Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:30 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:43 pm I was floored by Fayetteville, Arkansas being the "Athens of the Ozarks", or whatever. That was a waste of TOM - they should've just said "Suburb of Wal-Mart" (HQ is in Bentonville, but all of Northwest Arkansas is the U of A or Wal-Mart related). I would take the under at 12% of residents ever heard that nickname.

Why should a College Towns category just ask for the capital of the State? Might as well just call it State Capitals.

The flamingo clue was a joke. You gotta stand in hip waders to finally ask for Beta-carotene?

No chance for me on FJ. Geography is a wheelhole category for me. I actually gridlocked trying to remember the old name of Mumbai because I felt it had a more Anglo name. I knew I couldn't wend through the African colonies.

Steve keeps rolling, he's been tested quite a bit.
i had never heard that before either and i lived there for 2.5 years while getting my master's degree...the only nickname i remember hearing was "fayettenam"
Not familiar with that nickname being applied to the Arkansas Fayetteville. Fayetteville, North Carolina was known as "Fayette Nam" in the 70s and into the 80s. It's the home of Fort Bragg and the 82nd Airborne Division and was a pretty wild place before a concerted effort to clean up the town. At one time it was the only city in CONUS that had weekend joint patrols with MPs and civilian police officers in the same patrol car -- sometimes in police cars and sometimes in MP vehicles.

It had pretty much been cleaned up by the time I was assigned to Pope AFB in the late eighties, but people who had lived there during the tumultuous 70s said that Fayetteville for three years running had the highest per-capita murder rate in the country, and that the number of pawn shops between the city and Fort Bragg was exceeded only by the number of brothels.

It's now considered a pretty nice place, and often appears on various "best places to live" lists.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So did anyone else know that doughnut baseball thing? That didn't look remotely like a doughnut to me.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:13 am So did anyone else know that doughnut baseball thing? That didn't look remotely like a doughnut to me.
How do you think the bat was able to go through it? (Answer: a hole in the middle of the circular object.) I blanked on the actual name and knew Life Saver wasn't it, but my response afterward was "oh yeah," not "WTF??" My dad got it without a problem.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:13 am So did anyone else know that doughnut baseball thing? That didn't look remotely like a doughnut to me.
And the thing it was on didn't look like a bat either. No wings, no teeth. The whole clue was bogus. I call shenanigans.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:56 am
And the thing it was on didn't look like a bat either. No wings, no teeth. The whole clue was bogus. I call shenanigans.
No grappling hook, no raspy voice...

But let's go for broke. What if they showed you this, TPH:

Would you call that a donut?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:17 am

Part of it was that I was processing the ring and the bat together and all I could think of was "corn dog".

Looking at the ring by itself I would still say no. Doughnut to me suggests a puffier shape. That thing by itself, I would just call a ring, a Life Saver, something NSFW that you buy from Adam and Eve...

It still seems like an obscure technical thing that most casual baseball fans wouldn't even know of. IMO it'd be like asking in the top box what a diminished seventh chord is.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:42 am
Volante wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:17 am

Part of it was that I was processing the ring and the bat together and all I could think of was "corn dog".

Looking at the ring by itself I would still say no. Doughnut to me suggests a puffier shape. That thing by itself, I would just call a ring, a Life Saver, something NSFW that you buy from Adam and Eve...

It still seems like an obscure technical thing that most casual baseball fans wouldn't even know of. IMO it'd be like asking in the top box what a diminished seventh chord is.
My memory is fuzzy, but I think the clue included an edible TOM, maybe even pastry related. Easy clue for amateur softball league players or parents of kids in sports leagues. Tougher if you have to decide between ring, torus, or donut - therefore the extra food hint.

Something casual baseball fans might not know is what a "fungo" bat is. But donut, no problem.

Oh, and I just remember dim7 as being a "minor minor 7th". Everything that can be flatted, is :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:01 am Oh, and I just remember dim7 as being a "minor minor 7th". Everything that can be flatted, is :).
I think of it as a complete set of quarter-octaves.