Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Plactus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Plactus »

Volante wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:42 pm And Salt Lake City is negbait? Isn't the major/flagship university being in the capital the exception, not the rule? Madison, Austin...maybe three more?
Off the top of my head, Salt Lake City (University of Utah, not the private BYU), Lincoln, and if you count them, Columbus (Ohio State), Tallahassee (Florida State), and Baton Rouge (Louisiana State).
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:59 pm Lost all my money on ^*%(@*# Butte, Montana. Man, I hate this country ;)
I lost all my money on the "fire and brimstone" DD. :(
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:43 pm I was floored by Fayetteville, Arkansas being the "Athens of the Ozarks", or whatever. That was a waste of TOM - they should've just said "Suburb of Wal-Mart" (HQ is in Bentonville, but all of Northwest Arkansas is the U of A or Wal-Mart related). I would take the under at 12% of residents ever heard that nickname.

Why should a College Towns category just ask for the capital of the State? Might as well just call it State Capitals.

The flamingo clue was a joke. You gotta stand in hip waders to finally ask for Beta-carotene?

No chance for me on FJ. Geography is a wheelhole category for me. I actually gridlocked trying to remember the old name of Mumbai because I felt it had a more Anglo name. I knew I couldn't wend through the African colonies.

Steve keeps rolling, he's been tested quite a bit.
i had never heard that before either and i lived there for 2.5 years while getting my master's degree...the only nickname i remember hearing was "fayettenam"
Last edited by CasketRomance on Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:43 pm I was floored by Fayetteville, Arkansas being the "Athens of the Ozarks", or whatever. That was a waste of TOM - they should've just said "Suburb of Wal-Mart" (HQ is in Bentonville, but all of Northwest Arkansas is the U of A or Wal-Mart related). I would take the under at 12% of residents ever heard that nickname.

Why should a College Towns category just ask for the capital of the State? Might as well just call it State Capitals.

The flamingo clue was a joke. You gotta stand in hip waders to finally ask for Beta-carotene?

No chance for me on FJ. Geography is a wheelhole category for me. I actually gridlocked trying to remember the old name of Mumbai because I felt it had a more Anglo name. I knew I couldn't wend through the African colonies.

Steve keeps rolling, he's been tested quite a bit.
just did a search and i have found some results saying that it is no longer called "athens of the ozarks", and says it used to be called that...jeopardy might have a bad clue on their hands as the clue suggests "athens of the ozarks" is still a nickname
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 42,400
52 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: butterfly, Provo, Ithaca (DD), curiosity, emotional, Fayetteville, beta carotene, range, health problems/disease, Under the Volcano

Would have never gotten Under the Volcano if not for my study cards. I don't think I had ever heard of the book a month ago. OTOH, zaftig was brand-new to me today, and I could not pull dugong for the life of me.
davey wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:34 pm Phineas Quimby, who influenced Mary Baker Eddy, is best known for his theory that this type of problem is all in the mind
How do folks feel about "medical" for this? I don't think the exact concept is very well pinned, which may be a reason nobody responded...
Anything medically-related should be fine for that clue.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:11 pm College Towns for $600 was MASSIVE HONKING NEGBAIT for Salt Lake City. I couldn't shift gears after being completely floored by that.
This is just...no. There is no reason whatsoever to assume that the correct response to a middle-row clue in College Towns should necessarily be the state's capital/largest city.
Sprinkles are for winners.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:47 am Coryat: 42,400
52 R/0 W
LT: butterfly, Provo, Ithaca (DD), curiosity, emotional, Fayetteville, beta carotene, range, health problems/disease, Under the Volcano

Would have never gotten Under the Volcano if not for my study cards. I don't think I had ever heard of the book a month ago. OTOH, zaftig was brand-new to me today, and I could not pull dugong for the life of me.
davey wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:34 pm Phineas Quimby, who influenced Mary Baker Eddy, is best known for his theory that this type of problem is all in the mind
How do folks feel about "medical" for this? I don't think the exact concept is very well pinned, which may be a reason nobody responded...
Anything medically-related should be fine for that clue.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:11 pm College Towns for $600 was MASSIVE HONKING NEGBAIT for Salt Lake City. I couldn't shift gears after being completely floored by that.
This is just...no. There is no reason whatsoever to assume that the correct response to a middle-row clue in College Towns should necessarily be the state's capital/largest city.

totally agree...and i don't think capitals/big cities should even be included in a category called "college towns"...college town, to me anyway, suggests that college/university is the predominant entity in that given location, whereas it would obviously not be the case for the larger cities and state capitals
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Volante wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:42 pm
And Salt Lake City is negbait? Isn't the major/flagship university being in the capital the exception, not the rule? Madison, Austin...maybe three more?
Agreed. Either you know BYU is in Provo or you don't, it was straightforward. The negbait version would be:

BYU has a campus in this city on the shores of a lake in Utah.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I first learned "zaftig" from Margaret Cho of all people.

The Provo clue was negbait for Salt Lake City as much as the Fayetteville clue was negbait for Little Rock (i.e. not).
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I missed the show. How did they pronounce “coup de grace”? :D
davey

Post by davey »

Woppy T wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:38 am I missed the show. How did they pronounce “coup de grace”? :D
Correctly.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Plactus wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:50 am
Volante wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:42 pm And Salt Lake City is negbait? Isn't the major/flagship university being in the capital the exception, not the rule? Madison, Austin...maybe three more?
Off the top of my head, Salt Lake City (University of Utah, not the private BYU), Lincoln, and if you count them, Columbus (Ohio State), Tallahassee (Florida State), and Baton Rouge (Louisiana State).
I was going to add Georgia State (and Georgia Tech for that matter) being in Atlanta. But looking it up, I see that the capital of Georgia is Tbilisi. Huh. I've been getting that wrong for years.

EDIT: And working the question the other way, how many state capitals are really thought of as distinctively college towns more than as, you know, the seat of government and whatnot? Boston is the only one that comes to mind.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Columbia, maybe? Or Madison?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:34 am EDIT: And working the question the other way, how many state capitals are really thought of as distinctively college towns more than as, you know, the seat of government and whatnot? Boston is the only one that comes to mind.
Tallahassee definitely is thought of more as a college town.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Columbus was the first that came to mind for me.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I spent too much time running through the Caribbean to get this one. I suspect when J! talks about British colonies, the Caribbean is the last place you should look, not the first.

I has been nice to see good FJ wagering the last two games. There had been an awful lot of bad wagering over the previous couple of weeks.

Dugong really annoyed me. For some reason I got hung up on the word duodenum, which I knew was wrong. I even paused the DVR to give myself extra time to think.
--Peter
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
LT: Butterfly, Provo, (Ithaca), Curiosity, Emotional, Fayetteville, Denis Lehane, Beta Carotene, Range, Illness, Under the Volcano, Dugong, Andromeda
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:59 pm Got to Oceania (and finally, to Wellington) at about the 1:57 mark :oops:
Know your Archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4726
Douglas Squasoni
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Peter the accountant wrote: I has been nice to see good FJ wagering the last two games. There had been an awful lot of bad wagering over the previous couple of weeks.
In said games, two out of the six wagers were glaringly bad. Not exactly a B average.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

theFJguy wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:03 am FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD CAPITALS
Dave Bein: 15800-15793=3
Pls check your math.
OCSam
theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

OrangeSAM wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:20 pm
theFJguy wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:03 am FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD CAPITALS
Dave Bein: 15800-15793=3
Pls check your math.
Fixed, thanks.