FJs for the 9/30/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 9/30/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:51 pm

To complete one of its regular trips, in 1948 it took a boat across the English Channel; in 1952 it took a plane en route to Finland
81%
A chain of volcanoes is named for this mountain range where the continental USA's deadliest eruption took place
82%
It's also called the czar fish
60%
The OED's first citation for this phrase referring to a region of the U.S. is from a Durant, Oklahoma newspaper in 1936
84%
Some parts were translated from a 15th century Syrian manuscript when this work was introduced to Europe around 1700
40%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
19%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
TIME FOR A SNACK $200: Arrr! snacks from this buccaneer brand include veggie puffs & aged white Cheddar puffs
48%
WHAT'S THAT AWARD FOR? $200: The Arthur C. Clarke Award
94%
WHAT'S THAT AWARD FOR? $1000:  The Clio Awards: "to celebrate creative excellence in" this
78%
I figured out Mt. St. Helens for the Tuesday FJ! clue, but did not know the range.
10%
COLLEGE-POURRI $600: Bowling Green teams in this state were once known as the BG Normals or BG Pedagogues but Falcons seems a better fit - I negged with Kentucky.
31%
COLLEGE-POURRI $600: Bowling Green teams in this state were once known as the BG Normals or BG Pedagogues but Falcons seems a better fit - I was correct with Ohio.
48%
I could have won the Thursday game from the 4th podium. (At least $5600 in Lach Trash + correct on FJ! clue or $11,200 in Lach Trash)
40%
Bible Belt was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
5%
"The Rubaiyat" was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
21%

Total votes: 98

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: FJs for the 9/30/19 week

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: answered beluga for sturgeon, understand that it counts. Did consider the Ruby Yacht, but rejected it. :P
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( tried to think of the muses, went with dance (that's Terpsichore)
didn't see Thursday's game (%$&^*! Thursday night football), no vote.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

When I went 2/5 the first week and 3/5 the second week, I figured I was working my way up and would go 5/5 this week, but I've been stuck at 3/5 each week since.

I feel it was in me to get Wednesday's and Friday's, but it just didn't happen at the moments when I encountered them.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rubaiyat on Friday; Arabian Nights never occurred to me
Was pretty sure BGSU was in Ohio, but I waited for the Kentucky neg and picked up the rebound
Won from the fourth podium Thursday
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Got Bowling Green and Ball State confused and said Indiana. I clearly need some more MACtion in my life.

I also forgot what category we were in (multitasking watching Jeopardy and wrangling a toddler is hard) and said history for Clio.
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Living in Kentucky gave me the edge on the Bowling Green question, since the Kentucky school's nickname is the Hilltoppers.
Never heard of "Pirate's Booty" snacks.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

earendel wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:22 am :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Living in Kentucky gave me the edge on the Bowling Green question, since the Kentucky school's nickname is the Hilltoppers.
How often, if at all, do you go to Costco? I always see Pirate’s Booty there. No way I would have ever gotten it otherwise.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:28 am
earendel wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:22 am :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
How often, if at all, do you go to Costco? I always see Pirate’s Booty there. No way I would have ever gotten it otherwise.
We have a membership but my wife does the shopping. All I get at Costco is gasoline.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
xabe
Valued Contributor

Post by xabe »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I may have slumdogged Friday's FJ - I just started reading Husain Haddawy's translation last week, and the introduction goes into a lot of detail on the origins and various translations of the stories. Can't say for sure if I would have guessed it right otherwise.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:28 am
never heard of it...have never been to a costco before
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: