FJs for the 10/21/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 10/21/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:50 pm

Named for the ore once mined there, this city at an altitude of 10,152 feet is home to the National Mining Hall of Fame & Museum
28%
With more than 30 Top 10 albums since 1963, this singer-actress ranks No. 1 among the Billboard 200's Greatest Women Artists of All Time
58%
Prior to a murder in a 1934 book, he says he hasn't been a detective since 1927 & that his wife inherited a lumber mill
22%
This modern regime that lasted 4 years changed the national motto to "Travail, Famille, Patrie"--"Work, Family, Fatherland"
67%
In 2018 Parliament Square got its first statue of a woman, Millicent Fawcett, a founding member of the London Society for Women's this  
91%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
8%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
5%
THE GENDER-FREE OPTION $600: You can use this 6-letter term rather than Latina or Latino
68%
GOVERNMENT ABCs $800: It was established in 1934, 5 years after the big stock market crash: SEC
93%
SHAKE HANDS WITH SHAKESPEARE $1600 box DD: "Take me by the hand, and say 'Harry of England, I am thine'" is how this title king proposes to Katherine
37%
I guessed the wrong place in Colorado for the Monday FJ! clue.
37%
Cher was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
14%
Aretha Franklin was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
4%
Sam Spade was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
30%
At least one of Leadville, Nick Charles or Vichy was a name unfamiliar to me prior to them showing up in the relevant FJ! round.
47%
(Requested) I have attended a NFL Pro Bowl game in person.
1%

Total votes: 116

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 10/21/19 week

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:47 pm
Lefty wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:34 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:20 pm
alietr wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:08 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:48 am

I'm presuming it's supposed to be pronounced "Latin-x" but I'm sort of a fan of "la-tinks."
I don't think I'd ever heard pronounced before, so I always read it to myself as "lat-inks".
Merriam-Webster says \luh-TEE-neks\.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... ory-latinx
I suppose this makes sense.
How was it pronounced on the show? I remember years ago a clue asked for INXS, and Alex rejected the contestant's three-syllable answer, having expected a single one. Quickly overruled, of course.
Latin-Ex was how Ryan said it with Alex only acknowledging the correct response.
FWIW, I pronounce it "his - span - ick" . Why does this term exist? Am I using a racially charged term? I'm not ready to Make America Hate Again.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:29 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:47 pm
Lefty wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:34 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:20 pm
alietr wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:08 pm

I don't think I'd ever heard pronounced before, so I always read it to myself as "lat-inks".
Merriam-Webster says \luh-TEE-neks\.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... ory-latinx
I suppose this makes sense.
How was it pronounced on the show? I remember years ago a clue asked for INXS, and Alex rejected the contestant's three-syllable answer, having expected a single one. Quickly overruled, of course.
Latin-Ex was how Ryan said it with Alex only acknowledging the correct response.
FWIW, I pronounce it "his - span - ick" . Why does this term (LatinX) exist? Isn't the H-word gender neutral? Am I using a racially charged term? I'm not ready to Make America Hate Again.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:29 pm FWIW, I pronounce it "his - span - ick" . Why does this term exist? Am I using a racially charged term? I'm not ready to Make America Hate Again.
Hispanic refers to Spanish speaking peoples, Latinx refers to people from Latin America.
The former includes Spain and not Brazil, the latter, the reverse
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

alietr wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:24 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:01 am The other must-read Chandler/Marlowe novel is The Long Goodbye. But if you end up watching and liking the film version with Elliott Gould, it will be for entirely unrelated reasons.
We just watched that a week or two ago ... it was definitely not what I expected, and was one weird movie. I was surprised it got as high a rating as it did. I can't say that it was my idea of how a noir film should be. Nor my cup of tea.
The movie to which you are referring was directed by Robert Altman, and he completely butchered Chandler’s brilliant novel, especially the ending. Hate hate hate that movie. Agree with Opus that there really haven’t been any really good movies of Chandler’s novels; I have to say that Mitchum’s second try at Marlowe, an oddball 1978 version of The Big Sleep, is actually my favorite movie take on Chandler, but I’m in a minority I suspect :shock: and I don’t really consider it good, more like a moderately interesting failure. It’s hard to beat John Huston’s movie version of The Maltese Falcon for filmed Hammett or Chandler though.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

xabe wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:22 am Has anyone ever done a meta-analysis of these poll results? It would be interesting to see if the FJs have a tendency to get more difficult as the ToC approaches.
The upcoming ToC will be the sixth one held since this message board was created. Looking at the poll results for the four weeks before each tournament, the average get rate was 62.1%. The overall average for regular FJs in JBoard history is 62.9%.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

econgator wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:55 pm You couldn't pay me to go to a Pro Bowl game.
You could pay me to go to a Pro Bowl game. But the payment would need to be sufficient, and I'd reserve the right to leave before the game was completed. Long before it was completed.
--Peter
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

econgator wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:55 pm :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Spade
I guess I've heard of Leadville before, but I don't remember it.
You couldn't pay me to go to a Pro Bowl game.
why? easy money...don't even need to watch it...can do other things on your phone or computer while the game is going on