Tuesday, November 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Tuesday, November 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

What was the TOM for Pacific Ocean in Elements for $200?

0/5 in Landlocked Country.

Tripped up in Before & Laughter. Said punch-liner instead of one-liner, NHO "rib tickler".

Lance/clean cost me the run. Got snagged on "wash" and couldn't shift gears in time.

Anyone else think "north and south pole" was too easy for $1,600?

Was it just me or was there a big edit before Rob called Dark Ages for $1600?

0/5 in Pac-12. Clammed on Seattle, wasn't sure if it would be that, Olympia, Tacoma, or any of the other 847 cities in WA.

Also 0/5 in Fictional Characters. Not the slightest bit of recognition.

Strangely the top box was my only miss in Pop Culture. NHO Hobbs & Shaw.

All but watershed in Water

New England? Well, most of the New England capitals are really small... but Boston isn't small. MA it is.
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

OUCH. Oh Rob. I had you figured for a deep run, especially when you got a favorable draw. So sorry, man. My only "criticism" is that with 3 TSes before the DD, it didn't seem like you were comfortable enough with that Fictional Characters category to go TDD, but it was an $800 clue, after all. Glad you recovered in time to make FJ, at least.

Instaget FJ. 1840? I'd be shocked if any other NE state had more than 5 cities in the top 100. Even today, are any other NE capitals in the top 100?
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:28 pm
I agree there was a blatant edit there, but I don't recall anything unusual happening that forced them to stop the tape.
xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:48 pm My only "criticism" is that with 3 TSes before the DD, it didn't seem like you were comfortable enough with that Fictional Characters category to go TDD, but it was an $800 clue, after all.
Yeah 20/20 hindsight has me agreeing with you.
But in the moment it felt like the game was slipping away, I definitely wasn't doing well on the buzzer, and as you say it was a 2nd-row clue so I liked my chances...
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:48 pm OUCH. Oh Rob. I had you figured for a deep run, especially when you got a favorable draw. So sorry, man. My only "criticism" is that with 3 TSes before the DD, it didn't seem like you were comfortable enough with that Fictional Characters category to go TDD, but it was an $800 clue, after all. Glad you recovered in time to make FJ, at least.

Instaget FJ. 1840? I'd be shocked if any other NE state had more than 5 cities in the top 100. Even today, are any other NE capitals in the top 100?
There aren’t any other NE CITIES in the top 100.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Thoughts on QF-2:

Rob, tough breaks tonight. Thanks for visiting the board in the aftermath.

I for one thought the U. of Utah clue was wicked negbait for BYU.

My first thought as I read FJ: GREAT! The "New England" part narrows the search from 50 to 6! Then I thought "Can Massachusetts POSSIBLY be right? Can such an obvious choice really be the right answer for FJ in the tournament? I wrote it down and sweated 25 seconds, agonizing after which of the other five would be the one to slip in and be correct. As Jethro always said, Woo, doggies!

Another reason I hate "which decade" clues. Negged 1980s for Pet Rocks. Stupid Pet Rocks anyway.

Aaaannnnnnnnddddd: Three Tournament-of-Champions-caliber Jeopardy! contestants stand and stare on the Color Purple clue. And somewhere, Oprah's head has just exploded.

And somewhere my late father, the physics teacher, is smiling down as I successfully identified radium and polonium in DD1.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Tough luck up there Rob - you don't need me to tell you this, but you absolutely made the right decision to go all-in on DD2. I was so happy to see you get back on the plus side at the end!

Congrats to Dhruv for improving historical data for college champs and to Rachel for getting into solid shape for a wildcard.

Thought of Connecticut briefly in FJ but.. *checks "location" tab below avatar*.. yeah I'm not missing this one.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

John Boy wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:13 pm I for one thought the U. of Utah clue was wicked negbait for BYU.
I had to catch myself to not say BYU, but it’s not in the PAC-12. Utah was a layup after that. I think BYU is still in the Mountain West?
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:32 pm
John Boy wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:13 pm I for one thought the U. of Utah clue was wicked negbait for BYU.
I had to catch myself to not say BYU, but it’s not in the PAC-12. Utah was a layup after that. I think BYU is still in the Mountain West?
BYU left the MWC in 2010. Independent in football since 2011, members of the West Coast Conference in most other sports.

ETA: Just looked up "deseret" and agree that would have been harder if "Pac-12" wasn't specified. *shrug*
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat 29800
40 R
3 W
DD 1/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Clammed on Colorado because I thought it was still in the Big 12. Googled it to see when it joined the Pac 12. Almost a decade ago. I see. :?

Any game with two geography categories and a geography FJ makes me a happy camper.

And congrats to RobW for the ToC appearance. Rough game, but it could happen to anyone. Nailing those three at the end to survive into FJ was one of the clutchest things I've seen in a while.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:28 pm What was the TOM for Pacific Ocean in Elements for $200?

0/5 in Landlocked Country.

Tripped up in Before & Laughter. Said punch-liner instead of one-liner, NHO "rib tickler".

Lance/clean cost me the run. Got snagged on "wash" and couldn't shift gears in time.

Anyone else think "north and south pole" was too easy for $1,600?

0/5 in Pac-12. Clammed on Seattle, wasn't sure if it would be that, Olympia, Tacoma, or any of the other 847 cities in WA.

Also 0/5 in Fictional Characters. Not the slightest bit of recognition.

Strangely the top box was my only miss in Pop Culture. NHO Hobbs & Shaw.

All but watershed in Water

New England? Well, most of the New England capitals are really small... but Boston isn't small. MA it is.
i ran that category...also precalled colorado and utah in the bottom boxes
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

threearruda wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:43 pm
Bigdogstalfos wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:32 pm
BYU left the MWC in 2010. Independent in football since 2011, members of the West Coast Conference in most other sports.

ETA: Just looked up "deseret" and agree that would have been harder if "Pac-12" wasn't specified. *shrug*
not sure if i would have come up with the answer to the clue had it not been in a category called pac-12...with pac-12 as the category what else could it have been other than utah? if you knew the schools in that conference then it was pretty easy
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

threearruda wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:31 pm Tough luck up there Rob - you don't need me to tell you this, but you absolutely made the right decision to go all-in on DD2. I was so happy to see you get back on the plus side at the end!

Congrats to Dhruv for improving historical data for college champs and to Rachel for getting into solid shape for a wildcard.

Thought of Connecticut briefly in FJ but.. *checks "location" tab below avatar*.. yeah I'm not missing this one.
i also originally thought connecticut, but then i said "well bridgeport is the largest city in connecticut, so it has to be massachusetts"
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

John Boy wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:13 pm Thoughts on QF-2:

Rob, tough breaks tonight. Thanks for visiting the board in the aftermath.

I for one thought the U. of Utah clue was wicked negbait for BYU.

My first thought as I read FJ: GREAT! The "New England" part narrows the search from 50 to 6! Then I thought "Can Massachusetts POSSIBLY be right? Can such an obvious choice really be the right answer for FJ in the tournament? I wrote it down and sweated 25 seconds, agonizing after which of the other five would be the one to slip in and be correct. As Jethro always said, Woo, doggies!

Another reason I hate "which decade" clues. Negged 1980s for Pet Rocks. Stupid Pet Rocks anyway.

Aaaannnnnnnnddddd: Three Tournament-of-Champions-caliber Jeopardy! contestants stand and stare on the Color Purple clue. And somewhere, Oprah's head has just exploded.

And somewhere my late father, the physics teacher, is smiling down as I successfully identified radium and polonium in DD1.
sounds like something ten pound hammer would say
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

shouldn't the answer to the clue regarding methodious and cyril and fathers of this system have been cyrillic alphabet? they created that alphabet and it wasn't the first alphabet in the world
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Oh, man, Rob, not your day, unfortunately. Sorry it didn't turn out better for you. I was looking forward to seeing you go mano a mano with a certain champion.

With that out of the way ... Go, Dhruv! Way to represent Brown!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I don't know sports, yet I got both Stanley Cup and freestyle

I don't know sports, so I negged on BYU

DD 2/3 + FJ (well, 2.5 DD, cuz I got radium)

Adam's rib splitter - apparently a rib splitter is a prison thing

Nice shout out for H-Bomb tonight!

After last night, I looked at the timeline of ancient history on Wikipedia and read this helpful tidbit: 476: Romulus Augustus, last Western Roman Emperor is forced to abdicate by Odoacer, a chieftain of the Germanic Heruli

I always mess up Nick Carraway and Nick Adams. ahhhh
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:00 pm I don't know sports, yet I got both Stanley Cup and freestyle

I don't know sports, so I negged on BYU

DD 2/3 + FJ (well, 2.5 DD, cuz I got radium)

Adam's rib splitter - apparently a rib splitter is a prison thing

Nice shout out for H-Bomb tonight!

After last night, I looked at the timeline of ancient history on Wikipedia and read this helpful tidbit: 476: Romulus Augustus, last Western Roman Emperor is forced to abdicate by Odoacer, a chieftain of the Germanic Heruli

I always mess up Nick Carraway and Nick Adams. ahhhh

what shout out is that?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

RobW wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:01 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:48 pm My only "criticism" is that with 3 TSes before the DD, it didn't seem like you were comfortable enough with that Fictional Characters category to go TDD, but it was an $800 clue, after all.
Yeah 20/20 hindsight has me agreeing with you.
But in the moment it felt like the game was slipping away, I definitely wasn't doing well on the buzzer, and as you say it was a 2nd-row clue so I liked my chances...
Dude, I want to chase you around my office like I'm Robin Williams and you're Matt Damon and just say "You made the right wagers" over and over until you break down crying and then drive off to get back together with Minnie Driver. Yeah, the wagers didn't work out. They were still good.

And it was thrilling in its own way to watch you battle back to a place at the podium for FJ. To throw in a self-deprecating joke with the Hagar the Horrible clue just added panache to your rally.
JTrivial
Valued Contributor

Post by JTrivial »

Just like any Super Bowl, this FJ would have been substantially better without “New England.” No other state is even remotely close to fitting the clue description. PA (14 of top 100 in 1840) and NY (7) are the only ones that could plausibly satisfy the first part, and they’re easily ruled out if you know that NYC and Philly aren’t state capitals.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

comparison of difficulty between yesterday's game and today's
The body of this game was more what I expect from a TOC. But FJ was even easier today than yesterday. Seriously, this was a Teen Week level FJ at best. I don't mind this too much as long as they're going to be consistent. But they often manage to pick one day where they just screw over the wildcard hopes of the non-winners.
I was hoping for a Guy Fawkes category today. Oh well.