Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

John Boy wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:09 pm
mahatma wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:31 pm Count me in for 'right author, wrong novel'. Do I smell a poll question?
Let's see if I got this right. The clue led many of us to The Grapes of Wrath, thus to Steinbeck. It was such an obvious red herring that AT even announced it before the reveal.
Nope, you got it half right. The clue led some of us to The Grapes of Wrath, thus AWAY from Steinbeck. Because, 1952.
The part about an ookie clue, you got right :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

alietr wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:16 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:08 pm
Rackme32 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:23 pm Since it hasn't been mentioned thus far in the thread, I must be the only one that had never heard of a "bath bomb".
You aren't.
... and that coming from the HBomb himself! Me neither, BTW.
I'm pretty sure my out-loud answer was "bath salt-bomb". I think the phrase "epsom salt" plus "tub" made me start to say "bath salt", but as soon as I saw "explosive", I did a verbal 180 degree maneuver to "bomb".

Bath bombs do have salts in them - according to Wiki, one of those salts is our recent friend sodium citrate...but it's monosodium citrate, not trisodium citrate, so no NaCHO in the tub!

I've heard of bath bombs, but never seen them. Wouldn't let one near my tub - my favorite scent is "nothing", with "most food that's not burnt and just about ready to be consumed" coming in a close second. Freshly mowed grass smells putrid to me, and those Bath and Body Works shops in the mall to me are the olfactory equivalent of a record store playing the Billboard Top 200. Not each album individually - all 200 albums at once.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:52 pm
mahatma wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:31 pm Count me in for 'right author, wrong novel'. Do I smell a poll question?
Let's see if I got this right. The clue led many of us to The Grapes of Wrath, thus to Steinbeck. It was such an obvious red herring that AT even announced it before the reveal.
Nope, you got it half right. The clue led some of us to The Grapes of Wrath, thus AWAY from Steinbeck. Because, 1952.
totally agree...i don't know much about literature, but i knew that book was written in 1939, so the year in the clue meant it was not grapes of wrath...i know nothing about any of his other books other than the title of his last novel contains a line from a tale of two cities
davey

Post by davey »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:10 am
totally agree...i don't know much about literature, but i knew that book was written in 1939, so the year in the clue meant it was not grapes of wrath...i know nothing about any of his other books other than the title of his last novel contains a line from a tale of two cities
The Winter of Our Discontent? That's not Dickens, dude...
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

davey wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:33 am
The Winter of Our Discontent? That's not Dickens, dude...

i stand corrected...from a billy shake offering...knew it was some lame british crap
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Judges, could I get away with exodus for exile?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:42 pm Judges, could I get away with exodus for exile?
Asked and answered above (spoiler: no).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:05 pm
floridagator wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:42 pm Judges, could I get away with exodus for exile?
I was going to say the same thing, but when I searched the thread for "exodus" it only turned up floridagator's post.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:29 pm
econgator wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:05 pm
I was going to say the same thing, but when I searched the thread for "exodus" it only turned up floridagator's post.
It's in Friday's thread.
OCSam
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:40 pm Similar to the DNA/double helix issue, I responded "trisomy" to THE SYNDROME SYNDROME for $800. "A person born with the most common type of this condition has an extra copy of chromosome 21 in each cell" For my response to be correct, trisomy 21 would have to be the most common trisomy, which can be debated.
Trisomy 21 is definitely a correct term for the condition that leads to Down Syndrome, but I think (based on the category name) they were looking for a response that contains the word "syndrome." And I hate it when people get negged for knowing way more than the clue calls for, but my guess is you would be counted wrong.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I knew of course that the book was SET in the 1030s but could not have guessed the date of publication. So I learned something today.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:32 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:40 pm Similar to the DNA/double helix issue, I responded "trisomy" to THE SYNDROME SYNDROME for $800. "A person born with the most common type of this condition has an extra copy of chromosome 21 in each cell" For my response to be correct, trisomy 21 would have to be the most common trisomy, which can be debated.
Trisomy 21 is definitely a correct term for the condition that leads to Down Syndrome, but I think (based on the category name) they were looking for a response that contains the word "syndrome." And I hate it when people get negged for knowing way more than the clue calls for, but my guess is you would be counted wrong.
Syndrome wasn't in quotes, so as long as it fits the clue it should be accepted and it sounds like trisomy 21 does.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 39,200
47 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Adam, California, stonewall, Haymarket Square, brawny, robust, How to Train Your Dragon, Captain Nemo (DD)

Count another one in the "figured it was Steinbeck; had no idea on the novel" tally. I figured it was too late for The Grapes of Wrath, but East of Eden was not one of the several titles that flashed through my mind.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:28 pm "Blah Blah Blah Cascades" = NOT Washington = OMG MASSIVE MASSIVE NEGBAIT.
It's almost as if that "blah blah blah" part is important sometimes. Like when it includes "southern end."
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:05 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:28 pm "Blah Blah Blah Cascades" = NOT Washington = OMG MASSIVE MASSIVE NEGBAIT.
It's almost as if that "blah blah blah" part is important sometimes. Like when it includes "southern end."
Tune out the blah blah blah = get misled and give a wrong answer

Pay attention to the blah blah blah = get bogged down with information overload and lose track of the clue

Can't I just get a happy medium?