FJs for the 10/14/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 10/14/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:50 pm

Fittingly, the symbols for the 4 elements in sodium citrate, which can make cheese melt easier, spell this 5-letter food
85%
In her only kids' book, she says, "There was Rose. Rose was her name & would she have been Rose if her name had not been Rose"
39%
This man who ruled from 1949 to 1976 was sometimes called "the Red Sun"
80%
The soundtrack of this 2018 film has "Material Girl" & "Money (That's What I Want)" in Chinese & English
83%
This African nation left the British Commonwealth in 2003 over sanctions on its undemocratic government; in 2018 it applied to rejoin  
48%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
14%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
LOVE SONGS $2000: The melody for this Elvis hit was borrowed from a Civil War tune called "Aura Lee"
48%
MINNESOTA...NICE $1000: The temperature falls in Minnesota, especially in these "Falls" that claim the title "Icebox of the Nation"
51%
THE NONFICTION BOOK'S SUBTITLE $600: About Louis Zamperini: "A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption"
40%
For the Tuesday FJ! clue I got to the "Rose is a rose..." quote though did not know the writer's name.
21%
GEOGRAPHICAL NICKNAMES (Daily Double): This country that's famous for its cheese & butter is nicknamed "the Dairy of Northern Europe" - My incorrect guess was the Netherlands.
41%
SPEAK SOFTLY $600: These 6-letter "tones" are used when speaking softly & reverently - I had "dulcet" for my response.
34%
SPEAK SOFTLY $600: These 6-letter "tones" are used when speaking softly & reverently - I had "hushed" for my response.  
41%
& SOMETIMES Y - By the time players got to the category I was too confused to figure out, "east & yeast" for the $400 clue.
25%
I have read and/or seen Crazy Rich Asians.
28%

Total votes: 103

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 10/14/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

10/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHEMICAL SYMBOL WORDPLAY

10/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Fittingly, the symbols for the 4 elements in sodium citrate, which can make cheese melt easier, spell this 5-letter food

10/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY AMERICAN WOMEN

10/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In her only kids' book, she says, "There was Rose. Rose was her name & would she have been Rose if her name had not been Rose"

10/16 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD LEADERS

10/16 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This man who ruled from 1949 to 1976 was sometimes called "the Red Sun"

10/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MOVIE SOUNDTRACKS

10/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The soundtrack of this 2018 film has "Material Girl" & "Money (That's What I Want)" in Chinese & English

10/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE POSTCOLONIAL WORLD

10/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This African nation left the British Commonwealth in 2003 over sanctions on its undemocratic government; in 2018 it applied to rejoin

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
nacho
Gertrude Stein
Mao Zedong (Mao)
Crazy Rich Asians
Zimbabwe
The players were 8/15 (53.33%) with a 2-1-2-3-0 success pattern.

The extra clues have two correct by the players followed by one rebounded correctly.

LOVE SONGS $2000: The melody for this Elvis hit was borrowed from a Civil War tune called "Aura Lee"

MINNESOTA...NICE $1000: The temperature falls in Minnesota, especially in these "Falls" that claim the title "Icebox of the Nation"

THE NONFICTION BOOK'S SUBTITLE $600: About Louis Zamperini: "A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
"Love Me Tender"
International Falls
Unbroken
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 10/14/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Blurted "Frostbite Falls" (thanks Bullwinkle) and knew I blew it.
Guessed Netherlands for the DD.
Hushed
Did not get the & SOMETIMES Y category at first as Alex's explanation was too long ago to remember by the time the category played.
Never read/seen CRA
Nigeria
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :x
:( :mrgreen: :(
correctly answered Denmark, does not apply
East and yeast, no problem.
Last edited by DBear on Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I was a little embarrassed to miss the Elvis clue, as I was just at Graceland last weekend (although, to be fair, that tidbit about "Love Me Tender" wasn't mentioned at any of the museums I visited at the complex). Once the response was revealed, it did feel like I'd heard of the "Aura Lee" connection before.

Responded with "the Netherlands" on the Geographical Nicknames DD.

Dulcet tones.

I was one of the confused folks initially in the "sometimes Y" category.

I've seen the film Crazy Rich Asians, but haven't read the book.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(

Norway for the country, thinking of Jarlsberg.

I got east/yeast...and it was the only one of the five I did get. :roll:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The only "Falls" cities I could think of were Great Falls and Sioux Falls, and I knew neither of those was in Minnesota.

I got "hushed"; dulcet ain't right.

I blurted out "yeast" just before time was up, but I won't count that. My main problem was I was trying to attach Y to the ends of the cardinal directions.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Mental block on International Falls

Saw the Crazy Rich Asians movie
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :( :(

Had nothing for any of the misses. Friday I was so focused on "No, it's not South Africa" that I couldn't guess another country.
Couldn't make anything of Tuesday's clue.
Correctly WAG'ed Denmark.
Had "hushed."
East/yeast was my only get in that category.
Neither seen nor read Crazy Rich Asians. Still should have worked it out. I'm blaming being sick.
Last edited by Plactus on Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:30 pm The only "Falls" cities I could think of were Great Falls and Sioux Falls, and I knew neither of those was in Minnesota.
Better than me, all I had was Gravity Falls.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Fri was frustrating...
Blanked on the Falls, and remembered the book as Invincible...(And really, couldn't it have been?)
Netherlands as a guess and I didn't grok the y category...I said "hushed" and that's better, but I think dulcet squeaks by...
Have not seen CRA, but it's currently on HBO a thousand times a week, so I'll get to it...
Last edited by davey on Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Volante wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:42 pm Better than me, all I had was Gravity Falls.
Gravity Falls was in Oregon.
Douglas Squasoni
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :? :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

The way people were talking about how Thursday's FJ was easier than finding one's own backside, I was sure it was going to poll over 90%. :roll: I'm relieved I'm not the only one who had no idea on it...

Many hours of watching The Weather Channel as a kid paid off with International Falls... it got highlighted frequently for having the coldest temperature of the day in the Lower 48.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Box of Shame for me... I seem to be in a deep slump...

Oh, and Frostbite Falls entered my head, then vacated the premises when I thought of International Falls.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I whiffed Tuesday by conflating "A rose is a rose" and "A rose by any other name". No hope rest of the week.

Dulcet for the hushed clue.

I figured out east/yeast and was not confused.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

:?: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I was spoiled for Monday's final, but I don't see how I would have missed it.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I rolled with the tide for FJ! this week: If the majority got it right, so did I. If the majority got it wrong, so did I. Perhaps a reminder of an important wagering lesson: your probability of getting a FJ! question right is highly correlated to your opponents' probability of getting it right. We're not independent coin flips.

I vividly remember playing "Aura Lee" during the brief time we did bell choir in 4th or 5th grade, mainly because my teacher made the obvious and awful mom-joke that we were performing it on bells, so we weren't performing it...orally.

Didn't click during the show, but I was going through my list of "recent Oscar movies I still haven't seen" within the last month or so, and Unbroken was checked off. Visited the wiki page just to refresh my memory that I had seen it...still a little fuzzy, but I remembered going to the theater to see it in the theater when it came out. Absolutely no way would I have gotten it from the clue, though, unless I had actually not skimmed the wiki page that included the subtitle of the book.

NHO International Falls. Geography is my largest Achilles heel.

And I'm the one who didn't get the wordplay in "& SOMETIMES Y" until the example was given. Pretty sure I would have been puzzled even if it had been the first clue revealed, as I was expecting clues leading to a two word phrase like "Roman Holiday", not two words related typographically. I thought it was an odd category the way Alex described it - if I'd spent a little more time decoding that he said "two WORDS", and not "a two word phrase", maybe I would have picked up on it. The way the category actually was played made a lot more sense. I got the third and fourth clue, and I might have gotten the fifth if they had used "sport related to ice hockey" instead of "a verb meaning to exchange words".