Friday, October 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, October 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by brick »

floridagator wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:52 am I was rooting for Kara so it was disheartening to see her blow $7,000 late in double jeopardy. She really didn't need to make that $5,000 Daily Double. Just finding it was enough to secure her lead.
A new friend of mine is close friends with Kara, so I was rooting for her. She made me nervous there!
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Only off by $200 from my peak Coryat this season, thanks to some good pacing by the contestants and some categories made for me (gut feeling, 90s hits), and some almost psychic responses on my part.

Surprisingly, I would have run Horror Movies despite note having seen any of the films; I got tripped up on the "jigsaw" top row clue as well. I think the row placement felt a little off in a lot of categories - I went 7/12 in the bottom row, and 7/12 for the top row if I spot myself getting the "gut feeling" question right.

Ran the "gut feelings" and "90s hits" categories. I said "Biggie Smalls" for the last clue, and I'll admit - I did have to check to make sure that it was the same person, since I know just three songs involving Biggie: "Mo Money", "Hypnotize", and Puffy's tribute "I'll Be Missing You" which samples Sting. For some reason "Notorious" wasn't on my tongue, but that category would be one that I'd find difficult to stay clam - I literally have a playlist that has every #1 hit from 1980 through 1999 (except for "Hey Mickey" because it wasn't available on Spotify at the time).

"Lingua franca" I knew from having seen the Rosetta Stone - amazing to think how it unlocked Egyptian writings.

Didn't get FJ. Thought of the Qur'an - I did pick up on the "parts" hint, and knew the response was something broken up into pieces. Qur'an fits that, since it has chapters. The years didn't seem to help me. I knew that translation of the Qur'an into other languages is problematic at best, and controversial at worst. I figured that maybe it took that long to get a European translation?
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

I came up with the Epic of Gilgamesh for FJ; didn’t realize that the 1001 Nights were translated that early, and was confident it wasn’t the Rubiyat or the Koran. Sigh. Lousy capper to meh FJ week for me.

Thought Kevin would last longer based on his first victory, but in his other appearances, he showed a bad habit of guessing too much.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Toni Collette was my only miss though I have heard of her.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Chock, Peristaltic Waves, Jigsaw, (Lingua Franca), Howards End, Three Oranges, Saint-Denis, (St. Joseph), Names
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:54 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:04 am The FJ! clue was a fail for me all around. Speed reading the clue I started writing "Don Q" before seeing enough to put on the brakes. Slowing down I processed "Syrian" to Arabic and wrote "The Rubiyat" to compound my errors missing on years, century, language, spelling, etc. :oops:
Well, I feel a lot better about my own miss now. (+1 for the Rubaiyat.)
Robert K S wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:34 pm Rubaiyat++
mas3cf wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:36 pm Fell into the Rubaiyat trap.
MollyQMurphy wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:09 pm Rubiyaat here, too.
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:25 am Mark me down as another ruby yacht.
Rubaiyat != Syria, Rubaiyat == Persia(Iran)
Rubaiyat != 15th century, Rubaiyat == 11th century
Rubaiyat translated by Edward Fitzgerald in Mid-19th century.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Didn't say Rubaiyat because I thought it was right, but because it seemed "right enough" and 1001 Nights never crossed my mind. The category had me thinking literature solemn not fabulous. Anyway, not sure why you bring up RFB, since the most famous translation of Nights is his.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

brick wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:51 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:24 pm
brick wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:51 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:03 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:47 pm"Don't say St. Louis, don't say St...damnit". The Pony Express/St. Joseph connection strikes again. When's the last time a contestant got that right?
September 6, 2002. Ask me how I know.
How do you know?
I was standing one podium over next to the guy on stage as he made a new record Daily Double wager. Thanks for asking!
Happy to help!
That's one way to get a new fact to stick. :D I had to learn the western terminus was Sacramento on my own, though. So many California cities start with S, you know.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:43 pm Didn't say Rubaiyat because I thought it was right, but because it seemed "right enough" and 1001 Nights never crossed my mind. The category had me thinking literature solemn not fabulous. Anyway, not sure why you bring up RFB, since the most famous translation of Nights is his.
...While the most famous translation of the Rubaiyat is Edward* Fitzgerald's.

* Stick with "Ed" to be safe.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I missed by a long way in FJ, picking The Odyssey in a coin toss with The Iliad. At least it could be described as a two part work. And yes, I know it's Greek rather than from the Arabic world. 1001 Nights never crossed my mind. And now I have to go look up Rubaiyat and learn about that work thanks to several of you.

I couldn't attempt any pre-calling, but I did remind myself that World XXX meant not from the USA when used as a category name on J! Of course, the clue itself eliminated that once revealed, so the category became pretty useless as a potential hint.
--Peter
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:29 pm 58 R (Toni Collette was my only miss though I have heard of her.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Chock, Peristaltic Waves, Jigsaw, (Lingua Franca), Howards End, Three Oranges, Saint-Denis, (St. Joseph), Names
The picture of Toni Collette didn’t ring any bells from me - looked different than how I remembered her.
I knew she was in “that ABBA movie from 1995ish” (Muriel’s Wedding) and “that movie with Nia Vardalos”.
goongas

Post by goongas »

The picture of Toni Collette didn’t ring any bells from me - looked different than how I remembered her.
I knew she was in “that ABBA movie from 1995ish” (Muriel’s Wedding) and “that movie with Nia Vardalos”.
Only reason I got Toni Collette is because the clue said Australian actress. Otherwise I would not have recognized her.
uncapitalized

Post by uncapitalized »

Peter the accountant wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:03 pm I missed by a long way in FJ, picking The Odyssey in a coin toss with The Iliad. At least it could be described as a two part work. And yes, I know it's Greek rather than from the Arabic world. 1001 Nights never crossed my mind. And now I have to go look up Rubaiyat and learn about that work thanks to several of you.

I couldn't attempt any pre-calling, but I did remind myself that World XXX meant not from the USA when used as a category name on J! Of course, the clue itself eliminated that once revealed, so the category became pretty useless as a potential hint.
I actually don't think that's a silly guess since I'm pretty sure lots of classical Greek texts were reintroduced to the West from contact with the Arab world and their Arabic translations.

I got FJ right but I did think of the Rubaiyat after 1001 Nights as a possibility, but I had a hunch that it was Persian which I confirmed after watching.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Peter the accountant wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:03 pmAnd now I have to go look up Rubaiyat and learn about that work thanks to several of you.
Aha! FitzGerald's paraphrase of the Rubaiyat is the source of:
A jug of wine, a loaf of bread, and thee.

Yes, I'm a bit of a simpleton when it comes to literature. But I'm learning.
--Peter
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Peter the accountant wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:56 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:03 pmAnd now I have to go look up Rubaiyat and learn about that work thanks to several of you.
'Thou', I believe. Rhymes with 'bough' and 'enow'.
I'm smart and I want respect.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:43 pm Didn't say Rubaiyat because I thought it was right, but because it seemed "right enough" and 1001 Nights never crossed my mind. The category had me thinking literature solemn not fabulous. Anyway, not sure why you bring up RFB, since the most famous translation of Nights is his.
i didn't say it because i had never heard of it before...looked it up...doesn't seem very interesting and will not retain it
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:48 pm Rubaiyat != Syria, Rubaiyat == Persia(Iran)
I just figured from the clue that it must have been translated in Syria on its way over to Europe.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

bomtr wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:26 pm
gnash wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:53 pm
mas3cf wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:55 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:41 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:32 pm

Hardly. The average retirement age according to the Census Bureau is 63, so unless life expectancy has really gone way up, they're about 5-7 years too high.
Keep in mind that by the time you reach age 63, on average, your overall life expectancy is higher than it was at birth.
The age at which your life expectancy is 22 more years is 59 for men and 63 for women. So I guess the clue was aimed at women... :D
Life expectancy of people who have any retirement savings is longer.
Almost surely true, but have there been studies done on this?
Yes, tons, especially as the life expectancy gap between the rich and the poor has been widening.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Thought of the Ruby Yacht, but figured it was earlier, and went to Arabian Nights. 8-)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Lefty wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:37 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:56 pm
'Thou', I believe. Rhymes with 'bough' and 'enow'.
Nowadays, it's a jug of wine, a loaf of bread, and a hundred thou.