Tuesday, October 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear »

1876 + Dakotas + last hand = Wild Bill Hickok 8-)
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:01 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:37 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:30 pm Was I the only one who found DD2 vaguely worded? "New evidence suggests that the QWERTY keyboard design may have sprung from telegraph operators translating this." I interpreted the "this" as asking for some kind of phrase, and could only come up with "S.O.S."

As for the wager on DD3, who's going to post the Herm Edwards video?
i would have actually wagered 0 there...he had 0 chance of winning that game with the number of clues available, so what is the point in wagering anything? wagering 2k jeopardizes his pretty much locked up 2nd place
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the minimum value you're allowed to wager on a DD no less than $5?
you are right...5 bucks it is...2k was probably the dumbest wager ever...glad that dude lost with a dumb wager like that...5 bucks or all in is what he should have gone with
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:53 pm
CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:01 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:37 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:30 pm Was I the only one who found DD2 vaguely worded? "New evidence suggests that the QWERTY keyboard design may have sprung from telegraph operators translating this." I interpreted the "this" as asking for some kind of phrase, and could only come up with "S.O.S."

As for the wager on DD3, who's going to post the Herm Edwards video?
i would have actually wagered 0 there...he had 0 chance of winning that game with the number of clues available, so what is the point in wagering anything? wagering 2k jeopardizes his pretty much locked up 2nd place
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the minimum value you're allowed to wager on a DD no less than $5?
you are right...5 bucks it is...2k was probably the dumbest wager ever...glad that dude lost with a dumb wager like that...5 bucks or all in is what he should have gone with
It ultimately really wouldn't have mattered what he wagered though. Jessica knew the FJ question and he didn't, so even in an alternate scenario where he bet the full farm on that second DJ DD and actually got it right, he still would've lost the game.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:04 pm Don't think I've ever seen Alex hint at a score change like that before.
There were occasions in '80s episodes where Alex would say something like, "We'll get the contestants' dollar figures caught up during the commercial," but I don't know if that counts as a score change.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 40,800
49 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Strange Brew, (Omaha Steaks), Morse code (DD), Newport News cycle, Viola, baby Grand Rapids (DD)

Yesterday I predicted that Jessica would not win again, and I was proven wrong. She has won the Coryat battle in both of her games but has yet to uncover a DD. The latter bit would be a disadvantage most days, but in her case it has led to a net loss of $6000 by her opponents. Two sole solves on FJ! haven't hurt her case. It will be interesting to see if she can keep winning this way, as well as what happens when she eventually uncovers some DDs.

DD2 was poorly written, but I figured that the writers were more likely to being going for Morse code as opposed to some work that might have been transmitted via telegraph. FJ! was a pretty clear allusion to the "dead man's hand," so Hickok it was.

Another shout-out to my Leitner box (if you aren't familiar, take a few minutes to read through this site, particularly if you are trying to get on the show) for helping me get the Clara Schumann clue. I'm still 50/50/90 on Schubert vs. Schumann, but at least it came up aces (not accompanied with eights) today.
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:53 pm you are right...5 bucks it is...2k was probably the dumbest wager ever...glad that dude lost with a dumb wager like that...5 bucks or all in is what he should have gone with
FTFY. Any wager other than all in is absolutely indefensible. As has been pointed out upthread, doubling up would have put his total at exactly half of Jessica's. Given that there were only $400 and $800 clues left and the LTAM warning had already been given, he needed every dime he could squeeze out of that DD. But, have been once bitten by going all in and missing on (a poorly worded) DD2, he was twice shy on DD3. Instead of taking a deep breath, looking at the scores, recognizing the gravity of the situation, and putting the hammer down, he just gave up. That was apparent in his response as well, which didn't come close to fitting the category.
Sprinkles are for winners.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

A high steaks reversal didn't do anything to change the course of this game.

I ran the female composers category, complete with pre-calling Fanny Mendelssohn and Clara Schumann.

Choked on FJ and said Billy the Kid. :oops:
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Poor Rahul couldn't seem to get the knack of the buzzer. It's been talked about before, but buzzer technique is important, and something worth practicing if you manage to get the call.

I went with Custer in FJ, but didn't like the answer. I would have preferred someone associated with Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, but no names were forthcoming. Didn't matter, as they would have been just as wrong.
--Peter
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

Had no problem with FJ. Mom to the Custer negbait, but had to be Wild Bill given the context.

Also had issues with Morse Code phrasing. Knew that was what they wanted and would have said it, but felt like it was so obvious it couldn't be right. (Not sure if that made sense, but maybe.)

Actually howled "Nooooo!" at the tv when Scottie bet $2000. I have to think he felt beaten and didn't realize he had a slender path to a win by betting it all. I felt bad for him. You get into a daze up there.
Pending...
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (Missed Omaha Steaks and Steve Kroft.)
LT: Strange Brew, Cinematographers, Sholem Aleichem, (Morse Code), Newport News Cycle, Viola, Support, (Baby Grand Rapids)

For Rahul, Mesmerism is named for a real life Austrian.
Douglas Squasoni
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:50 pm 54 R (Missed Omaha Steaks and Steve Kroft.)
LT: Strange Brew, Cinematographers, Sholem Aleichem, (Morse Code), Newport News Cycle, Viola, Support, (Baby Grand Rapids)

For Rahul, Mesmerism is named for a real life Austrian.
would never have pegged you as someone who would have come up with strange brew
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I call hubris on Scotty's audacious TDD. He didn't need to make that bet and then declined to make the TDD he did need to make.

I instantly pre called the reversal on Omaha Steaks. (Hey my autocorrect just changed steak to steaks. It knows the correct answer better than the contestant.)

I was tempted to go with Custer because of 1876 and The Dakotas but having been in the saloon where Wild Bill Hickok was murdered I quickly switched to the correct answer.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

I know now how bad a guess Custer was, but during the :30 it seemed just fine. The poker reference is a metaphor, right?... :oops:
But hey, I gave myself Newport News day for Newport News cycle, so there's that. Any objection?
Golf

Post by Golf »

Watching Scottie struggle for correct answers on the DJ DD's, how many were thinking of that catchy Eurotrip song? :lol: