LL82: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Woof wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:45 am Belated congrats to Trainman and MinnesotaMyron on their Top 15 finishes in the Chickens 1DS. I was a Tyson Foods away from joining y'all. :(
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RJRouge »

Woof wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:45 am Belated congrats to Trainman and MinnesotaMyron on their Top 15 finishes in the Chickens 1DS. I was a Tyson Foods away from joining y'all. :(
Congrats. I managed 37th, myself.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

alietr wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:15 am
morbeedo wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:43 pm One Day Special - Curses - coming this Saturday. Putting the final touches on my 12 question set. Please come and play!
Mulvaney's on there; too bad Trump isn't. This is right up his alley!
Confused. Why are we talking about those two in relation to my 1DS?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:34 am
morbeedo wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:43 pm One Day Special - Curses - coming this Saturday. Putting the final touches on my 12 question set. Please come and play!
Mick Mulvaney (Trump's Chief of Staff) is a Llama and could therefore potentially be an entrant. But Trump would be better-suited to entering due to his regular uses of curses in the public sphere (let alone in private).
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

alietr wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:12 am
Mick Mulvaney (Trump's Chief of Staff) is a Llama and could therefore potentially be an entrant. But Trump would be better-suited to entering due to his regular uses of curses in the public sphere (let alone in private).
Oh. I knew that about Mick. But my theme isn’t about expletives. I finally got the smith’s note up
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:05 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:12 am
Oh. I knew that about Mick. But my theme isn’t about expletives. I finally got the smith’s note up
You can understand my confusion.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

From the beginning of LL82 to the end, there were some programming changes to reduce the amount of information that was available without logging in. For example, early in LL82 I was able to look at the daily rundle rankings, but I was no longer able to do that by the end.

The biggest recent change is that I can't look at the results of completed 1DS's (though, oddly, the MiniLeague results are still visible). I let my membership run out because I was dissatisfied with the way Thorsten handled several situations. I can understand wanting the message board and stats/standings behind the paywall, but, for some reason I can't articulate, putting questions and answers behind the paywall makes me feel *less* inclined to re-up. Of course, Thorsten has every right to put anything/everything behind the paywall, but I have always (incorrectly, I guess) thought of it as an axiom of LL that you can see the questions and answers if you're willing to wait a day.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:05 pm Oh. I knew that about Mick. But my theme isn’t about expletives. I finally got the smith’s note up
Damn it! I was ***king hoping for a wheelhouse category finally. I wish I'd caught that music one, just because it was so cool. I will fill in a gap near the bottom of this one.

eta - fixed the quote per boss clown order!
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:19 pm
morbeedo wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:05 pm Oh. I knew that about Mick. But my theme isn’t about expletives. I finally got the smith’s note up
Damn it! I was ***king hoping for a wheelhouse category finally. I wish I'd caught that music one, just because it was so cool. I will fill in a gap near the bottom of this one.

eta - fixed the quote per boss clown order!
You know I don’t do lowbrow.

Fix your quote! ETA: good job
Last edited by morbeedo on Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:49 am You know I don’t do lowbrow.

Fix your quote!
done. I may have to go casket-style if I keep butchering these posts :roll: . But I can learn.
[/quote]
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:49 am ETA: good job
Well ....
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Nice one day, morbeedo. Still kicking myself about a couple of my answers.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:16 pm Nice one day, morbeedo. Still kicking myself about a couple of my answers.
Thanks. Can I kick you, too? ;)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:44 pm
Woof wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:16 pm Nice one day, morbeedo. Still kicking myself about a couple of my answers.
Thanks. Can I kick you, too? ;)
Only if you see the sign taped to my back.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:29 pm From the beginning of LL82 to the end, there were some programming changes to reduce the amount of information that was available without logging in. For example, early in LL82 I was able to look at the daily rundle rankings, but I was no longer able to do that by the end.

The biggest recent change is that I can't look at the results of completed 1DS's (though, oddly, the MiniLeague results are still visible). I let my membership run out because I was dissatisfied with the way Thorsten handled several situations. I can understand wanting the message board and stats/standings behind the paywall, but, for some reason I can't articulate, putting questions and answers behind the paywall makes me feel *less* inclined to re-up. Of course, Thorsten has every right to put anything/everything behind the paywall, but I have always (incorrectly, I guess) thought of it as an axiom of LL that you can see the questions and answers if you're willing to wait a day.
I don't really understand where you're coming from here. You don't think the questions themselves are the content that people pay for, to be a member? Sure having an opponent and standings and statistics is also an intrinsic part of Learned League but I think the actual trivia is primarily what it is all about. It used to be free and later pay-what-you-want, but since he set a minimum cost and has increased it a couple of times, it seems reasonable if he wants to make the change that only paying members can see the questions.

It certainly is odd that you can see regular match and ML questions but not 1ds questions. Maybe he's in the process of fully converting everything to be login-only, or maybe the 1ds thing is a glitch, I guess time will tell.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:29 pm From the beginning of LL82 to the end, there were some programming changes to reduce the amount of information that was available without logging in. For example, early in LL82 I was able to look at the daily rundle rankings, but I was no longer able to do that by the end.

If you don’t mind my asking, what situations were you dissatisfied with how he handled them? If you’d rather not say, I understand.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I have yet to win a match in the current ML. At least 3 of those non-wins (1 tie) can be chalked up to shamefully poor defense.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:54 pm If you don’t mind my asking, what situations were you dissatisfied with how he handled them? If you’d rather not say, I understand.
In a fairly short period of time, the following happened:

(1) The question whose answer was "infinetisimal" was edited twice during the match day. I made the mistake of playing the question very early, when there was no correct answer. Math is my best category, and I defended the match as if it was an extremely obscure question. My VHO is that it's reasonable for people using Advance Access occasionally to "beta test" a question, but this should never happen after the match day goes live.

(2) It didn't affect me, but there was a message board post from someone who played Advance Access and actually played one question twice and another not at all. This should never happen.

(3) There was a time when two unrelated minileagues had the answer "Galois" on the same day. Thorsten noticed this but decided to let it go to see what would happen. The result was many people with ethical dilemmas and many others (playing only one of the MLs) who had no way of knowing that their opponent might randomly be receiving correct answers.

I contend that what makes LL unique is defense and moneying. The three examples above render defense nearly meaningless.

(4) There's detailed discussion about the Airplane! 1DS in the LL80 thread. For various reasons, one of the questions had no correct answer. This situation could have been rectified by counting everyone's best four moneys, and jeff6286 indicated that this solution was used in a subsequent 1DS. In real time, I argued that was unfair to essentially take away a money from someone who gave the answer that the smith had in mind and moneyed in good faith, both on the message board and privately to Thorsten. He didn't get back to me in time to register for LL79 (I think it would have been) so I didn't play. I pinged him again and he ultimately replied but dismissed various solutions as worse than the problem. I guess he changed his mind on that.

One of the arguments made to me was "it's just a game and it doesn't really matter". But one of the central tenets of LL is that we're supposed to take it seriously. In 16 seasons, I never forfeited or cheated, but I honestly wanted to quit during LL78. I don't like doing things that are irreversible, so I played out LL80 and LL81 and let my membership expire, making me eligible to re-up if I change my mind. But I still think there's a nonzero chance I'd either get fed up, or (more likely) get to the point when I'd inadvertently forfeit because I just didn't care that much.

You asked. :)
jeff6286 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:54 pm I don't really understand where you're coming from here. You don't think the questions themselves are the content that people pay for, to be a member? Sure having an opponent and standings and statistics is also an intrinsic part of Learned League but I think the actual trivia is primarily what it is all about.
You're absolutely right: it doesn't really make sense. Yet it's how I feel.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Answering "Tuesday Next" instead of "Thursday Next" when spotted a date this week is super-fail. Also, my memory of my time at Barnes and Noble continues to slip away. I do still remember there's 2 F's in Jasper FForde, though.