Wednesday, October 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

clt013 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:00 am
talkingaway wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:27 pm A couple of brain-stalls: The "Legally Blonde" clue just came up in my head as "that movie with the Clueless girl - oh, Alicia SIlverstone - where she had a yippy little dog that was turned into a musical." Give me a minute, and I get to it.
How long until you got to the girl in the movie actually being Reese Witherspoon? :)
I noticed that, but couldn't tell if it was part of the "brain-stall." Good job finding a way to correct it without potentially falling for a joke!
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Today's FJ had me thinking of a possible future FJ with the category THE NBA TALKS ABOUT CHINA and the correct response being shhhhh.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Poll request for "my incorrect response on Wednesday's Geographical Nicknames DD was the Netherlands."

I thought that clue, even acknowledging its bottom-of-the-board placement, was huge neg-bait, and the type of YEKIOYD clue that I don't like to see on a DD. Yes, you could rule out many northern European countries such as the British Isles and the Scandinavian ones; but the Netherlands is well known for its cheese and its dairy industry. Now, it turns out that Wikipedia, as well as some other sources, asssert that the Netherlands isn't generally considered part of northern Europe - which, of course, would potentially eliminate it as a potential correct response for that DD. This doesn't seem at all intuitive to me, given where the Netherlands is when you're looking at a map of Europe (to say nothing of the fact that it borders on the North Sea). Any definitions like "northern Europe" and "southern Europe" are IMO inherently arbitrary (since they're not based on any kind of official subdivisions of the continent); and I wouldn't expect most J! contestants, even ones strong in geography, to think, "The Netherlands isn't a northern European country so it must be Denmark." Plus, a geographical nickname wouldn't necessarily have derived from such an arbitrary definition of regions.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

FJ! was an instaget for me. Age likely has something to do with that. Famous people, places, and events are always a bit easier when you lived through them. My main concern was spelling. I decided to stick with simply Mao, as that is his surname/family name, which is typically sufficient (unless you need to BMS). I would have attempted the Tse Tung spelling rather than the more modern Zedong given by Jackie. Another symptom of age, I suppose.

I also have a minor nit to pick with Jackie's wager. She needed to put that last dollar in. Had Ed wagered the exact minimum needed to cover an all-in wager by John, that would leave him with 7999 on a miss. Her wager risked a tie when an outright win was possible.
--Peter
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:52 am Poll request for "my incorrect response on Wednesday's Geographical Nicknames DD was the Netherlands."

I thought that clue, even acknowledging its bottom-of-the-board placement, was huge neg-bait, and the type of YEKIOYD clue that I don't like to see on a DD.
I'm a cheese nerd, not a geography nerd, and I said Holland/Netherlands pretty confidently. How miffed I was to learn my response was no Gouda!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

squarekara wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:08 am How miffed I was to learn my response was no Gouda!
If you pronounce it how it's actually pronounced, then that joke doesn't work -- no Gouda, no wayda. :)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:08 am
clt013 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:00 am
talkingaway wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:27 pm A couple of brain-stalls: The "Legally Blonde" clue just came up in my head as "that movie with the Clueless girl - oh, Alicia SIlverstone - where she had a yippy little dog that was turned into a musical." Give me a minute, and I get to it.
How long until you got to the girl in the movie actually being Reese Witherspoon? :)
I noticed that, but couldn't tell if it was part of the "brain-stall." Good job finding a way to correct it without potentially falling for a joke!
Nope, wasn't the brain-stall...saw Legally Blonde way back when it came out, and haven't really thought about it since, except for seeing it on the Tonys a few years ago. Of course, if I thought of the one thing that ties the two together in my mind - being blonde! - I could have hit the title.
Peter the accountant wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:00 am FJ! was an instaget for me. Age likely has something to do with that. Famous people, places, and events are always a bit easier when you lived through them. My main concern was spelling. I decided to stick with simply Mao, as that is his surname/family name, which is typically sufficient (unless you need to BMS). I would have attempted the Tse Tung spelling rather than the more modern Zedong given by Jackie. Another symptom of age, I suppose.

I also have a minor nit to pick with Jackie's wager. She needed to put that last dollar in. Had Ed wagered the exact minimum needed to cover an all-in wager by John, that would leave him with 7999 on a miss. Her wager risked a tie when an outright win was possible.
I just wrote plain "Mao", too, to be safe. I think they would have accepted "Mao say tongue", given that spelling phonetically is generally accepted. I assume "Mao tse-dong" would be wrong if a clue were phrased so it required the full name? I don't know - I'm not a Chinese linguist, but when I hear the name out loud said quickly, the "tung" sounds a little bit like "dong". But it would be like calling Wolverine "Hugh Jackson", which would definitely be wrong.
davey

Post by davey »

I see no reason Mao tse dong wouldn't be accepted. It matters how that's pronounced/understood by English speakers, not in Chinese.
I wrote Mao Tse-tung, and was mildly startled when I saw Mao Zedong, almost like I hadn't seen it before. After all it's only been used in the West for...40 years or so... :roll: As someone else wrote, a function of being old, I suppose.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

econgator wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:02 pm
squarekara wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:08 am How miffed I was to learn my response was no Gouda!
If you pronounce it how it's actually pronounced, then that joke doesn't work -- no Gouda, no wayda. :)
Edamn.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I got FJ right, though with a couple of seconds in consideration of Hirohito, but I was pretty sure I could remember when he died so I went back to Mao.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I also said the Netherlands for the DD, but the butter side of the equation wasn’t clicking for me. After the reveal, I remembered the supermarket brand Lurpak. As far as cheese goes, I can think of havarti and that’s about it

Went with the singer on lilac. Flowers are not a strong suit for me
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Can someone post the text of the cheese clue since we're discussing it? I went with Denmark, but it took a little thought.
clprez

Post by clprez »

For FJ! I said Chiang Kai-shek because I remembered that he moved to Taiwan in 1949. Oh well.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

alietr wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:04 pm Can someone post the text of the cheese clue since we're discussing it? I went with Denmark, but it took a little thought.
GEOGRAPHICAL NICKNAMES $2000
This country that’s famous for its cheese and butter is known as “the dairy of Northern Europe.”
davey

Post by davey »

clprez wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:07 pm For FJ! I said Chiang Kai-shek because I remembered that he moved to Taiwan in 1949. Oh well.
Fled is more like it...
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:54 pm I also said the Netherlands for the DD, but the butter side of the equation wasn’t clicking for me. After the reveal, I remembered the supermarket brand Lurpak. As far as cheese goes, I can think of havarti and that’s about it

Went with the singer on lilac. Flowers are not a strong suit for me
i said netherlands as well
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:19 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:04 pm Can someone post the text of the cheese clue since we're discussing it? I went with Denmark, but it took a little thought.
This country that’s famous for its cheese and butter is known as “the dairy of Northern Europe.”
I wouldn't exactly call it negbait for Holland, but 'Northern Europe' steered me away from there enough to say Denmark. I'd say it was a fair question given the dollar value.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:39 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:19 pm
I wouldn't exactly call it negbait for Holland, but 'Northern Europe' steered me away from there enough to say Denmark. I'd say it was a fair question given the dollar value.
I also said Netherlands. On the one hand you have Edam and Gouda; on the other, you have Havarti. I can't say that I have any experience seeing butter from either country. For that matter, one has to decide that France isn't in N Europe or it would be an obvious choice.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

"Northern Europe" made me think "Scandanavia + Finland," so Denmark was a natural response to me, but I did have some "but the Dutch have Edam and Gouda, and the Netherlands certainly isn't southern" misgivings.

edit: I wonder if subconsciously, my awareness of Danish butter cookies tipped my scales favorably!
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

davey wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:48 pm I see no reason Mao tse dong wouldn't be accepted. It matters how that's pronounced/understood by English speakers, not in Chinese.
I wrote Mao Tse-tung, and was mildly startled when I saw Mao Zedong, almost like I hadn't seen it before. After all it's only been used in the West for...40 years or so... :roll: As someone else wrote, a function of being old, I suppose.
Has it been 40 years since we in the west changed Peking to Beijing? Feels like about 20 to me. Then again, I'm in complete denial about my actual age. I think this calendar is running fast again. Need to get that fixed. ;) :lol:
--Peter