LL82: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by Johnblue »

Trade winds popped on J! last night but I’d already submitted my answers. I went 6 for 6 on what was the easiest board for me this season. Slim Whitman ads were ubiquitous in the 70’s/80’s. I’m in the A Rundle but I think I finished at 21 or so.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:29 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:13 pm On the slim one, was anyone actually familiar with any names besides Slim Whitman?
In my head, I convinced myself I’d heard of Guitar Slim, but I can’t name anything about him, like when he lived. Or what he looked like. Or any of his songs. The only reason I even have some knowledge of Slim Whitman is from Mars Attacks.
I was confident in "Slim" from Guitar and Memphis. When I saw Whitman in the next sentence it sealed the deal.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:13 pm
classicroadster wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:10 pm On the slim one, was anyone actually familiar with any names besides Slim Whitman?
Not a one.
I wasn’t, but the name seemed to fit for a blues singer.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I actually heard a Slim Whitman song on Prime Country the other day.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Johnblue wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:48 pm Slim Whitman ads were ubiquitous in the 70’s/80’s.
Album $7.98
8 Track or Cassette $9.98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2D9QwHzLpk
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:10 pm On the slim one, was anyone actually familiar with any names besides Slim Whitman? That, and maybe Guitar Slim, was the only one that meant anything to me.
Memphis Slim was a name that I knew. Once I'd dismissed Memphis Minnie from my thought processes, Memphis + Whitman got me to slim.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:29 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:22 pm
classicroadster wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:10 pm
What other 1800s poetry collection could it be besides Leaves of Grass? I did have to read the question a couple times to get the hint.
Wow. I totally didn't catch that the newer reference was potentially in English. I assumed they were both Japanese works. Nice get.

And yeah, Whitman was what clued me in for Slim.
Now I want to read Slim Whitman's "Leaves of Grass".
I yodel the body electric...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

RandyG wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:58 pm
Johnblue wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:48 pm Slim Whitman ads were ubiquitous in the 70’s/80’s.
Album $7.98
8 Track or Cassette $9.98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2D9QwHzLpk
I feel like I saw those Slim Whitman commercials a lot during "Tic-Tac-Dough," but it might just be that Slim Whitman and Wink Martindale both had funny names and that's why they're connected in my mind.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Pretty sure I'd not have got "slim" without Whitman and even with it, i was rather impressed with myself.

I also probably would not have got Chicago without "fire". I mean, I'm sure it was meant to be helpful but otherwise with "Chicago Hope" already out there I wouldn't have guessed there'd be another Chicago medical show already.

I thought of Leaves of Grass, but answered "ballads" after "Lyrical Ballads". I guess I wasn't thinking very poetically. Didn't look at the Japanese characters closely but then I'm shy that way. My very first thought was "nights" which is (arguably) more poetic than "ballads", but the Arabian tales weren't poetry, and it was only a 19th century translation.

Lost my match narrowly but had clinched non-relegation from B already. Funny how it's easier to stay in A than to get back in.
I'm smart and I want respect.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Wow, I'm just now making the connection that the 19th century poetry collection was "Leaves of Grass." It didn't even cross my mind that it was something that wasn't originally published in Japanese. Shoulda reread the question!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:10 pm On the slim one, was anyone actually familiar with any names besides Slim Whitman?
I knew of Slim Dusty, an Australian country singer.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:10 pm Wow, I'm just now making the connection that the 19th century poetry collection was "Leaves of Grass." It didn't even cross my mind that it was something that wasn't originally published in Japanese. Shoulda reread the question!
Same here.

I managed to finish second in A Taiga. Championship, here we come...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Fun fact: Josh Hill was my sponsor. We have a couple of non-J! interests in common.

I did a billion times worse than I thought I would, but maybe my J! karma will translate better into me getting the call and being an unlikely success onstage...
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Congrats to BigDaddyMatty on winning our rundle. I knew when I saw yesterday's questions that I'd be taking the L.
I managed a winning record for the first time in A, tied a personal high in correct answers, and set a new personal high in ties. Over 4+ years, I've had three straight seasons with 78, two with 82, two with 88, and now two with 94 correct answers. I don't see how people's TCA totals can vary so much from one season to the next.
Hoping for a third lap
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

I sat out 82 because I thought I'd be on a long cruise for half of it and didn't want to risk forfeits (it got rescheduled for next May but that's another story), But just for fun I played along. I was kind of surprised the questions weren't mostly in my wheelhouse because that's the way things work, right? Au contraire, I found it most difficult. My TCA was 65, after 13 seasons of 73-92 TCA. But, while in all previous seasons I tended to agonize over the damn questions, knowing that I knew (some of) them and I could dredge them up or figure them out if I squandered enough brain cells on them, this time I spent no more than five minutes a day (either knew it/got it right away). So, I'm thinking I probably would have done pretty well if I'd played for real. Looking forward to 83, see you there!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I stayed in A. Literally could not have hoped for a better outcome :lol: (I am so not champion material...if I can just get slotted 7th in the batting order every game, booyah.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:40 pm Fun fact: Josh Hill was my sponsor. We have a couple of non-J! interests in common.

I did a billion times worse than I thought I would, but maybe my J! karma will translate better into me getting the call and being an unlikely success onstage...
Are you going to continue with it, or bow out?
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

Between the branch splitting and an A Rundler who somehow was not demoted but forfeited five times, maybe I will be promoted to A despite being on the outside looking in now. Then again, no idea why I want to be sent through the A Rundle woodchipper
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:06 am I managed to scrape by with 23rd place out of 26th in my rundle. I lost the final day, but the person just below me did too. I lost 6(5)-8(5) with my opponent getting Leaves (3 points), but missing Slim (1 point). He didn't have a great pop music score, but I figured at least a couple of the people mentioned in the clue would have been familiar. Pretty surprised only 41% got that one. I finished with 127 CAA. Can anyone top that?
edit: I just looked at the csv file that has stats for the entire league and I led the league in both CAA and TPA!
According to this post https://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11098 you were the 11th least lucky llama in this past season.

I can't beat it, but I can sympathize- I was the 82nd least lucky.

Better luck next season!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

boson wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:36 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:06 am I managed to scrape by with 23rd place out of 26th in my rundle. I lost the final day, but the person just below me did too. I lost 6(5)-8(5) with my opponent getting Leaves (3 points), but missing Slim (1 point). He didn't have a great pop music score, but I figured at least a couple of the people mentioned in the clue would have been familiar. Pretty surprised only 41% got that one. I finished with 127 CAA. Can anyone top that?
edit: I just looked at the csv file that has stats for the entire league and I led the league in both CAA and TPA!
According to this post https://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11098 you were the 11th least lucky llama in this past season.

I can't beat it, but I can sympathize- I was the 82nd least lucky.

Better luck next season!
I wasn't that bad, but I did make top 5% of unluckiest. One of my better TCA seasons and DE, yet still almost got relegated.