FJs for the 10/21/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 10/21/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:50 pm

Named for the ore once mined there, this city at an altitude of 10,152 feet is home to the National Mining Hall of Fame & Museum
28%
With more than 30 Top 10 albums since 1963, this singer-actress ranks No. 1 among the Billboard 200's Greatest Women Artists of All Time
58%
Prior to a murder in a 1934 book, he says he hasn't been a detective since 1927 & that his wife inherited a lumber mill
22%
This modern regime that lasted 4 years changed the national motto to "Travail, Famille, Patrie"--"Work, Family, Fatherland"
67%
In 2018 Parliament Square got its first statue of a woman, Millicent Fawcett, a founding member of the London Society for Women's this  
91%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
8%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
5%
THE GENDER-FREE OPTION $600: You can use this 6-letter term rather than Latina or Latino
68%
GOVERNMENT ABCs $800: It was established in 1934, 5 years after the big stock market crash: SEC
93%
SHAKE HANDS WITH SHAKESPEARE $1600 box DD: "Take me by the hand, and say 'Harry of England, I am thine'" is how this title king proposes to Katherine
37%
I guessed the wrong place in Colorado for the Monday FJ! clue.
37%
Cher was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
14%
Aretha Franklin was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
4%
Sam Spade was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
30%
At least one of Leadville, Nick Charles or Vichy was a name unfamiliar to me prior to them showing up in the relevant FJ! round.
47%
(Requested) I have attended a NFL Pro Bowl game in person.
1%

Total votes: 116

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 10/21/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

10/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. CITIES

10/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Named for the ore once mined there, this city at an altitude of 10,152 feet is home to the National Mining Hall of Fame & Museum

10/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FEMALE MUSIC SUPERSTARS

10/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
With more than 30 Top 10 albums since 1963, this singer-actress ranks No. 1 among the Billboard 200's Greatest Women Artists of All Time

10/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1930s NOVEL CHARACTERS

10/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Prior to a murder in a 1934 book, he says he hasn't been a detective since 1927 & that his wife inherited a lumber mill

10/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE HISTORY OF FRANCE

10/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This modern regime that lasted 4 years changed the national motto to "Travail, Famille, Patrie"--"Work, Family, Fatherland"

10/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH HISTORY

10/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2018 Parliament Square got its first statue of a woman, Millicent Fawcett, a founding member of the London Society for Women's this

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Leadville
Barbra Streisand
Nick Charles
Vichy France
Suffrage
The players were 4/15 (26.67%) with a 0-1-0-0-3 success pattern.

The extra clues have a correct clue requested, a correct clue and a requested missed Daily Double.

THE GENDER-FREE OPTION $600: You can use this 6-letter term rather than Latina or Latino

GOVERNMENT ABCs $800: It was established in 1934, 5 years after the big stock market crash: SEC

SHAKE HANDS WITH SHAKESPEARE $1600 box DD: "Take me by the hand, and say 'Harry of England, I am thine'" is how this title king proposes to Katherine

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Latinx
Securities and Exchange Commission
Henry V
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 10/21/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No clue on Latinx

Sam Spade

4th Republic

All FJ! correct responses familiar to me.  I did not include Streisand or suffrage because anyone not familiar with either or both of those would already be checking the box due to the other choices.

Only TV for seeing Pro Bowl.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Spade
I guess I've heard of Leadville before, but I don't remember it.
You couldn't pay me to go to a Pro Bowl game.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Monday - Boulder
Tuesday - Dolly Parton
Wednesday - Sam Spade

:mrgreen: :( :(

Went with Security, not Securities, and stayed clam on the third one.

Leadville and Nick Charles were both unfamiliar.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Diana Ross and Sam Spade

Heard of Latinx but wasn’t going to come up with it.

Have heard of all three answers listed

Never been to a Pro Bowl
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

Wrong Colorado city, but since I'd never heard of the right one, it wasn't as heartbreaking as it sounds.
Anticipated Streisand and the clue left no doubt. I thought Wednesday's and Thursday's clues especially good ones.
Was spoiled on Shakespeare. Might have guessed right but also maybe not.

NHO latinx. As for the Pro Bowl, I've sneaked into every one so far, and I'm usually in the group carrying the winning coach off the field. You don't know me only because no one's taken my picture yet.
I'm smart and I want respect.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

I WAGed "Silver City" for Monday, which turns out by sheer coincidence to be a former name of Leadville. Do I get to check the Monday box?
davey

Post by davey »

:( :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops:

I precalled Streisand and Vichy - but then, I precalled Nick and Nora Charles too but I still managed to miss that one...
I also knew Henry V, but at the last second I lost confidence and switched...for the reasons Henry VIII was shown in the daily thread to be not such a terrible guess. For the record, I've seen productions of both plays... :roll:
I've heard of Leadville and every person in this poll except Millicent Fawcett... ;)
davey

Post by davey »

mas3cf wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:45 pm I WAGed "Silver City" for Monday, which turns out by sheer coincidence to be a former name of Leadville. Do I get to check the Monday box?
This article says it was only a nickname-
https://www.americanheritage.com/silver-city
If you can find a good source that says otherwise, and can show that the National Mining Hall of Fame and Museum was founded before the town changed its name, I'll give it to you... ;)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :(

Not my week. Leadville, Vichy, and Nick Charles were all unfamiliar to me.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:? :? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Golden, CO and Cher on Monday and Tuesday.

Had heard of Leadville in a 1989 news article I linked to on this board in April, so I can't really say it was unfamiliar to me, but that place name couldn't be summoned from my memory banks on Monday.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mon - (blank) ran out of time before I landed on anything I felt comfortable putting down
Wed - Nick Charles at the 35th second... :(

Henry VIII

Leadville wasn't unfamiliar to me, but I hesitate to say it was familiar either, I'd say a ...25% chance of getting it if the clue said 'metal' and not 'ore.'

Strangely, the Pro Bowl is probably the only NFL game I could see myself going to in person...the crowds at games that matter scare me.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:19 pm :( :( :( :( :(

Not my week. Leadville, Vichy, and Nick Charles were all unfamiliar to me.
friday's final jeopardy clue is currently polling at 96 percent
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:50 pm friday's final jeopardy clue is currently polling at 96 percent
So? Not the only time I've been the only spoiler on an FJ! that would be 100% otherwise. I still remember being literally the only person to miss this one.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I knew of Leadville from the 1986 J! game where Dan Green eked out a fourth win (and a ticket to the ToC) by correctly guessing that Leadville's distinction was being the highest city in the USA. (He had around $400, and the other two players were tied around $2,500; everyone bet it all and only he got it right.) But I guessed Telluride.

On Wednesday I named the first male mystery solver I thought might have appeared in a 1930s novel: Hercule Poirot.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:x :vomit: :? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Answered Telluride
NHO Nick Charles
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :?:

Bauxite to say something (never heard of Leadville), Poirot (the name Nick Charles is somewhat familiar, but I would have never thought of him).
I was still working which Henry to guess when the contestant said Henry VIII. I probably would have eventually said Henry V, but I'm counting it as not in time.

I don't know that I've ever even watched a Pro Bowl on TV.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Monday, said Telluride - I’ve skied there and thought I vaguely remembered some kind of mining museum, but also knew that the town was at about 8700 ft elevation, and even the airport (which at one time was the highest commercial airport in the US) is only slightly over 9000 ft elevation. But I didn’t have anything better. I have been to Leadville, but it was a long time ago and that name didn’t surface in my brain.

Tuesday, it was a tossup between Diana Ross and Dolly Parton - Barbra never entered my mind, as my opinion of her singing is similar to what Dave Van Ronk said about Joan Baez. Movie-wise, I do absolutely love What’s Up, Doc?, but that’s really Madeline Kahn’s and Ryan O’Neal’s movie, not Babs’.

Wednesday, was also undone by personal distaste - hate hate hate The Thin Man, it’s Hammett’s worst book by orders of magnitude; knew 100% the answer wasn’t Sam Spade but that’s what I put down just to have something.

Instagets on Thursday and Friday. Still the worst FJ week for me in a long time.