Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, November 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ANCIENT HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
According to Herodotus, a messenger was sent 150 miles from Athens to Sparta, just before this 490 B.C. battle

Kyle Jones: 8400+8400=16800
Anneke Garcia: 11400-6601=4799
Gilbert Collins: 9000+7801=16801 (Semifinalist)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Marathon (Anneke – Justice for Barb!)

Daily Doubles
Gilbert: 1800+1800
Kyle: 1200+2000
Kyle: 6800-4000

Coryats
Kyle: 12000
Anneke: 11400
Gilbert: 7800

Combined: 31,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Kyle: 1200
Anneke: 3400
Gilbert: 7400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's a new ToC but the powers found a creative way to get Buzzy involved:
Spoiler

giving advice to the new field.
The match works for an opener as all three were in contention going into the FJ! round with no one dominating and no one looking like they did not belong.

Kyle missed DD3 putting him in position to wait on a WC slot while Gilbert did enough with DD1 and solving the FJ! clue to relax for the rest of the QF round. In the semis I would expect Gilbert to play James after avoiding him this time.

Anneke is going to need a whole bunch of tough FJ! clues to move on with just 4799. The easier path would have been to solve that FJ! clue, concentrating on it for think time, instead of waving the white flag to go for a Stranger Things tribute.

That FJ! clue while fine for the QF round would not be out of place in regular play either. There are going to be some ToCers leaving with $5,000 that will wish they had today's clue.

Nice to hear that Gilbert followed through with the 1% cut for his kids from regular play that he promised.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Ugh, missed a very gettable FJ.
Spoiler
Note to self: just because it's ToC doesn't mean the obvious answer isn't the right one.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Coryat: $18,600

25 R (2 DDs), 4 W--Knew Cape Colony after I heard it, but blanked.

FJ--Immediately knew, but spent a few seconds more thinking about it making sure nothing else was plausible (nothing else came to mind). Didn't help we started the last ToC with an easy Final.

LT: rood/rude, Colin Jost, Jezelle, Tom Wolfe
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

During the Middle Ages, Bergen became a trading center of this merchant league that held its last congress in 1669 the Hanseatic League

Part of being an archivist can be dealing with correction suggestions. Most, like the one above wanting "Congress", come in anonymously. It would be easier to judge some of them if I knew who suggested the correction such as a J! champ, reputable board member, fellow archivist, etc.

Usually I make my own judgment for accept or deny. This time I'm curious to hear from a couple of board members if I should capitalize Congress or leave it as congress? Thanks.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Thought I heard Kyle say “tress” instead of “truss” for tying up the chicken.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Leander wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:32 pm Thought I heard Kyle say “tress” instead of “truss” for tying up the chicken.
The CC had "trussed" and I went with that in figuring the show workers with 20/20 hearing would neg if necessary if it had been "tressed" or "tress." If Kyle wants to post that he "got away with one" then that would be another thing. My opinion is Kyle said it right and usually it's best to leave the judging to the professionals.

Yeah, right. This is a message board and we're always ready to try to bust someone.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat 29400
39 R, 1 W
DD 1/3
FJ :( talked myself out of the right answer

Best LT: Pam Dawber, which I pulled out of thin air in my weakest subject area. Also got Becquerel, but I have a science Ph.D. so I'd better get Becquerel.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:39 pm
Leander wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:32 pm Thought I heard Kyle say “tress” instead of “truss” for tying up the chicken.
The CC had "trussed" and I went with that in figuring the show workers with 20/20 hearing would neg if necessary if it had been "tressed" or "tress." If Kyle wants to post that he "got away with one" then that would be another thing. My opinion is Kyle said it right and usually it's best to leave the judging to the professionals.

Yeah, right. This is a message board and we're always ready to try to bust someone.
It sounded kinda' halfway between "tress" and "truss." I'd give it to him.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

That FJ seemed . . . easy for a TOC match. I did wonder if Marathon was too obvious.

I don't think Anneke should have been BMS'd for her response of Guyana in the $2,000 "To the Stars" clue asking for a South American territory. French Guiana isn't a more specific version of saying "Guyana"; Guyana is an independent country and I think the response should have been treated as incorrect.

Always nice to pick up Lach Trash in a TOC game. I got Becquerel, Nixon, rood, Thomas Gibson, pawn, Tom Wolfe, von Braun (a surprising TS), and Pam Dawber (a make-me-feel-old TS).

BTW, for the controversial Kyle response mentioned upthread, I heard "tress."
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Congrats to Gilbert on the win.

Although I've already lost my chances of having a perfect QF predictions record.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:12 pm That FJ seemed . . . easy for a TOC match. I did wonder if Marathon was too obvious.

I don't think Anneke should have been BMS'd for her response of Guyana in the $2,000 "To the Stars" clue asking for a South American territory. French Guiana isn't a more specific version of saying "Guyana"; Guyana is an independent country and I think the response should have been treated as incorrect.
Same. There were a lot of paths to victory even if you didn’t know 490 BC cold as the date. Athens is involved, there is a runner, just like after the battle. Ah well.

And agree with the Guyana answer. It’s a totally separate country. If you answered Ireland for a question on Northern Ireland, I don’t think you’d be prompted.

I am glad with the Wolfe TS, we didn’t have to handle the possibility of someone answering Thomas Wolfe and whether that would be considered correct as Thomas and Tom were both authors.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:33 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:12 pm That FJ seemed . . . easy for a TOC match. I did wonder if Marathon was too obvious.

Same. There were a lot of paths to victory even if you didn’t know 490 BC cold as the date. Athens is involved, there is a runner, just like after the battle. Ah well.

And agree with the Guyana answer. It’s a totally separate country. If you answered Ireland for a question on Northern Ireland, I don’t think you’d be prompted.

I am glad with the Wolfe TS, we didn’t have to handle the possibility of someone answering Thomas Wolfe and whether that would be considered correct as Thomas and Tom were both authors.
Strangely enough, this is, in fact, a precedent that has been set.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... d+specific
(Under “Nice Red Uniforms!” For $1200)
Golf

Post by Golf »

Did anyone else think there were a ton of stand and stares on basic Jeopardy information especially for ToC contestants? Hamburger Hill for one.

So if you have the lead going into FJ with $250k on the line, are you really going to waste valuable brain power and time writing out a joke answer on a clue that every single contestant that has ever appeared on (regular) Jeopardy has the knowledge to answer?

Kudos on the FJ wagers.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Golf wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:47 pm Kudos on the FJ wagers.
Shouldn't Gilbert have gone all-in on his wager to maximize his WC chances in the event that Anneke responded correctly to the FJ and wagered enough to win outright? It's not like he would have any chance of advancing if he missed FJ and ended up with $1,199.

Also, I'm not sure I understand the wager that Anneke actually made, although I think with her score, despite being in the lead, she was in a difficult wagering position. Historically speaking, roughly what are the chances of advancing for a contestant who ends up with $6,601?
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:40 pm Coryat 29400
39 R, 1 W
DD 1/3
FJ :( talked myself out of the right answer

Best LT: Pam Dawber, which I pulled out of thin air in my weakest subject area. Also got Becquerel, but I have a science Ph.D. so I'd better get Becquerel.
i pulled it out at the last second...was thinking cohn because the mindy part of the show got me to mindy cohn, but then i realised i was wrong and dawber came to me in the nick of time
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

missed the first 2 boxes of the tv category, but got the last 3...never heard of either of those first 2 box shows...glad they didnt ask for rizzoli...sasha alexander was easy to remember basically because of her ncis days and the fact that the first name of her stage names is basically russian nickname for alexander, so alexander times 2
Golf

Post by Golf »

Golf wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:47 pm Kudos on the FJ wagers.
hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:51 pm Shouldn't Gilbert have gone all-in on his wager to maximize his WC chances in the event that Anneke responded correctly to the FJ and wagered enough to win outright? It's not like he would have any chance of advancing if he missed FJ and ended up with $1,199.

Also, I'm not sure I understand the wager that Anneke actually made, although I think with her score, despite being in the lead, she was in a difficult wagering position. Historically speaking, roughly what are the chances of advancing for a contestant who ends up with $6,601?
She wagered to win the game, that's what she should have done instead of trying to guess the cutoff and hope for a WC. She also wins on a TS.

As far as Gilbert's wager goes, you're right. I don't think it's a huge error, but everything is probably optimal in this situation. Good call.