Friday, October 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, October 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:31 pm
mas3cf wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:45 am FJ: should have thought of that. That's pretty much Jeopardy's favorite play to ask about. Said Neil Simon for lack of any better ideas. Rough FJ week for me... 1/5.
Considering that "Paul Simon" was the correct response for a FJ clue earlier this week, it would've felt odd to have two FJ clues with that last name as the correct question in the same week.
It also would have been odd if Neil Simon had won 3 Pulitzer Prizes...He only won once, for Lost in Yonkers in 1991, only because it was a little more serious than his early work.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MasterCone wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:14 pm
(redacted stuff (edited))

Just the early firepower from Lindsey had a different feel to it. No offense in the slightest to Susan, who clearly has the chops to have hung in there despite a big deficit, and to properly wager. I hope ANY female can make a big run again soon, no matter how it's done.
I also thought Lindsey was going to launch a long run. She just seemed to have the mojo (did she get that one?). For probably no good reason, she reminded me of Jackie Fuchs/Fox. Alex's joke about the all-nighter was the funniest thing he's said this year :lol:

Oh, Jeopardy Lindsey, we hardly knew 'ye.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:41 pm I knew Edward Albee had won several Pulitzers, and none for his most famous play, so this was an instaget for me, ending my stagnation of three straight weeks of 3/5 on FJ. (Next up, 5/5!)
talkingaway wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:00 pm Jeopardy is now trolling me. Yesterday, "sage + biblical prophet = Solomon" was wrong. Today, "Solomon = wisdom" is right. Both had secondary clues that narrowed the response.
Solomon may be considered a prophet, but I don't think J! has ever referred to him in that way. (There aren't any results if you search J! Archive for "Solomon proph," which would account for related words like "prophecy" or "prophetic.")
Yeah, when I responded to the "(prophet here) come to judgement" clue last night, I didn't "ring in" on my Coryat spreadsheet, silently questioning to myself, "Solomon?", for precisely that reason. He's technically a prophet, but much better known as a king. I knew the response was a bad fit, especially since the specific word associated with Solomon is "wisdom", not just "sage". But Solomon was my best guess, and at least I stayed clam.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:55 pm
MasterCone wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:14 pm
(redacted troll post)

Just the early firepower from Lindsey had a different feel to it. No offense in the slightest to Susan, who clearly has the chops to have hung in there despite a big deficit, and to properly wager. I hope ANY female can make a big run again soon, no matter how it's done.
I also thought Lindsey was going to launch a long run. She just seemed to have the mojo (did she get that one?). For probably no good reason, she reminded me of Jackie Fuchs/Fox. Alex's joke about the all-nighter was the funniest thing he's said this year :lol:

Oh, Jeopardy Lindsey, we hardly knew 'ye.

why do you say my post was a troll? her post pretty much sounds like she thinks the other lady has no chance at making a deep run
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Hugo Z wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:10 am Got the FJ because I had a weird flashback to the Mad magazine parody of the movie, and realized the play would seem controversial in that era. Now, of course, nobody would bat an eye.
Larry Siegel, the writer of the parody, wanted to call it "Who in Hell Is Virginia Woolfe," but he wasn't allowed to use "hell."

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 46,200
52 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :oops:
LT: Elton John, Hoosier poet, Golden Horde, Snidely Whiplash, grandstand, Rio Grande (DD), Bryce Canyon

It is rather unfortunate that "Jeopardy! Lindsey" wasn't around long enough to make that name stick.

A neg of IBM rather than GE cost me a perfect J! round. I followed that up by negging on the first clue of DJ!, letting myself be swayed from Genghis to Kublai. I got the Rio Grande DD mostly from living in Texas, but I wasn't able to pull the trigger on Jimmy Carter. I figured there had to be a bestselling presidential novel before him. I also blanked on Stacey Abrams's name since it's been a couple of weeks since she was in the news for once again claiming to be the rightful governor of Georgia.

On FJ! I had the right play but the wrong playwright. I tend to get Edward Albee and Eugene O'Neill mixed up, so I need to put some cards in the ol' Leitner box to fix that once and for all.

Please tell me I wasn't the only person here who said, after a certain clue in the Medical Abbrev. category, "OPV? Yeah, you know me!"
Sprinkles are for winners.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

LOL, just LOL at Zion being someone's last name. (At least he didn't say Arches.)

I struggled with FJ and guessed Tom Stoppard. I think the key to this FJ was knowing how many Pulitzer Prizes individuals had won.

I'm reminded of a crude old joke where two men are pretentiousally hurling quotations and author's names at one another , e.g. one says "Any man who represents himself has a fool for a client. Clarence Darrow" and the second one responds, "First thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers. William Shakespeare ." And this goes back and forth and finally the second one ends the conversation with the quote,
Spoiler
"F--- y--. Edward Albee."
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:29 pm
Could not for the life of me remember Ray Charles' name, costing me the run
How is it you're unfamiliar with his #1 album?

I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Lindsey looked unstoppable in the Jeopardy round. Susan got her buzzer mojo going in DJ and despite her glaring mistake of not immediately hunting for DD3, it ended not necessarily being a bad thing that Lindsey got it instead.

Lindsey looked like she wanted to be anywhere other than the stage after that loss, It is an honor just to get on the show, but methinks Lindsey expected much, much more.
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:03 am I struggled with FJ and guessed Tom Stoppard. I think the key to this FJ was knowing how many Pulitzer Prizes individuals had won.
Knowing who's eligible for one is an even better place to start...
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

What I know about American Playwrights would fit in a thimble. I was hoping it was one of those categories with a clue that was only tangentially related, such as "This american playwright is much more widely known as the current quarterback for the New England Patriots".

Given that, the two names that popped into my head were O'Neill and Henry Miller, and I went with the former.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:07 am
why do you say my post was a troll? her post pretty much sounds like she thinks the other lady has no chance at making a deep run
Of course it was a troll. Do you really not recognize that? Have you been watching too much Fox News Channel?

I made a mistake by labeling the courtesy deletion as a nod to the OP who you basically accused of malevolence (can't think of a better word, sorry). I aim is to never flame and hopefully to be constructive, possibly interesting, and not make the board dumber. Y tu?
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

Lindsey's collapse was the most tragic in recent memory. She had multi-day championship potential for sure. But she did it to herself. Whiffing late on an extremely easy DD was cringe worthy, and then she made a very ill advised FJ wager to cover a potential farm bet that was extremely unlikely to occur (given that Susan needed Lindsey to miss in order to win). Two huge mistakes leading to a very painful loss after a dominant performance. No wonder she looked devastated and wanted to get out of there.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:39 am
Of course it was a troll. Do you really not recognize that? Have you been watching too much Fox News Channel?

I made a mistake by labeling the courtesy deletion as a nod to the OP who you basically accused of malevolence (can't think of a better word, sorry). I aim is to never flame and hopefully to be constructive, possibly interesting, and not make the board dumber. Y tu?
If your “aim is to never flame and hopefully to be constructive”, you sure missed the target here. I have to agree with Casket on this one.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

definitely not a troll..was my interpretation
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

floridagator wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:03 am LOL, just LOL at Zion being someone's last name. (At least he didn't say Arches.)

I struggled with FJ and guessed Tom Stoppard. I think the key to this FJ was knowing how many Pulitzer Prizes individuals had won.

I'm reminded of a crude old joke where two men are pretentiousally hurling quotations and author's names at one another , e.g. one says "Any man who represents himself has a fool for a client. Clarence Darrow" and the second one responds, "First thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers. William Shakespeare ." And this goes back and forth and finally the second one ends the conversation with the quote,
Spoiler
"F--- y--. Edward Albee."

why not? there have been people with the surname of arches
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

floridagator wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:03 am
Oh, I know the album. I think my brain was trying to pull Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles at the same time and it jammed the signals.

Either that or I was thinking of Metamodern Sounds in Country Music by Sturgill SImpson instead.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

cthulhu wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:00 pm

If your “aim is to never flame and hopefully to be constructive”, you sure missed the target here. I have to agree with Casket on this one.
So this: "Sad, because I feel like we are way past due for another female superchampion".

Means this?: "she thinks the other lady has no chance at making a deep run"

It sounds like Hannity or Limbaugh telling me that I hate America. I won't dignify this tactic with further discussion.

I "mea culpa'd" my parethetical (it was "troll post deleted"), it was meant to be affirming to the OP, who does not need, nor ask for affirmation.
I look forward to being told what I think and say in future posts. Please don't hold back and have a nice day :D
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:32 pm

So this: "Sad, because I feel like we are way past due for another female superchampion".

It sounds like Hannity or Limbaugh telling me that I hate America. I won't dignify this tactic with further discussion.

I "mea culpa'd" my parethetical (it was "troll post deleted"), it was meant to be affirming to the OP, who does not need, nor ask for affirmation.
I look forward to being told what I think and say in future posts. Please don't hold back and have a nice day :D

zone on this part of the post

"She just couldn't keep it rolling on the buzzer and then got tentative on the DD too."

then add the point you highlighted

"Sad, because I feel like we are way past due for another female superchampion".

which signifies that woman was the only hope for the latter to happen
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

what does that mean? i am pretty lazy in most aspects of life, but i rarely do abbreviations and prefer typing out most things in full
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

You said you wanted to be constructive, but in the same post, you clearly went after Casket with the Fox News comment. Then you did it again with me. Seems flamey, not constructive.

As far as the OP’s comment "Sad, because I feel like we are way past due for another female superchampion" goes, I interpreted this as saying that the OP felt Lindsey had the makings of a superchampion, with the implication being that Susan may not. That implication may well have been inadvertent and not intentional, but to me (and Casket) it was there.

Also, please identify in my post where I told you what you think and say.