Monday, November 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Monday, November 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:33 pm
mas3cf wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:32 pm I'm surprised they spotted "How the" for the FJ.
It's a lot easier to write three words than five in 30 seconds.
How The Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Lives
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

I did well on this board but I said love instead of charity. Judges?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwdl0DJD2-I
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:46 pm moldau? never heard of it...had they gone with vltava, then i would have got smetana....btw...trebek went with the lame north american pronunciation of semetana and not the local pronunciation as he always does...for some reason he hates asian and eastern euro languages
CasketRomance wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:23 am
Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:57 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:06 pm
DBear wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:40 pm Somehow I picked up from a classical music album that Moldau = Smetana, and that's all I know about him.
Thanks for the SHC.
would have got it had they not used the german title for the piece and used vltava....i am more familiar with vyshehrad than that one..when i went to uni in prague i lived in the area called vyshehrad
The clue I submitted was "The Moldau (Vltava)". I had the opportunity to spend a few days in Prague in May and crossed the Vltava several times. I went to a Prague Spring Festival concert at the Municipal House. We were told that the Festival always opens with a complete performance of Ma Vlast (that's not the concert I went to, though). Also went to the Dvorak and Smetana museums.
sounds nice...wish they would have used your clue
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

soxfan99 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:40 pm Would just "cert" have been accepted for certiorari? I'm not sure I would have risked bungling the pronunciation of the full word, but I knew it was a "writ of cert," which is a pretty common phrasing of it.
Almost certainly. When the Supreme Court decides not to hear a case, you usually hear about is as 'cert. denied'.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Anyone else go for "grandiloquent" rather than "ostentatious?" I'm assuming it would count.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:10 pm Anyone else go for "grandiloquent" rather than "ostentatious?" I'm assuming it would count.
Nice alternate. Count it.

(and as Sg alluded to above, this would have been the better one to use).
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I will be checking the box in the weekly poll stating that I teared up at Dhruv's FJ response.

Pancreatic cancer can throw you curveballs. I found out today that I have to do another three months of chemo in order to be operable. But my long term survival chances will be quite good after that. I'm amazed at how well Alex is performing during this TOC; he's authoritative.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

harrumph wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:14 pm I will be checking the box in the weekly poll stating that I teared up at Dhruv's FJ response.

Pancreatic cancer can throw you curveballs. I found out today that I have to do another three months of chemo in order to be operable. But my long term survival chances will be quite good after that. I'm amazed at how well Alex is performing during this TOC; he's authoritative.
Good luck harrumph. Stay strong!
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:20 pm Kyle, as a music teacher, lost a few points with me for not knowing Smetana composed The Moldau--that's pretty well-known.
You'll be disappointed to hear that I'm a music teacher and also missed it. I've heard of the piece, certainly, but on this clue got only as far as "Moldau...that's Czech, but 1875 is a bit early for Dvorak...it's the other one, what the hell is his name..."

I wrote my undergraduate thesis on Leonard Bernstein's Songfest (and attended many of the centennial celebrations last year), so after Kyle's interview I was all in for him. And I really thought he had won it, because Emma seemed vexed during the think music. After reading this thread, I'm guessing she was just agonizing over "lives" vs. "live."
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:48 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:46 pm moldau? never heard of it...had they gone with vltava, then i would have got smetana....btw...trebek went with the lame north american pronunciation of semetana and not the local pronunciation as he always does...for some reason he hates asian and eastern euro languages
CasketRomance wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:23 am
Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:57 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:06 pm
DBear wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:40 pm Somehow I picked up from a classical music album that Moldau = Smetana, and that's all I know about him.
Thanks for the SHC.
would have got it had they not used the german title for the piece and used vltava....i am more familiar with vyshehrad than that one..when i went to uni in prague i lived in the area called vyshehrad
The clue I submitted was "The Moldau (Vltava)". I had the opportunity to spend a few days in Prague in May and crossed the Vltava several times. I went to a Prague Spring Festival concert at the Municipal House. We were told that the Festival always opens with a complete performance of Ma Vlast (that's not the concert I went to, though). Also went to the Dvorak and Smetana museums.
sounds nice...wish they would have used your clue
so apparently moldau was used about a year ago in the summer hiatus game and i didn't retain that information...just doesn't stick..i do recall saying that now that you brought it up
Last edited by CasketRomance on Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:48 pm I did well on this board but I said love instead of charity. Judges?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwdl0DJD2-I
No, because King James Sayeth "charity."
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

A Wray wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:21 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:20 pm Kyle, as a music teacher, lost a few points with me for not knowing Smetana composed The Moldau--that's pretty well-known.
You'll be disappointed to hear that I'm a music teacher and also missed it. I've heard of the piece, certainly, but on this clue got only as far as "Moldau...that's Czech, but 1875 is a bit early for Dvorak...it's the other one, what the hell is his name..."

I wrote my undergraduate thesis on Leonard Bernstein's Songfest (and attended many of the centennial celebrations last year), so after Kyle's interview I was all in for him. And I really thought he had won it, because Emma seemed vexed during the think music. After reading this thread, I'm guessing she was just agonizing over "lives" vs. "live."
but it is german

just remember that smetana is sour cream in most slavic languages and the other dude is named sour cream...recall that way
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

John Boy wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:10 pm PS I just realized that my beloved Cleveland Browns will be playing the Steelers on Thursday night, meaning likely a preemption, damn it all!
Fear not: the Browns game will be on Fox 8, not CBS 19. :) And I also got writ of certiorari, although it's debatable whether that's because I fully understood the clue or have just heard the phrase so many times on true crime podcasts it's now a pavlov for "writ of..."
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

harrumph wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:14 pm I will be checking the box in the weekly poll stating that I teared up at Dhruv's FJ response.
Before the Pacific time zone airings, it was pretty well spoiled on social media that there was an FJ! response that made Alex choke up, so I think I was too "prepared" for it to have a full impact on me.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

soxfan99 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:40 pmWould just "cert" have been accepted for certiorari?
Only if you pronounce the period. :D
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:29 pm
A Wray wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:21 pm You'll be disappointed to hear that I'm a music teacher and also missed it. I've heard of the piece, certainly, but on this clue got only as far as "Moldau...that's Czech, but 1875 is a bit early for Dvorak...it's the other one, what the hell is his name..."
but it is german
The river is Czech.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

A Wray wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:40 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:29 pm
A Wray wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:21 pm You'll be disappointed to hear that I'm a music teacher and also missed it. I've heard of the piece, certainly, but on this clue got only as far as "Moldau...that's Czech, but 1875 is a bit early for Dvorak...it's the other one, what the hell is his name..."
but it is german
The river is Czech.
i guess if you know what the germans call the river you would know it was in the czech republic...the word is not czech thpough...vltava is the czech word for that river
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Fun fact: if Yu Darvish married Emma Boettcher and took her last name he would be Yu Boettcher.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed the Bottom Two in Government and Politics, and Expressions and Idioms $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Arkansas), Malaysia, Basketball, Soccer, Ice Hockey, Ostentatious, (John Nash), Blaise Pascal, Bedrich Smetana, The King of Comedy, Caddyshack

One of the J!6 clues today was also on this week's episode of University Challenge. The question was Welshman William Jones and the number Pi.

Druv was 18 years off for Milton Friedman.

Kind of strange that Johann Bernoulli was answered but not Blaise Pascal. Computer language should have even been a giveaway.

If Emma wins the Tournament, she will be the first woman since Celeste DiNucci to win the ToC, and the first 3Xer since Michael Falk to win the ToC.
Douglas Squasoni
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

John Boy wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:10 pm
PS I just realized that my beloved Cleveland Browns will be playing the Steelers on Thursday night, meaning likely a preemption, damn it all!
The way the Brownies are playing, it would be a win-win for them to preempt the game for Jeopardy! But do beat those pompous Steelers, please!!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.