Pavlov revival

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Pavlov revival

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:25 pm Was it necessary to quote that entire post?

That being said, I agree with your premise. This is intended to be a reference thread. LSV has provided some good stuff, but there's also been some sketchy and/or irrelevant-for-Jeopardy info too. Editing posts with corrections is all well and good, but maybe hit the J-Archive to confirm the veracity of your facts before posting.
I add a few more just to be extra cautious in case they do indeed show up one of these days as we have added a few things to the J! Canon recently.
Douglas Squasoni
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:10 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:25 pm Was it necessary to quote that entire post?

That being said, I agree with your premise. This is intended to be a reference thread. LSV has provided some good stuff, but there's also been some sketchy and/or irrelevant-for-Jeopardy info too. Editing posts with corrections is all well and good, but maybe hit the J-Archive to confirm the veracity of your facts before posting.
I add a few more just to be extra cautious in case they do indeed show up one of these days as we have added a few things to the J! Canon recently.
You're doing good work. The bit about Garcia Lorca helped clear up my confusion between him and Vargas Llosa, which is super helpful. Don't think I don't appreciate what you're doing. But wrong info helps no one. Make like Archie Bell and also the Drells and tighten it up!
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:10 pm

Cautious is not the word I would use, since the one correction I see you've made is still not right. It's The Dark at the Top of the Stairs....I hope nobody's waiting around for the revival of Peter Shaffer's play Brother Anthony...! :roll:
LucarioSnooperVixey

Literature

United States

Civil Disobedience, Walden == Henry David Thoreau

Leaves of Grass, Song of Myself, O Captain My Captain == Walt Whitman

Song of Hiawatha, The Wreck of the Hesperus, The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere == Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Maine, Miles Corey, The House on the Hill == Edward Arlington Robinson

Trees == Joyce Kilmer

The New Colossus == Emma Lazarus

Sage of Baltimore == H. L. Mencken

All the King's Men == Robert Penn Warren

First African-American US Poet Laureate for Congress == Rita Dove

Female poet, James Baldwin == Nikki Giovanni(Although she might be a novelist.)

Maine, Female, Early 20th century, First Fig, etc. == Edna St. Vincent Millay

Candy is Dandy, but Liquor is Quicker == Ogden Nash

Female, 18th century, New England == Phyllis Wheatley

Wheelbarrow, This is Just to Say == William Carlos Williams

Female, 17th century, The Tenth Muse, Lately Sprung Up in America == Anne Bradstreet

Harlem Renaissance == Langston Hughes

United Kingdom

Romantic Poets: Lord Byron: She Walks in Beauty, Childe Harold, Fought for Greek Independence

Percy Bysshe Shelley: Ozymandias, Ode to the West Wind, Drowned off the coast of Italy

John Keats: Ode to a Nightingale, Ode on a Grecian Urn, Ode to Psyche, Ode to Autumn, Endymion, La Belle Damme San Merci

Samuel Taylor Coleridge: The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Kublai Khan

William Wordsworth: I wandered lonely as a cloud., Tintern Abbey, A View From Westminster Bridge

How do I love thee?, Sonnets from the Portuguese == Elizabeth Barrett Browning

The Pied Piper of Hamelin, Pippa's Passing, Andrea del Sarto == Robert Browning

Father Brown == G. K. Chesterton

A Shropshire Lad == A. E. Houseman

17th century, Death be Not Proud, For Whom the Bell Tolls, No Man is an Island == John Donne

17th century, Paradise Lost, Paradise Regained == John Milton

16th century, Astrophel and Stella == Sir Philip Sidney

The Pilgrim's Progress == John Bunyan

17th century, To His Coy Mistress == Andrew Marvell

Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard == Thomas Gray

First Poet Laureate == John Dryden

Funeral Blues == W. H. Auden

Berlin Stories == Christopher Isherwood

Anthem for Doomed Youth, Dulce et Ducorem Est == Wilfred Owen

The Soldier, The Old Vicarage Grantchester == Rupert Brooke

Nonsense Verse, The Owl and the Pussycat, The Dong with a Luminous Nose, The Tiger that Came to Tea == Edward Lear

Three Men in a Boat == Jerome K. Jerome

Paul Clifford == Edward Bulwar-Lytton

Irish Poet == William Butler Yeats

France

Les Fleurs du Mal(The Flowers of Evil) == Charles Beaudelaire

Paul Verlaine/Arthur Rimbaud

Bel-Ami, The Necklace == Guy de Maupassant

"Steak" == Chateaubriand

16th century essayist == Michel de Montagne

Surrealist Manifesto == Andre Breton

19th century German poet == Rainier Maria Rilke

Chilean Poet, Songs of Love and Despair == Pablo Neruda

Female Chilean poet, Nobel Laureate == Gabriela Mistral

Peruvian novelist, Nobel Laureate == Mario Vargas Llosa

Medieval, Female == Hildegard von Bingen
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:06 pm EDITED BY MOD to cut out repeat of long post. PLEASE do not quote long posts unless absolutely necessary.
...and essays, and detective stories, and travel writing...

Neither of these statements is true-
First US Poet Laureate, All the King's Men == Robert Penn Warren

First Female US Poet Laureate == Rita Dove
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:06 pm alot
I applaud your effort but think you may be a little too generous in your interpretation of Pavlov in this context. I can't say I ever heard of "Dulce et Ducorem Est" and don't have any reason for it to trigger a Pavlovian reaction. Should I know who wrote it? Maybe. Should I really drill it in? For me, not worth my time when there are far more common things I should be working on.

Plenty of good stuff in your list so let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater, but perhaps a narrower view (for the purpose of this thread) would be warranted.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

heppm01 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:03 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:06 pm alot
I applaud your effort but think you may be a little too generous in your interpretation of Pavlov in this context. I can't say I ever heard of "Dulce et Ducorem Est" and don't have any reason for it to trigger a Pavlovian reaction. Should I know who wrote it? Maybe. Should I really drill it in? For me, not worth my time when there are far more common things I should be working on.

Plenty of good stuff in your list so let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater, but perhaps a narrower view (for the purpose of this thread) would be warranted.
been thinking of how to put just this in a good way.

Pavlov's should be things that come up often on the show, not rarities, or might be on someday, or x always reminds me of y

Other than Scottish poet = Rrrrrrrrobbie Burrrrrrrns, the best example I can think of is Carmen by Bizet. Not that I checked, but I would say this one shows up in at least 85% of the Opera categories. In other words, you can pretty much count on it coming up if Opera is a category.

Here are the Pavlov's:

So best to remember Bizet = Carmen and Carmen = Bizet
Cigarette Song = Carmen (which = Bizet)
Spanish opera = Carmen
Spanish opera composer = Bizet
Gypsy = Carmen

anything more is too detailed or obscure and enough less likely to come up that it isn't worth being a Pavlov, such as based on a French novel.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:15 pm been thinking of how to put just this in a good way.

Pavlov's should be things that come up often on the show, not rarities, or might be on someday, or x always reminds me of y

Other than Scottish poet = Rrrrrrrrobbie Burrrrrrrns, the best example I can think of is Carmen by Bizet. Not that I checked, but I would say this one shows up in at least 85% of the Opera categories. In other words, you can pretty much count on it coming up if Opera is a category.

Here are the Pavlov's:

Spanish opera = Carmen
Gypsy = Carmen

anything more is too detailed or obscure and enough less likely to come up that it isn't worth being a Pavlov, such as based on a French novel.
Yeah, I would characterize a Pavlov as a phrase where there could be more than one answer, but there’s only one there really is any chance of being asked. On Jeopardy, if they ever say “Finnish composer,” it’s going to be Sibelius. Are there other Finnish composers? Yes. Are they going to ask about another besides Sibelius? Probably not.

On the architecture list above, one I can think of is if the question says “Prairie style,” it’s going to be Frank Lloyd Wright.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:45 pm On Jeopardy, if they ever say “Finnish composer,” it’s going to be Sibelius. Are there other Finnish composers? Yes. Are they going to ask about another besides Sibelius? Probably not.
Essa Pekka Salonen
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:45 pm Yeah, I would characterize a Pavlov as a phrase where there could be more than one answer, but there’s only one there really is any chance of being asked. On Jeopardy, if they ever say “Finnish composer,” it’s going to be Sibelius. Are there other Finnish composers? Yes. Are they going to ask about another besides Sibelius? Probably not.

On the architecture list above, one I can think of is if the question says “Prairie style,” it’s going to be Frank Lloyd Wright.
Or, to continue your theme, Finnish architect = Eero Saarinen. (And Finnish conductor = Esa-Pekka Salonen, but there's only one archive hit for that.)
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:01 pm (And Finnish conductor = Esa-Pekka Salonen, but there's only one archive hit for that.)
I found 5 archive hits, including the 1 that also names him as a composer. So that's the J! Pavlov, if there is one...
EDIT: Sorry, it's 6 hits, 2 also identify him as a composer...
goongas

Post by goongas »

Spanish opera = Carmen
Gypsy = Carmen

I would add habanera and opera = Carmen to this list. I did a quick archive search, it has come up seven times in context to Carmen.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

goongas wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:19 pm
Spanish opera = Carmen
Gypsy = Carmen

I would add habanera and opera = Carmen to this list. I did a quick archive search, it has come up seven times in context to Carmen.
I don't know how to do any type of thorough search, but I just searched Carmen, then did ctrl+f and typed opera, and got 112 hits...knew it came up often.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

goongas wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:19 pm
Spanish opera = Carmen
Gypsy = Carmen

I would add the March of the Toreadors, which I've also heard in the Bad News Bears and Gilligan's Island, among other places.
OCSam
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I don't think LSV should be criticized for adding too much information. I, for one, appreciate his efforts, and especially the opportunity to learn something new. Said criticism seems particularly inappropriate when this worthwhile thread had laid dormant for years.

(Not to mention he consistently racks up some of the highest Coryats and best FJ conversion rates on this site, so whatever he's doing for study is clearly effective.)
davey

Post by davey »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:51 pm I don't think LSV should be criticized for adding too much information. I, for one, appreciate his efforts, and especially the opportunity to learn something new. Said criticism seems particularly inappropriate when this worthwhile thread had laid dormant for years.

(Not to mention he consistently racks up some of the highest Coryats and best FJ conversion rates on this site, so whatever he's doing for study is clearly effective.)
Then there's the muddled-
Female poet, James Baldwin == Nikki Giovanni(Although she might be a novelist.)
or just wrong information...
Peruvian poet, Nobel Laureate == Mario Vargas Llosa
(He's not known as a poet...)
I'm glad to note the Poet Laureate errors have been corrected, however...
A lot of non-poets for a list headed Poetry...
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

A couple literature ones:

"The (random name) (random noun)" = Robert Ludlum. Random name is most commonly Bourne, but if you see anything like "The Huverny Entrapment" or "The Jurgkinsky Devolution", that's Ludlum.

Numbered poem = Emily Dickinson
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:06 pm but if you see anything like "The Huverny Entrapment" or "The Jurgkinsky Devolution", that's Ludlum.
Or a Big Bang Theory episode...
davey

Post by davey »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:06 pm
I wouldn't say Dickinson's poems are particularly known for being numbered...especially since she didn't number them herself. They're known by their first lines, and that's how J! refers to them.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

davey wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:21 pm
mas3cf wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:06 pm
I wouldn't say Dickinson's poems are particularly known for being numbered...especially since she didn't number them herself. They're known by their first lines, and that's how J! refers to them.
That's how J! refers to them = the reason it's a Pavlov!