Friday, November 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Friday, November 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Subsistence and Druthers.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Bamboo Curtain, Shiitake, Drums, Alaska, Mid, Paul Klee, Exile, Bernard Malamud

Reminiscing from a clue last season, Alexander Payne was all I needed to get Sideways. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

FJ was an instaget (I grew up Baptist and consider myself Methodist now), but I shouldn't get too excited because I was probably the one person to miss Brooklyn Bridge on Monday.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:33 pm Reminiscing from a clue last season, Alexander Payne was all I needed to get Sideways. ;)
Wasn't enough for me. But once it was clear we were referencing a movie about wine snobs, WECIB?
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:16 pm
talkingaway wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:30 am Speaking of religion, I had "the Exodus" for the "Babylonian Exile" - judges? No way would I have survived a "be more specific"...
No BMS needed. That's a clean neg, unfortunately. The Exodus refers to the other end of Israel's history, when they were brought OUT of Egypt and INTO the Promised Land. The Exile happens when they've been in the Promised Land for centuries. After repeatedly violating the terms of their tenant agreement (AKA the Torah), God kicks them OUT of the Promised Land, so they go INTO exile. (By this point the kingdom has been split in two, so there are separate exiles. The northern kingdom, which retained the name Israel, goes into exile in Assyria. The southern kingdom, consisting mostly of the tribe of Judah--hence the "Jews"--gets to stay a little longer but is eventually exiled to Babylon. Only the southern kingdom gets to have a third part to their story, i.e. The Return, in which they repent of their sins and God brings them BACK to the Promised Land.)

The basic story isn't complicated--except maybe for that twist about the kingdom splitting. So it could be worth getting down for J! purposes, or even just for general awareness.
Thanks for the explanation! A brief 1 minute scan of Wikipedia didn’t encourage me, but figured I’d check. I vaguely remember some of that from school, but the term Babylonian exile never stuck and doesn’t ring a bell. Oh, well... next time.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I'm surprised no one has alleged that Jennifer doomed herself when she corrected Alex on nine months versus nine years.

The Ottawa Journal folded in 1980! Alex might have been intimating that the champ was the Ottawa Bureau correspondent for Le Journal de Montreal or the Edmonton Journal or the Wall Street Journal or some such. (Collusion was involved in the simultaneous closing of the Ottawa Journal and the Winnipeg Tribune.)

A more interesting question, is Andrew Thomson a member of Canada's famous Thomson media family, which includes three generations of Lords.

I have to applaud Jeopardy for sticking with BC and not changing to BCE. That convention is simply abominable and constitutes taking sides in the culture War.
Last edited by floridagator on Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:56 pm Ottawa doesn't have a newspaper called the Journal.
It does have the Ottawa Business Journal.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Sounds like I'm in the minority of getting FJ correct fairly quickly. I did have the internal debate over whether it was really a denomination or not, but based on the event described, it had to be the clue they were looking for.

I would have preferred it be described as a "movement" rather than a "denomination". The word itself is an adjective, not a noun. Denominations strike me as nouns. Baptist. Methodist. Catholic. Adventist. Any of those could be preceded by Pentecostal, which describes the denomination more fully.

I have a hard time understanding the FJ wagering we've seen lately. Yes, wagering from first place is pretty easy, so it's usually right. But wagering from 3rd place is almost as easy. From third, the main way you are going to win is for the other two players to get it wrong. So what will 1st place have left if they are wrong? If you're already above that, wager so you don't drop below it if you are wrong. If you are below that figure, wager enough to beat it if you are right. That's not a complete wagering strategy from 3rd, but it's an easy-to-remember start and will keep you from several very bad wagers. Like all-in, which is almost never a good wager from 3rd.
--Peter
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:10 am Sounds like I'm in the minority of getting FJ correct fairly quickly. I did have the internal debate over whether it was really a denomination or not, but based on the event described, it had to be the clue they were looking for.

I would have preferred it be described as a "movement" rather than a "denomination". The word itself is an adjective, not a noun. Denominations strike me as nouns. Baptist. Methodist. Catholic. Adventist. Any of those could be preceded by Pentecostal, which describes the denomination more fully.

I have a hard time understanding the FJ wagering we've seen lately. Yes, wagering from first place is pretty easy, so it's usually right. But wagering from 3rd place is almost as easy. From third, the main way you are going to win is for the other two players to get it wrong. So what will 1st place have left if they are wrong? If you're already above that, wager so you don't drop below it if you are wrong. If you are below that figure, wager enough to beat it if you are right. That's not a complete wagering strategy from 3rd, but it's an easy-to-remember start and will keep you from several very bad wagers. Like all-in, which is almost never a good wager from 3rd.
I would disagree with your last sentence. All in frequently is a good wager from third, if you need to add something to get ahead of what the leader will have left on a miss, it usually makes sense to just bet it all.

The rest of your statement is true, third should just consider what first and second are likely to bet and what it will leave them with on a miss, but that is more steps than about 80% or so of Jeopardy players are willing or able to take.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:49 pmI would disagree with your last sentence. All in frequently is a good wager from third, if you need to add something to get ahead of what the leader will have left on a miss, it usually makes sense to just bet it all.
I guess that is a philosophical difference. Sure, you can go all-in from 3rd if you need to get it right and the others need to miss for you to win. That does maximize your winnings. But then I temper that with the results of a miss. An all-in miss guarantees you 3rd place. You can sometimes win an extra $1000 by staying ahead of 2nd place when you both miss. Since a sole get from 3rd place is pretty rare, I'd be tempted to increase the chance for 2nd place by betting less than all. In the right situation, a less-than-all wager doesn't improve your odds of winning the day, but it does improve odds of coming in 2nd, so it's the choice to make. It's basically making the best of a bad situation.
--Peter
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 34,400
41 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: bamboo curtain, shiitake, Paul Klee

No problem with FJ!, but I am a practicing Christian who knows the New Testament fairly well. I can't see the argument for negbait on Seventh-Day Adventist, though. Sure, it might be the response someone is most likely to come up with if they have no knowledge of the subject matter and just pick a denomination that has "Day" in its name, but that's just grasping at straws. To my mind, in order for a FJ! to be negbait, it would have to be likely to sway a contestant who might otherwise come up with the correct response. No one who knew enough to get this one right was going to seriously consider SDA as a response.
Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:10 am I would have preferred it be described as a "movement" rather than a "denomination". The word itself is an adjective, not a noun. Denominations strike me as nouns. Baptist. Methodist. Catholic. Adventist. Any of those could be preceded by Pentecostal, which describes the denomination more fully.
FTR, "catholic" is an adjective. It means universal.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

On the recent Saturday rerun of this game, I caught (or rather failed to catch!) something I've never noticed on a Jeopardy! episode before--a fly in the studio crawling on a contestant, specifically, on Christine McKeever's glasses. I was so certain that it couldn't have been there in the studio that I thought it was crawling on my TV screen and reached to grab it. But then it vanished into thin air!
8085fly.png
8085fly.png (377.87 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
J! Round, clue 13--"What is Chantilly?"