"A Big Statistic" for $400 poll (10/14/19 spoiler)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

What was your response to "A Big Statistic" for $400?

I said "scuba diver".
3%
I said "lifeguard".
14%
I said "underwater welder".
1%
I was correct with "fishing".
38%
I stayed clam.
40%
I gave another incorrect response (indicate in comments).
4%

Total votes: 78

TenPoundHammer

"A Big Statistic" for $400 poll (10/14/19 spoiler)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The clue in "A Big Statistic" for $400 read:
Drowning is the most common death for those doing this, the most dangerous job in the U.S. as per a 2019 newspaper report
All three contestants rang in with the incorrect responses of scuba diver, lifeguard, and underwater welder. The correct response was
Spoiler
fishing
I'm curious to see what the spread was for negs on this, since I too said "lifeguard".
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: "A Big Statistic" for $400 poll (10/14/19 spoiler)

Post by Volante »

Well, 'fisherman' but close enough to right.

The show's called "Deadliest Catch" for a reason.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Volante wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:07 pm Well, 'fisherman' but close enough to right.

That's both what I said an my logic, too.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Clam for me. It was a perfect storm of no idea what to guess as I've never seen the Clooney movie or Deadliest Catch. Or any form of Baywatch. Or been swimming or fishing since the Reagan administration. This clue seems like one that will have way more negs/clams than gets and I think it's great to settle it all before Saturday as I like one-day pop-ups.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

would crab fishing have been accepted? or too specific?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Like Erin I said underwater welder. Not sure why the audience thought it was funny because it is a very dangerous job.
Plenty of references out there stating that it is one of the, if not the most dangerous jobs. For example: https://kmhk.com/the-five-deadliest-jobs-in-america/
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:27 am Like Erin I said underwater welder. Not sure why the audience thought it was funny because it is a very dangerous job.
i didn't get the laughter either...scuba diver was the worst of the 3 since it isn't necessarily a job...now if she said rock star playing for sharks (kiss will be doing that later this year) then i can see how it could have come off as being funny
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:52 pm would crab fishing have been accepted? or too specific?
IMHO it almost has to count. They can't fault you for trying to point it toward deep sea / ocean fishing vs. the recreational counterparts. For all we know, crab fishing by itself it might be the most dangerous occupation.

I couldn't organize an attack on this one in real time. I don't like the "most dangerous" descriptor. When it comes to homicide deaths, I think convenience store clerk was far more dangerous than law enforcement for several years. I'm sure if you go by lost time, there will be a lot of other candidates. How about pro football player?

It was a great clue. It is a bit of a twist to think about drowning on the job. Of course electricians are at risk for sudden death syndrome all the time.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I've heard the fact quoted before that fishing was the most dangerous occupation, so the mention of drowning confirmed my reflexive response.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:54 am
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:52 pm would crab fishing have been accepted? or too specific?
I couldn't organize an attack on this one in real time. I don't like the "most dangerous" descriptor. When it comes to homicide deaths, I think convenience store clerk was far more dangerous than law enforcement for several years. I'm sure if you go by lost time, there will be a lot of other candidates. How about pro football player?

Or soldier.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Clam for me. Mrs Penguin said oil rig worker, which I thought was a decent guess.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:38 am I've heard the fact quoted before that fishing was the most dangerous occupation, so the mention of drowning confirmed my reflexive response.
Ditto for me. Except my initial thought was "lifeguard," but my mind quickly pushed that out due to the remembrance of hearing about the perils of being a fisherman.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

I figured it had to be someone who actually goes out to sea, but couldn't come up with something specific. I thought of lifeguard, but dismissed it.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:13 am Clam for me. Mrs Penguin said oil rig worker, which I thought was a decent guess.
I like it.
davey

Post by davey »

Here's the most recent BLS statistics on workplace fatalities I can find that include a ranking
https://www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfoi/cfch0016.pdf
(see slide 18)

It looks like BLS classifies underwater welding under Commercial Diving and here's a CDC page on that occupation based on BLS statistics 2011-2016
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/programs/cmsh ... iving.html

And here's a table with all occupational fatalities in 2017, including
Commercial divers (5)
Lifeguards, ski patrol, and other recreational protective service workers (3)
Fishers and related fishing workers (41)
https://www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfoi/cftb0317.xlsx

I said "lifeguard" only because it was all I could think of and it was worth a shot at that level. Once Alex said fishing I knew that I had heard that before...
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:11 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:07 pm Well, 'fisherman' but close enough to right.

That's both what I said an my logic, too.
I stayed clam, but I thought of that show as soon as the response was revealed.
--Peter
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

It doesn't fit the clue, but kamikaze pilot is a way more dangerous job.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

Are we talking absolute fatalities, or per 1000 in an occupation? I mean, how many people make a living scuba diving vs. Fishing? I'd guess there are at least 50 fishermen for every commercial diver...but it would only be a guess.

To me, "dangerous" means you have x % of a chance of dying on the job. But in absolute numbers, I guess there were more fishermen killed.

I just don't like the question, I guess. I'll go back to my corner now. :)
Pending...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MollyQMurphy wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:31 am Are we talking absolute fatalities, or per 1000 in an occupation? I mean, how many people make a living scuba diving vs. Fishing? I'd guess there are at least 50 fishermen for every commercial diver...but it would only be a guess.

To me, "dangerous" means you have x % of a chance of dying on the job. But in absolute numbers, I guess there were more fishermen killed.

I just don't like the question, I guess. I'll go back to my corner now. :)
The articles I'm finding about the most dangerous jobs quote fatality rates, not just raw fatality numbers. Fishing is 200 fatalities per 100,000 workers, whereas #2, logging, is 62 per 100,000.
davey

Post by davey »

At the risk of repeating myself, here's a graphic with 2017 data, direct from the BLS-

https://www.bls.gov/charts/census-of-fa ... -rates.htm
It's clearer in the slide show posted above.
There's nothing specifically about drowning in the slides, though presumably it's included under "Exposure to harmful substances or environments"...
There have certainly been better sources for Jeopardy! clues than "a 2019 newspaper report."