Tuesday, November 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, November 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf »

I got $3600 in LT in a James game! Should I frame my scoresheet in oak or maple?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I don't often post just to brag that I got a tough clue, but there is always that exceptional case. It helped that I was reminded of the "sun belt" in last week's "polymath" puzzle in the Financial Times, because it wasn't a very fresh memory. My reasoning (such as it was) was that the sun belt is full of retirees and the rust belt full of unemployed steel workers, and so each group's desperately needed benefits are threatened by the other's.
I'm smart and I want respect.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I got an FJ right that James missed! It was only his 2nd incorrect FJ response in 35 games including this TOC.

Emma was very strong yesterday . . . and then there was James today. IMO he showed why he's still the clear favorite in the dream rematch in the final round. Even looking a ittle shaky at times, and on tough boards, he turned a freaking TOC semifinal into another Jeopardy! James runaway.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:23 pm Some ironic timing for the COMMUNICATION $1200 clue, with Ken Rosenthal of The Atlantic breaking his story about the '17 Astros this afternoon...

I said that as soon as the clue came up. Baseball Reddit was all over how the Giants’ telescope in 1951 was also about hosing the Dodgers, just like the Astros’ magic trash can.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

0/5 in Hail Caesar!, Football, and Naval Gazing.

You'd think mammals would be a wheelhouse for me, but I've honestly NHO peccary or eland.

All but "xiphoid" in X's and O's and "Stealing signs" (NHOI) in Communication.

What was the TOM for "Toyko" on the top box? "Narita" sounds like it could be from literally anywhere.

3/5 in Lyrics. I love $400 and $1,200, haven't heard $800 or $2,000, and hate $1,600.

Rust and uhhhh... ARE there any other belts? No, I can't think of any. NHO "sun belt".
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:31 pm Rust and uhhhh... ARE there any other belts? No, I can't think of any. NHO "sun belt".
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACY ... CAs&uact=5

That's over 3 million hits, granting that some of the results are athletic in nature
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:35 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:31 pm Rust and uhhhh... ARE there any other belts? No, I can't think of any. NHO "sun belt".
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACY ... CAs&uact=5

That's over 3 million hits, granting that some of the results are athletic in nature
That was what threw me. None of the first few hits were geographic in nature. Just typing "sun belt" into Wikipedia did the trick though.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I always thought of the sun belt being only the southwest, didn't realize it was a lot of the south. That makes more sense than the Bible belt I guess as well, since the Bible belt intersects the sun belt, at least in my mind.
mgiusto
Contributor

Post by mgiusto »

Is there a Championship Game on Friday? Who would qualify for that one? Would it just be two people on that show, the 1st place from Thursday and the runner-up? If so, James and Emma could matchup again on Friday if things play out right.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

goongas wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:47 pm I always thought of the sun belt being only the southwest, didn't realize it was a lot of the south. That makes more sense than the Bible belt I guess as well, since the Bible belt intersects the sun belt, at least in my mind.
There's some overlap, but the Bible Belt basically doesn't extend further west than Texas.

Fun fact: there's also an Unchurched Belt!
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

mgiusto wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:59 pm Is there a Championship Game on Friday? Who would qualify for that one? Would it just be two people on that show, the 1st place from Thursday and the runner-up? If so, James and Emma could matchup again on Friday if things play out right.
As with all J! Tournaments, the Final is over two days: Thursday and Friday.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $22,200 (31R, 2W)
DD: 0/3
FJ: :(
LT: comitatus

Ugh. My worst game in months. I ran Communication in DJ but only managed 8 other corrects in that round.

James is an absolute machine, I couldn’t believe how he ripped through those airports I’d mostly never heard of (among other things).

I also said rust and Bible belts, I knew Bible was probably wrong but no other belts were coming to me.
Last edited by True North on Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mgiusto
Contributor

Post by mgiusto »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:05 pm
mgiusto wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:59 pm Is there a Championship Game on Friday? Who would qualify for that one? Would it just be two people on that show, the 1st place from Thursday and the runner-up? If so, James and Emma could matchup again on Friday if things play out right.
Thanks Calin, I went and checked the archive and saw in season 34 that it's the same 3 finalists in a two-game death match, Thanks!
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

mgiusto wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:06 pm
CailinGaoilge wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:05 pm
Thanks Calin, I went and checked the archive and saw in season 34 that it's the same 3 finalists in a two-game death match, Thanks!
The finals have always been a two-game affair, and the totals from both games get added up to determine the champion and the runners-up.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Would rust and sun in the wrong order have been ruled incorrect? Is there any precedent for an FJ clue requiring two responses to be given in a specific order?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I said Bible and Rust. I think this will make the toughest FJs of the season. :x
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Was this taped at the Jeopardy studio or the Bonneville Salt Flats? All I kept hearing was vroom vroom! Not just from one contestant, but all three, although the Bugatti sustained it longer.
Who else sang "ThunderBALLLL" in their living room and held that note until they fainted?
A possibly unbreakable record of consecutive FJ's has ended. I misunderstood the clue and thought they were looking for only one "belt." :oops: Not only that, I picked the wrong one, as I thought the "diversity" of the Bible Belt was being connected to the "dilemma" (more overt racism in the South).
Hoping for a third lap
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Rachel got the first DD in DJ, and then went back to the same category, which cost her any chance at the win against James.

Count me as someone who had trouble parsing FJ, didn't think it was a good clue, but nonetheless got it right.

I'm proud of my comitatus get.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AlphaDummy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:18 pm Guessed the right two, but flipped the sequence. Given the wording of the question, I would assume that this would be a case of "close, but..."
Actually, I think they'd give it to you. But maybe I'm wrong.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

It was a low-value clue and made no difference in the game, but the pedant in me has to say that I think Rachel got away with one when she was given credit for a correct answer of "outsourcing" in reply to the clue "It's the practice of sending U.S. jobs overseas."

Outsourcing is taking certain functions out of an organization and hiring an external company to do those jobs. A minority of the time the jobs leave the country, but most outsourced jobs move to a domestic company without leaving the U.S. The actual correct answer to the clue would be "offshoring," which actually does eliminate domestic jobs by having those jobs performed in another country.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.