Tuesday, November 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, November 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:23 pm
comparison of difficulty between yesterday's game and today's
The body of this game was more what I expect from a TOC. But FJ was even easier today than yesterday. Seriously, this was a Teen Week level FJ at best. I don't mind this too much as long as they're going to be consistent. But they often manage to pick one day where they just screw over the wildcard hopes of the non-winners.
I was hoping for a Guy Fawkes category today. Oh well.
how about melbourne cup?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Tonight’s boards felt easier to me than last nights. I felt for you, Rob, as I could see your mounting frustration. Another easy FJ, too.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Ouch, both for me and Rob. I'm now 0/2 for winner predictions. Not only that, but the two winners so far I didn't even peg for making the Semifinals at all. :lol: I'll get at least one right this week though, I bet.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Embarrassed that I live IN Massachusetts, and whiffed the FJ! for Rhode Island. Concentrated too much on the "only 1 urban area in the top 100" part, and not enough on the "had 24 huge urban areas a long time ago" part. Rhode Island's not big enough to even HAVE 24 urban areas - what was I thinking?!?!

Another "never heard it out loud" for Mancunian. My brain had it as mancuSian. Maybe I need to stop reading and start listening to audiobooks?

And another Bostonian mark of shame: I swept the "all time winners" category, EXCEPT for former Celtic "Bill Russell". I think they're going to drive me out of town.

Almost swept the "pop culture" category, except I misread/heard the "Back to the Beach" clue as asking for a prior movie/prequel, and I went to "Beach Blanket Bingo". I knew Annette Funicello goes with Frankie Avalon...just temporary brain freeze.

I agree that "90 degrees" was too easy for the fourth row. Flip the clue, and ask "What is the highest degree of latitude", and you might have a tougher clue that has a plausible neg, since you might think that latitudes go from -180 to 180 like longitudes, or you might mix up latitude and longitude.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

How does the top box end up being my only NHOI in a pop culture category?

Also, I knew Frankie and Annette because i once watched a 1996 episode of Wheel of Fortune on YouTube that happened to be one of only two times I remember being unable to solve any of the puzzles before the contestants did. One of the answers was "Frankie and Annette in Beach Blanket Bingo", which was utterly unfamiliar to me at the time.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Manx is Isle of Man. Mancs has never been an abbreviation for Mancunians that I’ve ever seen. J is getting sloppy. Easy FJ. LOL at whoever had the joke about (hopefully) not seeing New England in the Super Bowl. They are annoying!
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

Johnblue wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:22 pm Manx is Isle of Man. Mancs has never been an abbreviation for Mancunians that I’ve ever seen. J is getting sloppy.
well it was casual (impolite, even) usage but I had definitely heard the term "manc" referencing a Mancunian.
(Ricky Gervais's XFM radio show and subsequent podcast)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:46 pm States that have their most populous city as their capital (hard quiz)

Quiz answers:
Spoiler
Little Rock, Arkansas
Nashville, Tennessee
Indianapolis, Indiana
Charleston, West Virginia
Atlanta, Georgia
Jackson, Mississippi
Denver, Colorado
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Salt Lake City, Utah
Columbus, Ohio
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Boise, Idaho
Honolulu, Hawaii
Des Moines, Iowa
Phoenix, Arizona
Providence, Rhode Island
Boston, Massachusetts
This quiz has two errors.
Spoiler
Nashville, TN is NOT one of the correct answers, as even the information above the quiz proper points out. And Columbia, SC is omitted as a correct answer. Columbia should replace Nashville.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

nlw44 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:32 pm This quiz has two errors.
Spoiler
Nashville, TN is NOT one of the correct answers, as even the information above the quiz proper points out. And Columbia, SC is omitted as a correct answer. Columbia should replace Nashville.
No, the quiz is correct on both counts. That article is out of date.
davey

Post by davey »

RobW wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:30 pm
Johnblue wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:22 pm Manx is Isle of Man. Mancs has never been an abbreviation for Mancunians that I’ve ever seen. J is getting sloppy.
well it was casual (impolite, even) usage but I had definitely heard the term "manc" referencing a Mancunian.
(Ricky Gervais's XFM radio show and subsequent podcast)
...and it takes about 10 seconds to google other examples...
Here's a whole book of Mancs jokes...
https://books.google.com/books?id=vVu7A ... DkbxIncDbm
Sorry for your trouble, Rob... :cry:
btw, I also said "Adam's ribbing," so thanks for that... ;)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Hugo Z wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:05 pm So how often does a total like 13601 make the WC cut? Seemed like an overly-conservative wager.
Yeah, I have a feeling Rachel is going to be kicking herself for playing it too safe, but time will tell.

Sorry it didn't work out, Rob, but you can hold your head high. We appreciate you going for it!

And, yeah, "Mancs" is a very common abbreviation for "Mancunians."
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:17 pm How does the top box end up being my only NHOI in a pop culture category?

Also, I knew Frankie and Annette because i once watched a 1996 episode of Wheel of Fortune on YouTube that happened to be one of only two times I remember being unable to solve any of the puzzles before the contestants did. One of the answers was "Frankie and Annette in Beach Blanket Bingo", which was utterly unfamiliar to me at the time.
never saw the movie back to the beach? it also had gilligan and the skipper in it
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Cracker Jack Handey, One Liner Note, and Anette Funicello.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Radium and Polonium), *Adam's Rib Tickling*, Slip, Mull, O-Lan, Nick Adams, Celie, (Miss Havisham), (Iconoclast), Utah, Alphabet, Arizona, Seattle

Pretty disappointing episode as there were a bunch of not so difficult misses including the three Daily Doubles.

"Kintyre" for Mull should have been a gimme.

Metric System was a pretty bad neg as it was devised in 17th century France.

Most JBOARDIES who posted in the ToC Predictions(Including me) probably shouldn't be gambling anytime soon. :roll: ;)
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Echoes of Horwood/O'Shea/McNitt in 2014, with the differences being that the games/winnings leader made it to FJ and the low-earning 5xer got FJ right.

I was 4/4 on the big clues today, with enough negs that I am resisting posting in the Lach Trash thread.

Did anyone else take exception to Rob's placement of an S at the end of Cracker Jack Handey? I let it go because I thought there could have been a possessive in the latter part of the clue (like "writer whose 'Deep Thoughts' were...") and didn't want to go back and check, but with the game archived now I can't make that S acceptable in my mind.

I fell victim to the clues being taken out of order in the Landlocked category: I didn't know which South American country (of the two that fit the category) had the Guaraní language and currency, but Bolivia having been the correct response to a previously revealed clue would have been extremely helpful.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:28 am Echoes of Horwood/O'Shea/McNitt in 2014, with the differences being that the games/winnings leader made it to FJ and the low-earning 5xer got FJ right.

I was 4/4 on the big clues today, with enough negs that I am resisting posting in the Lach Trash thread.

Did anyone else take exception to Rob's placement of an S at the end of Cracker Jack Handey? I let it go because I thought there could have been a possessive in the latter part of the clue (like "writer whose 'Deep Thoughts' were...") and didn't want to go back and check, but with the game archived now I can't make that S acceptable in my mind.

I fell victim to the clues being taken out of order in the Landlocked category: I didn't know which South American country (of the two that fit the category) had the Guaraní language and currency, but Bolivia having been the correct response to a previously revealed clue would have been extremely helpful.
me too...i said bolivia for the first one revealed and obviously wouldn't have if they went in order as i would have said bolivia for the one above it and gone with the correct response of paraguay in the next one
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:28 am I didn't know which South American country (of the two that fit the category) had the Guaraní language and currency
Paraguay == Guarani
Bolivia == Boliviano
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:00 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:28 am I didn't know which South American country (of the two that fit the category) had the Guaraní language and currency
Paraguay == Guarani
Bolivia == Boliviano
Well yes, I know now.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:28 am
Yep, I was surprised when Alex didn't correct this at the interview break and then when he announced a change to start DJ I figured they finally caught it. But nope, that was about Adam's ribbing in the same category. My guess at the time was maybe if you were following the premise of this being an actual food product like Cracker Jack, you might call them Cracker Jack Handeys. Of course Cracker Jack itself doesn't have an 's". Either way, seems like a stretch. I'd have negged it, but with Rob's true DD it wouldn't have had any effect on the final scores, unless it was negged from the beginning and someone else rebounded.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I have a problem with the Dark Ages $1200 clue: "Dark Ages guys Methodius & Cyril went down in history as the fathers of this system"

Alex said (according to our crack archivists) that the correct response is "(what is) the alphabet". Surely the ancient Phoenicians invented the alphabet, and what Methodius and Cyril invented was the Cyrillic alphabet. Am I right or am I wrong?
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:24 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:28 am
Yep, I was surprised when Alex didn't correct this at the interview break and then when he announced a change to start DJ I figured they finally caught it. But nope, that was about Adam's ribbing in the same category. My guess at the time was maybe if you were following the premise of this being an actual food product like Cracker Jack, you might call them Cracker Jack Handeys. Of course Cracker Jack itself doesn't have an 's". Either way, seems like a stretch. I'd have negged it, but with Rob's true DD it wouldn't have had any effect on the final scores, unless it was negged from the beginning and someone else rebounded.

Now that you mention it, I do recall feeling some nervous deja vu after I uttered that "S", but I figured I'd get a little leniency in a B&A style clue where a nonsensical phrase is being provided, as opposed to a literary quote.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman