Wednesday, November 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by yclept »

Good to see both opponents go all-in on their DDs. You have to know in this situation how James sometimes grabs the board and never lets go of it - so you need to maximize every chance you get.

I was hoping Lindsay, who played well, wouldn’t bet $0 in FJ. Glad she added on to her total and is in good position for a WC berth.

Overall though, James was pretty incredible. The Australia category through him for a loop but he was otherwise on point and, at times, unstoppable.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Foretopman wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:32 am For "ALL" IN $200, I said "stonewall"; can I get a judges ruling on that?
I think I'd give it to you before the next DD, but it's not a slam dunk as I thought it was after looking in the dictionary and thinking.

Webster has "stonewall" as "to engage in obstructive parliamentary debate or delaying tactics". The purpose of a stonewall, however, is not always to get more time - I imagine if you're stonewalling a piece of legislation, it's possible that you're not merely trying to delay it from going into effect in terms of timing - you may be trying to kill it altogether, and the "delaying tactic" is a means to an end.

That said, "stall" is defined as "to play for time, delay" or "to hold off, divert, or delay by evasion or deception" - the first definition does have the issue of gaining more time. If you're stalling, it's implied that whatever is going to happen WILL happen, but you're trying to move it to a later time.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I had no hope on FJ today. Never heard of the lady. No idea where Howard University is. No idea of whatever it was that kept her out of theaters. All I had to go on was singers active in 1939. Not much to work with.

The Not Australia category had me initially thinking New Zealand. Took me 2 clues to get that wrong idea out of my head and figure out the category.

I have a particular hatred for categories like the initials to numbers one. It takes a couple of clues to figure out what they're doing. Then the whole thing becomes less about trivia and more about puzzle solving. They also tend to play slowly, interrupting the flow of the game.
--Peter
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:39 am
Foretopman wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:32 am For "ALL" IN $200, I said "stonewall"; can I get a judges ruling on that?
I think I'd give it to you before the next DD, but it's not a slam dunk as I thought it was after looking in the dictionary and thinking.
Thanks. It's not like it makes any kind of difference to anything; I just like to know that I'm not completely off base
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

This was definitely my weakest board so far in the ToC. And it serves as a reminder that I need to get a lot better on recent stand-up comedy knowledge. It’s just not something I watch that much of. I seem to be better in the 90s-2000s, when apparently every standup comic got a sitcom deal at some point.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

I had Marian Anderson, but crossed it out and went with Ella Fitzgerald. Though Anderson came to me fairly quickly, I succumbed to my nagging suspicion that it was someone else instead. :oops:

On the bright side, I had my best performance of the tournament so far, though as a whole, these tournament boards are kicking my behind. Maybe it's just me, but this material somehow seems tougher than last year's All Star Games. There's been a lot of science & technology and Americana categories so far that aren't in any of my wheelhouses. At least we got an Initials to Roman Numerals to Numbers category, though. I was wondering when that would make a return appearance.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

merica wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:31 am
True North wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:24 pm Glad he enjoys Mark Stone, my team basically gave him to Vegas at the trade deadline last year and I’m still not over it.
Your team wasn't going to re-sign Stone, so I think the Senators made out pretty well for trading a "rental player". That said, didn't Stone sign an extension with Vegas about 10 minutes after he was traded?
I don't expect to have my sad hockey fandom triggered on Jeopardy, but here we are. Senators fans have a lot to complain about, and losing Mark Stone because the team's owner wouldn't open his wallet is a major one.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Alan is very tall. How tall? On a rewatch, I noticed that the producers didn’t even try to raise up James and Lindsey to his great height

Also noticed Lindsey has tamed the wild buzzer technique that caused such an uproar on social media. She’s got the thing held tight in two hands with limited extraneous movement

Also noticed James a split second too late on the mendicant clue. Just as it clicked for him, Lindsey’s lights went on
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:40 am Coryat: 33,800
46 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (none)

I was between Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald for the first half of the Think Music, but then I remembered Marian Anderson. I didn't know the whole story, but I knew that she was a black singer associated with Washington, D.C., and that was enough. Much, much harder than the other two FJ!s so far this week.

Taking It's Not Australia backwards cost me my one LT opportunity on the night. I was pretty sure it was Andorra, but I didn't yet realize that the category was about other A______a countries. Same with the $800 clue, where an understanding of the category would have allowed me to choose confidently between Armenia and Azerbaijan
Oh good, I feel better now about guessing Billie Holliday for FJ.
Same for Not Australia but got Armenia, then figured out the theme.
But on the Amundsen negbait
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

DBear wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:58 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:40 am
I was between Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald for the first half of the Think Music, but then I remembered Marian Anderson.
Glad I wasn't the only one. But it doesn't make me feel a whole lot better. My wife is always far too gleeful when she picks up a an FJ I miss. Though she did start out with, "the one who sang at the Lincoln Memorial" she pulled the name in the nick of time.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey

Post by davey »

Considering that the show considered "stall" and "stonewall" as close synonyms only a week ago, I don't think there's any question.

BET IT ALL $600
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... =stonewall

I'm surprised that Paul Robeson has not been mentioned for FJ. Not only did he face prohibitions against African-Americans, his political opinions closed doors to him. It was possible that he faced a controversy in 1939....I think it was only the "outdoor venue" reference that led me to go the right way on the clue.
I wondered why, if it was "this singer's yearly concert," what had changed from the year before. Looking at other sources, I'm not sure it was her yearly concert. It was part of a Howard University series, and since Anderson, already famous, was the guest, they needed to accommodate a bigger audience off-campus...
https://www.npr.org/2014/04/09/29876047 ... r-a-nation
EDIT:
This site clarifies that Anderson had appeared for Howard University each year since 1936, to larger and larger audiences.
https://www.fdrlibrary.org/anderson
Last edited by davey on Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

davey wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:12 am
Considering that the show considered "stall" and "stonewall" as close synonyms only a week ago, I don't think there's any question.

BET IT ALL $600
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... =stonewall
Ah! that probably explains why that response bubbled to the top of my mind so readily. Thanks!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Given how many concerts I've seen at DAR Constitution Hall, as well as my kids' graduations, I'm quite familiar with their refusing to allow Marian Anderson to sing there. I did not know, however, that it was at Howard U's invitation, but everything else fit.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:27 pm I did not know, however, that it was at Howard U's invitation, but everything else fit.
I got as far as HBCU in Washington, D.C., but didn't know where to go from there.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:21 pm
DBear wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:58 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:40 am
I was between Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald for the first half of the Think Music, but then I remembered Marian Anderson.
Glad I wasn't the only one. But it doesn't make me feel a whole lot better. My wife is always far too gleeful when she picks up a an FJ I miss. Though she did start out with, "the one who sang at the Lincoln Memorial" she pulled the name in the nick of time.
Me: Oh, easy peasy, it's Marian ..... Jones - no, that's the track star. It's Marian...........
Brain: Jones. No. Jones. No. Jones. No. Jones. No. Jones. No. Disengage. Reboot fail. 404 - file not found.
Buzzer: Yeah, still not Jones :cry:

Because of travel, I binge watched the whole week last night so I'm not sure which game the radioactive category came up with the DD (end of potential spoiler alert):[image=]
Spoiler
This is a wheelhouse for me, but no way I connect the dots to Ra and Po as the same year. Did anyone get this wicked clue? I wonder where it would have left James if he got this clue and missed it with his normal all-in play?
. It's taking longer to binge read the week's boards than it did to blitz through the games, lol..
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Loved James' Las Vegas sign and going to "All In" for $1,000 first. And "Let's make it a truly disappointing $1,109."

I don't remember Dr. Phil being a contestant...

====

Was really tired Wednesday and then out of town the rest of the week.

Surprisingly, all but $1,000 in Reality TV.

I've heard the word "wallflower" but never grasped its meaning.

Beggar was my only miss in After Bedtime. I knew "Begin the Beguine" from "Under the Sea".

0/5 in Science & Exploration.

Got it down to "obviously an African-American singer" but couldn't narrow it down any further. My brain was just a total blank trying to pull black singers from the era. Absolute NHOI on the correct response.