Tuesday, October 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Board
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Board
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LAST WORDS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1876 in the Dakotas this American said, “The old duffer broke me on the last hand”

Jessica Garsed: 17200+2800=20000 (2x = $32,600)
Rahul Garabadu: minus 400
Scottie Biddle: 2800-2800=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
(Wild) Bill Hickock (Scottie – Custer)

Daily Doubles
Scottie: 1400+1000
Scottie: 6000-6000
Scottie: 4000-2000

Coryats
Jessica: 17200
Rahul: minus 400
Scottie: 10600

Combined: 27,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jessica: 6000
Rahul: 800
Scottie: 5200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If Alex is getting down on himself for errors and having to announce corrections it's not always his fault. Contestants could help him by saying the right thing, especially when it comes down to the pesky "s" to end a company's name. Today it was in Meat category that Alex had to take away $1600 from Jessica after the break for not pluralizing the Omaha one.

The gentlemen seemed to have ideas on how to attack the board in a non-orderly approach and it did not go well at times. Scottie lost $8000 on DDs 2 & 3 and could have led with correct responses while it would not have mattered since he missed the the FJ! clue. There was no way he was going to have 34400 to lock the match.

The FJ! clue had me do two things. One, immediately write the correct name. Two, wonder if someone would go with Custer. Scottie bit, and during think time the panning shot of him with a S.E.G., okay, wide smile, looked like he was confident he was right.

Nice title defense by Jessica to improve on yesterday's game.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Nope on FJ for me. I'm usually OK on history, but the Old West is a gap of mine. All I knew is that the geography was telling me it wasn't
Spoiler
Custer, despite 1876 being there to tantalize you
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

knew it was the dead man's hand dude...even know the fifth card to his aa88 (queen of hearts), but could not come up with the dude's name
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Admittedly I may be spoiled by the fact that we've had two ultrachampions in one year, but I honestly think this game and the past three games before it have all been very bad. Between the huge numbers of unanswered clues, the small paydays, and the large amounts of incorrect responses, these games have all been quite painful to sit through and it really does make me wish James or Jason was still going.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Was I the only one who found DD2 vaguely worded? "New evidence suggests that the QWERTY keyboard design may have sprung from telegraph operators translating this." I interpreted the "this" as asking for some kind of phrase, and could only come up with "S.O.S."

As for the wager on DD3, who's going to post the Herm Edwards video?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

A little something I noticed: In the Jeopardy round there was a clue about the Wendy's Dave Thomas and a clue about Dave Thomas from Bob and Doug Mackenzie.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:30 pm Was I the only one who found DD2 vaguely worded? "New evidence suggests that the QWERTY keyboard design may have sprung from telegraph operators translating this." I interpreted the "this" as asking for some kind of phrase, and could only come up with "S.O.S."

i would have actually wagered 0 there...he had 0 chance of winning that game with the number of clues available, so what is the point in wagering anything? wagering 2k jeopardizes his pretty much locked up 2nd place
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:37 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:30 pm Was I the only one who found DD2 vaguely worded? "New evidence suggests that the QWERTY keyboard design may have sprung from telegraph operators translating this." I interpreted the "this" as asking for some kind of phrase, and could only come up with "S.O.S."

i would have actually wagered 0 there...he had 0 chance of winning that game with the number of clues available, so what is the point in wagering anything? wagering 2k jeopardizes his pretty much locked up 2nd place
If he had gone all-in on DD3 and gotten it correct, he would at that moment have had exactly half of Jessica's score. (When he landed on the DD, he had $4,000 and she had $16,000. He wagered $2,000.)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:44 pm

If he had gone all-in on DD3 and gotten it correct, he would at that moment have had exactly half of Jessica's score. (When he landed on the DD, he had $4,000 and she had $16,000. He wagered $2,000.)
okay..so he would have been at 8k...what was the total sum of the clue values remaining?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

That DD3 just killed me. I get it. You've got TV nerves. You just got bit hard by the last DD. Maybe you're not a "math person". But you're down 4000 against 16000, with only 3200 left on the board maximum if there are no unrevealed clues. Maybe he gave up and was trying to lock the second podium out of the $2000 consolation prize? I mean, I guess he wasn't wrong in retrospect - keeping $2000 back would have helped him if second podium got the next question right instead of wrong to hit $1200, AND third podium got the $800 question right to hit $2800, locking second place up. But I'd like to see a little more Holtzhauer "go big or go home" - you've only got one shot on J!

I immediately cringed at the "Omaha Steak" response and felt for the champ. I looked it up just to make sure before the ruling was announced, and yup, it's Steaks. A couple of days ago, I would have almost been in favor of a little bit of leniency, specifically with plurals like that. But last Sunday I endured 22 minutes of guest star Michael Rapaport's character saying "Mr. Simpsons" on "The Simpsons", and it irked me to no end, so I get the ruling.

Another "Fiddler on the Roof" question in DJ! after a FJ! question earlier this season. And a sort of tough one for English speakers to pronounce, too.

First on my precall list for FJ! was Twain, so my mindset was in the right country and right era. Knew that "on the last hand" was a poker hand, and figured it was the dead man's hand from the "Dakotas" clue, since I knew the dead man's hand happened in Deadwood, (South) Dakota. From there, it was EYKIOYD - Wild Bill was the only "Wild West" guy that came to my mind other than Billy the Kid, and I associate Billy the Kid with murdering more than gambling.

In alternate answers:

Anyone else happen to say "Black plague" instead of "black death"? That's how I always refer to it, and it's in the Wiki article, so I imagine it's acceptable. But wiki says it's "less common".

I cheekily wonder if they would have accepted "Open Apple-Control-Reset" instead of "Control-Alt-Delete" after the commercial break.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I didn't care for the clue because the word "translating" threw me off. You don't translate Morse code, you transcribe it.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

Custer felt like pretty big negbait on FJ, but considering no one who could actually record his last words made it out, it just didn’t fit and I had to do a quick pivot to someone who died playing poker. My best friend is also from Deadwood and I think she would have been very disappointed if I hadn’t pulled Wild Bill.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:44 pm

For CasketRomance: The scores at DD3 were 16000 to 4000 to 400

Let's give Scottie a get on the DD and the farm. That's 8000. From there we'll go with only what happened with the remaining clues.

Jessica +1200 for 17200
Rahul -800 for -400
Scottie: +800 for 8800 and no runaway.

If Scottie had a get and a wager of 3800 then 8600 against 17200 is the always fun scenario if Jessica should bet the buck or stay pat.

As is Scottie did not know the FJ! clue. The 2000 wager did not lock up 2nd place either at the time so not even Cochran & associates are getting him off the hook there.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the minimum value you're allowed to wager on a DD no less than $5?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

"In 1876..."
Custer, ho hum...
"...in the Dakotas..."
Ooooohhhh. Hmm...last hand, cards? Wild Bill! Yeah, in Deadwood, that works.

Not my favorite collection of games recently.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Serendipity? Or really subtle and clever clue timing?
Spoiler
Deadwood: The Movie came out on DVD today
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Don't think I've ever seen Alex hint at a score change like that before.

I ran Many Hands and "Ra Ra", and got all but Omaha Steak in Meat Industry.

So of course a great J! round means a lousy DJ! round for me.

I, too, was baffled on the Computer DD. I couldn't think of anything to guess.

Viola is a name?

No guess on FJ! I know literally nothing about Wild Bill Hickock or Deadwood other than that they existed. Yet another case of only "half-knowing" bites me in the ass.