Tuesday, November 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Board
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Board
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. DEMOGRAPHICS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2018 Forbes said this "Belt’s Demographic Delight is" this other “Belt’s Demograpic Dilemma"

James Holzhauer: 30466-310=30156 (Finalist)
Steven Grade: 11400-0=11400
Rachel Lindgren: 7200-0=7200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Sun & Rust (James – Sun Bible & Rust) (Steven – Thanks for having me back!) (Rachel – Green & Rust)

Daily Doubles
James: 0+1000
Rachel: 3200+3200
James: 14200+9066

Coryats
James: 22600
Steven: 11400
Rachel: 5600

Combined: 39,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 9000
Steven: 4600
Rachel: 3200
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

James signed in with his "A" a triangle. Dark Side of the Moon tribute?

Alex had to make another correction and fortunately it was nothing to do with scores.

Chat 3 began with, "James Holzhauer is our champion, ladies and gentlemen."

Before revealing the DJ! categories: "I'm sorry. He's just one of the contestants in this semifinal."

At times James did play like any other contestant as he was shaky at times with uncertainty for responses, not knowing clues and not always right when responding. Even if Steven had managed to prevent the lock it would not have mattered with the TS clue.

Nice work by Rachel in her two games to earn a respectable Silver rating.

0/2 for me on the FJ! clue although I at least understood to have two things. Bible & Corn were my guesses to have something I associate with "Belt." I've heard of the correct ones though at no point they either occur to me during think time.

The powers set up this ToC with the possibility of a James vs. Emma rematch and voilà it's happens. As needed to happen James and Emma did their own heavy lifting in the semis to cinch it. Well done all around.

Note: Testimony is scheduled for 10:00 eastern tomorrow morning, so no early airing of J! unless some affiliate goes rogue. Be ready for delays of reports here, TJF, Reddit, Fikkle, etc. Things will get posted when they can. It may be the same on Friday as well.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I missed they were looking for 2 belts (read the recap, instead of waiting for game to air), but wouldn't have gotten Sun Belt anyway. Correctly guessed Rust over Bible. Not a fan of this clue. Feels arbitrary.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:19 am I missed they were looking for 2 belts (read the recap, instead of waiting for game to air), but wouldn't have gotten Sun Belt anyway. Correctly guessed Rust over Bible. Not a fan of this clue. Feels arbitrary.
Second. I eventually gathered that they were looking for two belts, but didn't pick the right ones. Figuring out the type of response they were looking for ate away a bunch of my time.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Didn't have any trouble with it, probably because I've spent most of my life in areas where the influx of people from the NE states is constant and often-discussed by the natives. Surprised that James switched his answer. Wonder how often that pans out for anyone.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I thought they were looking for a food belt because of a reference to a literal belt expansion and for some reason, thought first of the Jello Belt (Mormons). I could not dig myself out of this hole.

If it takes longer than two seconds to parse the clue, it's a stinker in my book.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:19 am Not a fan of this clue. Feels arbitrary.
Ditto. There's probably a way to figure out they wanted Sun instead of Bible (retirees? educated nest-leavers?), but James couldn't figure it out in time, and I couldn't, either.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:00 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:19 am Not a fan of this clue. Feels arbitrary.
Ditto. There's probably a way to figure out they wanted Sun instead of Bible (retirees? educated nest-leavers?), but James couldn't figure it out in time, and I couldn't, either.
I just did a Google search, and apparently the Bible belt reaches further north than the Sun Belt. So I guess if in the 30 seconds you could:

1. Parse the clue, and
2. recognize that the Bible belt includes places like Missouri that aren't exactly hotbeds for retirees

it is theoretically doable. The fact that James didn't get it says a lot in my book.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Except the clue was not just about population, it was about demographics, and, in fact, the article says nothing about retirees, it's more about the flight of educated Millenials. I live in the Rust Belt and I've known as many, no, more friends that moved South than West.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:16 pm Except the clue was not just about population, it was about demographics, and, in fact, the article says nothing about retirees, it's more about the flight of educated Millenials. I live in the Rust Belt and I've known as many, no, more friends that moved South than West.
Good point. I read "retirees" into it, but it absolutely didn't say that.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Not a fan of the clue either. But I tend to think the pin is Forbes, obviously an economic publication. The Bible Belt has little to do with economics while both the Sun and Rust Belts do with their opposite economic status, workers vs. retirees. Or however one wants to imagine it.

FYI, the game recap has Steven as finding DD3.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Golf wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:25 pmThe Bible Belt has little to do with economics while both the Sun and Rust Belts do with their opposite economic status, workers vs. retirees.
I agree "Bible Belt" has a greater cultural than economic connotation but on the other hand it's also just a shorthand for the geographic area corresponding to "the South, minus South Florida". The difference between the Sun Belt and the Bible Belt (in set operations terms) is the Southwest. Also, I already said it, but the article is not about the worker vs. retiree distinction but rather the struggle of the Rust Belt to prevent and reverse brain drain. In this context James's coin flip was eminently reasonable.

But not every ToC FJ! can be a gimme.
theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

Golf wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:25 pm Not a fan of the clue either. But I tend to think the pin is Forbes, obviously an economic publication. The Bible Belt has little to do with economics while both the Sun and Rust Belts do with their opposite economic status, workers vs. retirees. Or however one wants to imagine it.

FYI, the game recap has Steven as finding DD3.
Yes, James for DD3, obviously with that wager. Fixed, thanks. Game is complete in the Archive.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

When Rachel doubled up on DD2 I was beginning to worry that she could upset James, but then as usual he came firing right back and cruised to a runaway. Truly brilliant.

And now the James-Emma rematch is official! The only question that remains, of course, is who will be the third competitor in this epic matchup of the decade?
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I was a little surprised to see this TS in final. When I think of major beneficiaries of this internal migration, I think of Arizona and Nevada, and those don't signal 'Bible Belt' to me.

I was very excited to get one that James got wrong, but then thought maybe this was gamesmanship. In a similar nothing-to-lose situation, I can think of at least one past champ who would be likely to give no answer, or an intentionally incorrect one.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

Hugo Z wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:50 am Didn't have any trouble with it, probably because I've spent most of my life in areas where the influx of people from the NE states is constant and often-discussed by the natives. Surprised that James switched his answer. Wonder how often that pans out for anyone.
He didn't actually switch. He had Bible & Rust written on the same level and then below Bible he had Sun which he crossed over. So looks like he was going to switch to Sun but decided not to. Or perhaps he had them both down from the get go and just crossed one over once he made a decision.
AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Post by AlphaDummy »

Guessed the right two, but flipped the sequence. Given the wording of the question, I would assume that this would be a case of "close, but..."
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Some ironic timing for the COMMUNICATION $1200 clue, with Ken Rosenthal of The Atlantic breaking his story about the '17 Astros this afternoon...
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan