spots for Bill to revisit the game in his nightmares.

Kevin trailed at DD3, bet the farm, and it was enough to get him going on his way to the necessary lead for the FJ! round.

The FJ! clue had me close to missing as I was close to throwing in the towel after not knowing what to do. I took "czar" to "tsar" in thinking crosswordese and hoping for some fish to jump out at me. Nope. From there it was another crossword path of the gar. Wanting to have something I started writing, "swordfis" and just before I finished I took another stab at thinking about any fish associated with Russia.

Aha! It was a nice moment to do a cross-out switch to the correct response to join the gentlemen.

After two games with Kevin it's like To Tell the Truth, "Will the real Kevin Boettcher, please stand up?" Is he a 23400 Coryat kind of guy who could finish the week? Or was his 12400 Coryat today more in his range and the clock is ticking with the carousel getting warmed up?

Either way it's two wins for what really matters.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

For FJ, I said:
Spoiler
What is beluga?
Judges?
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

I'd say yes. Beluga is another term for the European sturgeon.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Had a rough go of it in J! round. Clammed/blanked on $400-$800 in Untrue Detective, got only Colgate by the break.

Ended up 0/5 in TV or Not TV, Untrue Detective, and Not-So-Good Doctor.

For some reason, I kept blanking. Nancy Drew, Levi Strauss, suave, and Jim Beam were all right on the tip of my tongue but I just couldn't pull them out.

Hercule Poirot seemed obscure for the top box, especially relative to Sherlock Holmes at $400.

Can't say I recognize James I.

What name is in "a cappella"? I got all but "stevedore" in that category.

"Czar fish" had me spinning my wheels for five minutes trying to come up with any Russian sounding name. Nicholas? St. Petersburg? Siberia? Alexander the Great? Vodka? Babushka? None of those are pulling me anywhere closer to the name of a fish. Not even the "egg" hint led me anywhere.

This was a terrible clue. Exactly how the hell is "czar" supposed to lead you to sturgeon?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I said "Russian carp", which turns out, does not exist. My cold FJ streak (notwithstanding my get yesterday) continues :lol:

I loved the "nearest other world capital" category even though I did poorly in it (like going with Barcelona over Lisbon). I'm sure there's a related Sporcle quiz I could have lots of fun with.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

That's the kind of game I love to see: three evenly matched, good quality players, all with a realistic chance going into the final. The kind of game I hate to see anyone lose. And capped off by three absolutely spot-on correct FJ wagers. Well done, all.

I ran the "SU" category (which tickled me because my undergraduate U. was always called "S.U."), went 3-for-3 in DDs, had an instaget FJ that I never heard of before but sussed out immediately, and from some deep, almost inaccessible corner or the brain pan I actually came up with "mugwump." Jeesh. And I can't remember where I put my car keys.''
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bill was a year ahead of me in college. I was rooting for him, though I don't remember him.

Sturgeon for the easy get.
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:30 pm I loved the "nearest other world capital" category even though I did poorly in it (like going with Barcelona over Lisbon).
Well, that plus Barcelona is not a world capital ...
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:28 pm Had a rough go of it in J! round. Clammed/blanked on $400-$800 in Untrue Detective, got only Colgate by the break.

For some reason, I kept blanking. Nancy Drew, Levi Strauss, suave, and Jim Beam were all right on the tip of my tongue but I just couldn't pull them out.

Hercule Poirot seemed obscure for the top box, especially relative to Sherlock Holmes at $400.

"Czar fish" had me spinning my wheels for five minutes trying to come up with any Russian sounding name. Nicholas? St. Petersburg? Siberia? Alexander the Great? Vodka? Babushka? None of those are pulling me anywhere closer to the name of a fish. Not even the "egg" hint led me anywhere.

This was a terrible clue. Exactly how the hell is "czar" supposed to lead you to sturgeon?
uh, czar = Russia. why would any fish be associated with Russia? Because of caviar, much of it from the beluga sturgeon of the Caspian Sea. And as AT said, the czars (and other wealthy folk) have always used caviar as their status food (I can afford it and you, you peasant cannot...BAH!)

This takes a couple of steps but is not nearly as impossible as you make it out.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

alietr wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:22 pm
Well, that plus Barcelona is not a world capital ...
That is also an issue, yes... :lol:
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Having to know which of three "Friends" was in "Bruce Almighty"? Wow. I saw it, and barely remember the movie. I mean, given DD time, I would have guessed Aniston, since Cox is "Scream" and Kudrow didn't do much in the movies in the Friends era.

Does Alex ever BMS on first names? Admittedly, "Levi" can be a first name or last name. I said Levi out loud, but would have said Strauss if prompted. (Note to self: Before and After clue warning! Shazam + jeans.)

For some reason, the J! folks seem to love aircraft carriers and that Sue Grafton M-is-For-Murder series. In the database, 80 clues for aircraft carriers. And 60 clues for Sue. The only reason I know anything about the books is repeated J! pounding.

The World Capitals category makes me want to scrap my project for improving my geography and toss the atlas out the window. Yes, Canada/US was easy. But even if you know that Paris is too far north (and Madrid too far south) for Madrid to be the answer...knowing that Paris is closer to Brussels than to Luxembourg City? According to Google Maps, that's 310 vs 380 km. Granted, that's not as the crow flies, but still...even if I had a map in front of me, it's a bit of a coinflip.

Tantalizingly close on FJ. Wrote down "What is a kingfish?", thanks to my high school English teacher who forced us to read All the Kings Men (Robert Penn Warren, about Huey Long, "the Kingfish") twice. Okay, not twice - it was senior year, and he probably knew the class wasn't reading. I wrote underneath it "What is roe?", knowing that roe is just fish eggs (aka caviar - fancy enough for a czar!), and blanking on the fish that produce caviar. There's a decent chance that if I had been smart enough to write "beluga", I might have put "caviar" after it. Not sure if that would have been invalidated or not.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:06 am A couple of clues were a day late after the College Online Test with the Get Out and Bradley Cooper material being very familiar.

How did I lose thee game? Let me count the ways. Bill has choices.

Ouch, on Julie saying an incorrect response without ringing in and then Bill ringing in to copy it only to correct himself a hair too late after Alex had already ruled against him.

Not as costly was not naming the man for the blue jeans and only naming the slangy name for the company.

Kevin trailed at DD3, bet the farm, and it was enough to get him going on his way to the necessary lead for the FJ! round.

The FJ! clue had me close to missing as I was close to throwing in the towel after not knowing what to do. I took "czar" to "tsar" in thinking crosswordese and hoping for some fish to jump out at me. Nope. From there it was another crossword path of the gar. Wanting to have something I started writing, "swordfis" and just before I finished I took another stab at thinking about any fish associated with Russia.

Aha! It was a nice moment to do a cross-out switch to the correct response to join the gentlemen.

After two games with Kevin it's like To Tell the Truth, "Will the real Kevin Boettcher, please stand up?" Is he a 23400 Coryat kind of guy who could finish the week? Or was his 12400 Coryat today more in his range and the clock is ticking with the carousel getting warmed up?

Either way it's two wins for what really matters.
i got bradley cooper because of the uni online test...got the rocket raccoon right on that test, but would never have been able to tell you who played that character...that online test pretty much was the reason for getting it right in today's game
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:28 pm Had a rough go of it in J! round. Clammed/blanked on $400-$800 in Untrue Detective, got only Colgate by the break.

russian?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:30 pm I said "Russian carp", which turns out, does not exist. My cold FJ streak (notwithstanding my get yesterday) continues :lol:

I loved the "nearest other world capital" category even though I did poorly in it (like going with Barcelona over Lisbon). I'm sure there's a related Sporcle quiz I could have lots of fun with.
i liked it as well...when i saw it i was like hells yeah even though i know i suck at it...i have taken a lot of those types of quizzes on jetpunk, but still suck at it...though i enjoy them a lot
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

John Boy wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:25 pm

uh, czar = Russia. why would any fish be associated with Russia? Because of caviar, much of it from the beluga sturgeon of the Caspian Sea. And as AT said, the czars (and other wealthy folk) have always used caviar as their status food (I can afford it and you, you peasant cannot...BAH!)

This takes a couple of steps but is not nearly as impossible as you make it out.
totally agree...as soon as i saw czar i said sturgeon
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:28 pm What name is in "a cappella"?
Ella. I actually had to run it back and think about it for a few seconds before it came to me.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:How did I lose thee game? Let me count the ways. Bill has choices.

He also narrowly missed being negged for improper phrasing on Washinton D.C.
And did he not guess "Johnny Walker on that bourbon clue? Johnny Walker is Scotch.

I didn't fall for the curveball and got Jim Beam before the two wrong guesses.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:10 pm And did he not guess "Johnny Walker on that bourbon clue? Johnny Walker is Scotch.
Not that Jack Daniels is much better of a guess; it's famously made in Tennessee and is not referred to as bourbon. (They could call it bourbon - it uses a correct recipe - but choose not to.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.