The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Ironhorse wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:40 pm Anybody who complains about Franz Ferdinand being too obscure doesn't need to be taking up another contestant's spot.
Unless it's the BAND Franz Ferdinand. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

I could have taken 400 guesses on Thinkers for $400 and never gotten to "illness". What even was the TOM there? Even more, I got the next three with ease.

No guess on FJ! Didn't realize NZ had anything to do with Britain. Doesn't help that no matter how many times I beat "Wellington" into my brain, I still think that Auckland is the capital of NZ. It just sounds like it should be a capital, dammit!
Mary Baker Eddy was the founder of the Christian Science movement, and that's the main conceit of that belief - that sickness is an illusion that can be corrected through prayer.

The flag of New Zealand literally has the flag of the UK in the top corner. Pro tip: if the country speaks English as one of its official languages, it was probably a colony of the UK at some point.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:20 pm Mary Baker Eddy was the founder of the Christian Science movement, and that's the main conceit of that belief - that sickness is an illusion that can be corrected through prayer.
Considering how often the Mary Baker Eddy = Christian Science Pavlov goes over the contestants' heads, I think that expecting knowledge of Christian Science's beliefs is a bit much for the top box.

Only reason I know Eddy = Christian Science is because I have a Christian Scientist hymnal that has her name all over it.
teapot37 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:20 pm The flag of New Zealand literally has the flag of the UK in the top corner. Pro tip: if the country speaks English as one of its official languages, it was probably a colony of the UK at some point.
This assumes that I've seen NZ's flag before. Even if I had gotten to NZ, I wouldn't have gotten to Wellington because again, no matter how many times I pound it into my head, I STILL think that Auckland is the capital of NZ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:35 pm This assumes that I've seen NZ's flag before. Even if I had gotten to NZ, I wouldn't have gotten to Wellington because again, no matter how many times I pound it into my head, I STILL think that Auckland is the capital of NZ.
Have you seen Australia's flag before? If yes, then you've seen the flag of NZ.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:35 pm
teapot37 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:20 pm Mary Baker Eddy was the founder of the Christian Science movement, and that's the main conceit of that belief - that sickness is an illusion that can be corrected through prayer.
Considering how often the Mary Baker Eddy = Christian Science Pavlov goes over the contestants' heads, I think that expecting knowledge of Christian Science's beliefs is a bit much for the top box.

Only reason I know Eddy = Christian Science is because I have a Christian Scientist hymnal that has her name all over it.
teapot37 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:20 pm The flag of New Zealand literally has the flag of the UK in the top corner. Pro tip: if the country speaks English as one of its official languages, it was probably a colony of the UK at some point.
This assumes that I've seen NZ's flag before. Even if I had gotten to NZ, I wouldn't have gotten to Wellington because again, no matter how many times I pound it into my head, I STILL think that Auckland is the capital of NZ.
okay...let's take the flag out of play...i am sure you were aware that english is widely spoken in new zealand...so as the poster mentioned, it is obvious that it had a connection to the british
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

okay...let's take the flag out of play...i am sure you were aware that english is widely spoken in new zealand...so as the poster mentioned, it is obvious that it had a connection to the british
What does English have to do with the British? NHO British.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:College Towns for $600 was MASSIVE HONKING NEGBAIT for Salt Lake City.
No, it wasn't. This is exactly the same as saying Indianapolis is negbait for the city where Notre Dame is located.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:01 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:College Towns for $600 was MASSIVE HONKING NEGBAIT for Salt Lake City.
No, it wasn't. This is exactly the same as saying Indianapolis is negbait for the city where Notre Dame is located.
Which is why one contestant whiffed with Salt Lake City and the other two clammed, right?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:05 pm
Which is why one contestant whiffed with Salt Lake City and the other two clammed, right?
perhaps they are just not versed in college towns...it wasn't like they were asking ogden or logan (weber state, utah state)....provo is pretty well known even if you don't follow ncaa sports
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Just because you don't know something doesn't make it negbait. Negbait looks like this:

The man who shot this president in the back of the head in November 1963 later said he felt so guilty, he couldn't sleep that night.

Who is Ngo Dinh Diem?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

How many times has your FJ! clue scale been balanced with nothing on one side and the correct response on the other leaving you to inevitably make the choice to go with nothing? You better tilt the scale the other way if you ever get "The Call."
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

so did you go with byu for a clue in today's game? was byu negbait?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:58 pm
Deseret sounds like desert = Arizona. Or New Mexico? Or California? There are deserts lots of places. Those tricky writers are at it again.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I wasn't sure if it'd be University of Utah, Utah State, Brigham Young, or hell, in the $2,000 box, maybe something I'd never heard of since I don't follow colleges all that close.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:08 pm I wasn't sure if it'd be University of Utah, Utah State, Brigham Young, or hell, in the $2,000 box, maybe something I'd never heard of since I don't follow colleges all that close.
utah vs nevada on tonight on day 1 of the ncaab season...check it out
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:58 pm
I did! Deseret = Mormonism and that screams BYU to me.

edit: I'm only now realizing the category was "Pac-12 Schools." Oops. I need to pay more attention to the categories.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:31 pm What was the TOM for "Toyko" on the top box? "Narita" sounds like it could be from literally anywhere.
I know this is going to include two things you hate, but 1) Narita does sound Japanese (it’s the name of a town), and 2) Sometimes you just have to know things. Narita is a very busy airport and handles something like half of all of Japan’s international air traffic.

On a more logic- and not knowledge-based level, top box will likely be a very well-known world capital, so you only have a few options. And it’s sure not London, Washington, Paris, or Beijing. It’s only $200. You might as well take a guess.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:38 pmNarita does sound Japanese
The hell it does. It sounds more African to me because it reminds me of Nairobi, but that was already used as a clue.
Bigdogstalfos wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:38 pmSometimes you just have to know things
I know how the exact tuning of a mandolin, the location of the first Little Caesars, the exact date of the first-ever Anthrocon, the first store to open at the largest mall in Indiana, all three lead singers of my favorite Southern rock band, the host and announcer of the game show All-Star Blitz (hobba hum hobba heeba humba), which MAD artists have done the most cover art, and the nickname for the protagonist of the anime My Hero Academia. But I doubt that those will ever come up in a clue, especially not a $200 one.
Bigdogstalfos wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:38 pm On a more logic- and not knowledge-based level, top box will likely be a very well-known world capital, so you only have a few options. And it’s sure not London, Washington, Paris, or Beijing.
It very well could be Beijing. "Sounds Chinese" and "Sounds Japanese" aren't miles apart. Or it could be in another big country such as Brazil. "Narita" sounds totally plausible as Portuguese to me. Or maybe they're just going to throw a red herring in the top box because THEY'VE DONE IT BEFORE.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:00 pm It very well could be Beijing. "Sounds Chinese" and "Sounds Japanese" aren't miles apart.
Actually, they kind of are.
Or it could be in another big country such as Brazil. "Narita" sounds totally plausible as Portuguese to me.
Again, sometimes you just have to know things. Brasilia, a capital founded in 1960, is relatively small compared to other Brazilian cities like Rio and Sao Paulo, and almost no one flies long-haul into its 1-terminal airport (which, by the way, is Brasília–Presidente Juscelino Kubitschek International Airport).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:17 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:00 pm It very well could be Beijing. "Sounds Chinese" and "Sounds Japanese" aren't miles apart.
Actually, they kind of are.
Still, "sounds like X" is inherently subjective. "Narita" sounds like it could be Japanese, Chinese, any of several African languages, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, or hell, even English to my ears.
hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:17 pmBrasilia, a capital founded in 1960, is relatively small compared to other Brazilian cities like Rio and Sao Paulo, and almost no one flies long-haul into its 1-terminal airport (which, by the way, is Brasília–Presidente Juscelino Kubitschek International Airport).
And this is like the 10,000,000th time that I've forgotten that Brasilia, not São Paulo, is the capital of Brazil. It should be obvious, but São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro are so disproportiontely well-known that I keep forgetting that Brasilia even exists. Nobody remembers third-placers.