Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by teapot37 »

Note that "Black Holes and Revelations" is the title of an album by the rock band Muse.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

That was a TOC FJ? I would expect that to be a trigger in a college tournament. Surprised at the number of posters who already said they missed it. :o
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

i guess fenster didn't remember the alamo
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

never heard of that khan character
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

got all of the celebrities clues accept for the top box clue...never heard of that person
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DBear wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:35 pm That was a TOC FJ? I would expect that to be a trigger in a college tournament. Surprised at the number of posters who already said they missed it. :o
maybe not all of us are tournament of champions material...never heard of that character before
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:47 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:35 pm That was a TOC FJ? I would expect that to be a trigger in a college tournament. Surprised at the number of posters who already said they missed it. :o
maybe not all of us are tournament of champions material...never heard of that character before
Previous usage:
#7957, aired 2019-03-26 LITERARY ANTAGONISTS $1600: This "Jungle Book" tiger schemes to defeat the wolf pack & claim the life of young Mowgli

J! likes Kipling, his works and his characters

Zendaya came up about a year ago. J! has yet to use her HBO show, Euphoria.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Of course, I'm familiar with Jungle Book, but I couldn't tell you all the characters' names. This was one of those instances.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:01 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:47 pm
Previous usage:
#7957, aired 2019-03-26 LITERARY ANTAGONISTS $1600: This "Jungle Book" tiger schemes to defeat the wolf pack & claim the life of young Mowgli

J! likes Kipling, his works and his characters

Zendaya came up about a year ago. J! has yet to use her HBO show, Euphoria.
why was she a top box? never heard of her..kesha probably should have been the top box...i mean...how many celebrities used the dollar sign in their name?
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:33 pm Note that "Black Holes and Revelations" is the title of an album by the rock band Muse.
I heard "Black Holes" as category 5 and yelped out, "PLEASE be 'Revelations'!" One of my favorite albums of all time.

Glad they also worked "supermassive black hole" into a clue (track #3 on the album)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I thought this was a week of softballs FJ-wise.

As sorry as I am to see Eric and Josh eliminated, I hope they at least get some comfort out of knowing that, with pre-FJ scores below $13,601, they were only done in by incorrect responses and not wagers.

Francois's $8,000 DD wager was ridiculous at that juncture, but I admit I was satisfied to see him displace James as the high scorer this week.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

trainman wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:44 pm Zendaya is Meechee.
after having seen that i guess i can delete smallfoot from my dvr...awful
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:45 pm I thought this was a week of softballs FJ-wise.

As sorry as I am to see Eric and Josh eliminated, I hope they at least get some comfort out of knowing that, with pre-FJ scores below $13,601, they were only done in by incorrect responses and not wagers.

Francois's $8,000 DD wager was ridiculous at that juncture, but I admit I was satisfied to see him displace James as the high scorer this week.
James would look very strange in the middle if the powers put Francois against him in the semis.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

It's interesting to see the tournie winners win their QF games here. That doesn't happen too often anymore, does it? Usually the TT and CC champs seem to struggle in ToCs.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Impressive win by Francois. Another easy-peasy FJ.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I finally had this meme out of my head until J! put it back there. My out loud response was "Why is Zendaya Meechee?"

Never read the Jungle Book, and haven't seen the movie DEFINITELY since I was 10, and probably not since I was like 5 or 6, if I even saw it at all. Yet, somehow I knew from the clue - maybe it was the year, maybe it was "tiger" - that it was Jungle Book. Baloo and Mowgli ring a bell, but Shere Khan? Nope. Even if I'd figured out that "Khan" meant "king" from Gengis, Kubla, Star Trek, or Chaka, the first name wasn't coming to me. Dismissing Baloo as a bear, and not coming up with Mowgli in time, I went with Tar-zan.

Didn't we have an FDR/Warm Springs/March of Dimes question earlier this season? Or maybe it was from an archived game I played. It was also mentioned in a book by John Kerry that I just started.

I muttered "being in a bubble" for "confirmation bias" - I didn't ring in, and I don't think it quite fits the exact clue of "This phrase refers to the tendency to seek out information that supports your existing beliefs while avoiding facts that contradict them". I don't think of "confirmation bias" as being particularly recent - I know I studied it in my social psych class back in 1999. But I've heard the phrase "in the bubble" a lot recently, referring typically to the political sphere, where your view is set in stone and won't change.

I also muttered "Bay of Biscayne" as my best guess for the French-sounding bay. Linguistically close! Geographically...not so much.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

What was the point of that?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:42 pm Welp...that was...a Ryan Fenster game, yesiree. Sheesh. Clearly didn't learn anything about staying clam with the year of prep...yet he still might've pulled out a WC if he had gotten that DD right.
Ryan's just building the suspense, as is his custom. Now we wait for the inevitable reversal and Ryan being brought back to appear in the next TOC.
Spoiler
It will turn out that Jim Bridger ALSO had an "autobiography" published in 1836 that was later shown to be a hoax. And new evidence will arise in 2020 indicating that Bridger actually died in 1836. Jim's twin brother, Brooklyn, then assumed his identity in order to escape creditors. Jim was buried in 1836 under a headstone that bore his brother's name. 45 years later, Brooklyn would be buried next to him in a grave marked James Felix Bridger, 1804-1881. Although Ryan had no way of knowing this at the time of his taping, the judges will still rule that his technically correct response should be acknowledged.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

econgator wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:37 pm
What was the point of that?
It was a meme that caught on when Smallfoot premiered. I guess the idea was the absurdity of the posters proclaiming "Zendaya is Meechee!", when people of a certain age (read: me) would have no idea what that phrase means, and also that Meechee is a new character AFAIK, so NOBODY should know what a Meechee is.