Fourth Podium Poll for 11/4/2019 - Monday TOC (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which of these triple stumpers (and one missed DD) did you get?

$1000 HOMOPHONES: An old word for the Christian cross, or a description of one's impolite disposition
41%
$1000 SAY YES TO THE CHESS: The "hypermodern" Reti opening begins with a move of this piece
49%
$800 SAY YES TO THE CHESS: The queen's gambit is marked by white's second-move offer to sacrifice one of these, temporarily (Kyle negged with queen)
65%
$800 I APPOINTED THAT SUPREME COURT JUSTICE: William Rehnquist (as associate justice) (NOTE: We learned in the previously played clue that Rehnquist had been appointed CHIEF Justice by Ronald Reagan.)
60%
$1000 THE HARVARD LAMPOON: Writers and performers who've gone from the "Lampoon" to "Saturday Night Live" include this young fellow who co-hosts "Weekend Update" with Michael Che (picture in first post--identify guy on right)
48%
$1000 AUTO FILL: Feel the velocity in the ___ Veloster
23%
$2000 OPERA & BALLET: This title girl from an Adolphe Adam ballet dies in the first act & must dance for a ghost queen in the second
13%
$1600 ALLITERATION ON THE MAP: This nickname for Dong Ap Bia mountain in Vietnam was inspired by a brutal battle that took place there in 1969
47%
$1200 HARDPODGE: Ever the man in white, he chronicled "Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers" in 1970
52%
$2000 ABBREV. & ACRONYMS: Abbreviated Bq, this unit of radioactivity is named for a French physicist
49%
$800 THE PARTY OF THE SECOND PART: Dharma & Greg
17%
$800 TO THE STARS: In 1960 NASA made this German-born man the first director of the Marshall Space Flight Center (Gilbert negged with Goddard)
71%
$1600 THE PARTY OF THE SECOND PART: "Rizzoli & Isles"
8%
$2000 THE PARTY OF THE SECOND PART: "Mork & Mindy"
62%
Kyle's DD in $2000 slot (wagered $4000) ALLITERATION ON THE MAP: Before 1910 the area that's home to the southern tip of Africa bore this name
9%

Total votes: 86

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Fourth Podium Poll for 11/4/2019 - Monday TOC (SPOILERS)

Post by Peter the accountant »

A meager 3600 here. I stayed clam on Bq, but knew it was something starting with becq and that I'd seen it many times before.
--Peter
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Good episode for 4th podium poll -- even my wife commented during the pre-FJ commercial break, "You'd probably be ahead just on unanswered questions."

Would not have rung in on rood/rude, Hyundai, Thomas Gibson, or Sasha Alexander. Got the rest of the regular clues, with one ambiguity. Would not have rung in on Cape Colony, but guessed correctly and would have answered correctly if forced to on a DD.

The one ambiguity was with the Reti opening. Since it's the first move of the game, the "white" piece is a given and I simply answered "knight." If that led to a BMS, I would have probably answered "king's knight" instead of "white knight," since the Reti is a king-side opening.

If that's counted as a correct, I could have had $13,200 prior to the DD.

The only reason I got "Giselle" was due to a geography mixup. I lived in Cheyenne, Wyoming for three years, then went to Germany for three years, then back to Cheyenne. Two days after our return to Cheyenne, we saw a notice for a concert that looked interesting at "Cheyenne East High School," so we went, only to find out that they had moved the high school while we were gone and the old high school was now the school administration building. "Giselle" was being performed that night, and since we didn't have time to get to the new high school, we shrugged and went to the ballet instead.

Sometimes it's very odd where answers to Jeopardy clues come from.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

10K. Derped Cape Colony by forgetting the category.
Scott Baio & Pam Dawber were my only gets in that category. Gawd I'm getting old... :P
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

will there be a 4th podium poll for tuesday's episode?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

$0.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

$11,400. Clammed on pawn. Was dialed in on the DD, looking for "Cape C____," but I had NHO Cape Colony.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Charis
Contributor

Post by Charis »

$4400. I got pawn, Giselle, Gibson, and Von Braun.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:37 pm
Rackme32 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:30 pm Ugh... $4600. But come on... Mindy a SnS? Easiest clue in that category by far.
you thought it was easier than scott baio for chachi?
Okay, that would be about equal... Or should have been. I just couldn't recall his name.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :mrgreen:

Ran YES TO THE CHESS