Tuesday, November 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, November 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alamble »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:08 am James signed in with his "A" a triangle. Dark Side of the Moon tribute?
I think that's actually a pyramid, which would make it a nod to the Luxor.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Outsourcing is taking certain functions out of an organization and hiring an external company to do those jobs. A minority of the time the jobs leave the country, but most outsourced jobs move to a domestic company without leaving the U.S. The actual correct answer to the clue would be "offshoring," which actually does eliminate domestic jobs by having those jobs performed in another country.
I said offshoring as well, and I think offshoring is more correct. They would have accepted offshoring.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I got a bit lucky on FJ!.

I said "crucial" for "crux". Judges? The clue doesn't seem to call specifically for the noun vs. the adjective. I got "posse comitatus" because I've been doing a JAG rewatch and it was the title of one of the episodes.

Rooting for Francois tomorrow, but anything can happen. As Mark put it, Lindsey is "scrappy".
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:23 pm Some ironic timing for the COMMUNICATION $1200 clue, with Ken Rosenthal of The Atlantic breaking his story about the '17 Astros this afternoon...
you mean The Athletic
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:31 pm 0/5 in Hail Caesar!, Football, and Naval Gazing.

You'd think mammals would be a wheelhouse for me, but I've honestly NHO peccary or eland.

All but "xiphoid" in X's and O's and "Stealing signs" (NHOI) in Communication.

What was the TOM for "Toyko" on the top box? "Narita" sounds like it could be from literally anywhere.

3/5 in Lyrics. I love $400 and $1,200, haven't heard $800 or $2,000, and hate $1,600.

Rust and uhhhh... ARE there any other belts? No, I can't think of any. NHO "sun belt".
the sun belt is a ncaa conference...outside of that i had never heard of the sun belt for a region..well until 3 days when ago when i reading something and it came up...allowed me to get this final jeopardy clue
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

I found this FJ pretty straightforward and don't understand the criticisms. The fastest-growing region by far is the Southwest, which, as others have mentioned, isn't part of the Bible Belt. And many Southern states are actually growing at slower-than-average rates. Here's a map of projected population change from 2010 to 2020:

https://polidata.org/census/CP1018CA.pdf

Plus, when people talk about in-migration, they're much more likely to refer to the Sun Belt than to the Bible Belt. Few people move to the South because it's religious. But many many people move there because it's warm.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

goongas wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:05 pm
Outsourcing is taking certain functions out of an organization and hiring an external company to do those jobs. A minority of the time the jobs leave the country, but most outsourced jobs move to a domestic company without leaving the U.S. The actual correct answer to the clue would be "offshoring," which actually does eliminate domestic jobs by having those jobs performed in another country.
I said offshoring as well, and I think offshoring is more correct. They would have accepted offshoring.
I don't doubt that offshoring would have been accepted, but I see nothing wrong with the judges having accepted outsourcing (which happened to be my response).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Missed The Bottom Two in Fantasy Football(Not so great.), My Favorite Year(Have heard of it though.), and Stealing Signs.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :oops:
LT: Comitatus, China, The Confessions of Nat Turner, White Teeth, Thunderball, Convoy
Douglas Squasoni
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:55 pm 56 R (Missed The Bottom Two in Fantasy Football(Not so great.), My Favorite Year(Have heard of it though.), and Stealing Signs.)
LT: Comitatus, China, The Confessions of Nat Turner, White Teeth, Thunderball, Convoy
When was the last time you missed an FJ?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

JayK33 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:59 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:55 pm 56 R (Missed The Bottom Two in Fantasy Football(Not so great.), My Favorite Year(Have heard of it though.), and Stealing Signs.)
When was the last time you missed an FJ?
July 2: Jury or Jerry-Rigged
Douglas Squasoni
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

I'd like to second Alex's recommendation of My Favorite Year to everyone who hasn't seen it. (And judging by the Fourth Podium poll, that's a lot of you.) One of the great underrated comedies of all-time, with an utterly fantastic performance from Peter O'Toole.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

True North wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:06 pm I also said rust and Bible belts, I knew Bible was probably wrong but no other belts were coming to me.
Ditto. If I knew of the Sun Belt, I definitely would've switched to that. Rust was the easy one...
jev15 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:07 am I'd like to second Alex's recommendation of My Favorite Year to everyone who hasn't seen it. (And judging by the Fourth Podium poll, that's a lot of you.) One of the great underrated comedies of all-time, with an utterly fantastic performance from Peter O'Toole.
31 weeks assuming I stick to my schedule of 2 discs a week from Netflix...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alamble wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:52 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:08 am James signed in with his "A" a triangle. Dark Side of the Moon tribute?
I think that's actually a pyramid, which would make it a nod to the Luxor.
Yeah, that was my assumption.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I got Sun Belt right away and then was trying to decide whether the other one was rust belt or snow belt. The term Rust Belt honestly doesn't get used as much as it used to, because in most cases it's been so long since there was industry in that area. The term snow belt refers to the whole North, including some places that we're never Industrial powerhouses. But since the source was Forbes, I decided Rust Belt would make more sense than snow belt. So I beat the three contestants.

I said Outsourcing and I disagree with our retired CPO. The term Outsourcing is well understood to mean sending jobs out of the country. Contrast it with insourcing, used to refer to hiring foreigners to replace American workers. I do agree that offshoring also would be acceptable.

I also ran airports. It seems like we've also had categories in the past referring to them by their three letters.

I've not seen the movie My Favorite Year but I am familiar with the song written by Brourman and Gottlieb.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:11 pm I got a bit lucky on FJ!.

I said "crucial" for "crux". Judges? The clue doesn't seem to call specifically for the noun vs. the adjective.
Sorry, since it asks for a correlative to "cross" and "point," I'd say it does.

I really found this FJ tough to parse. I ended up with "Bible" and "Beltway", taking it as a political statement about conservatives vs D.C. liberals...or something like that... :roll:
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Here's Alanis's (dare I call it ironic?) version of "My Humps":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRmYfVCH2UA

And here's the original from the Black-Eyed Peas, which... lacks subtlety:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEe_eraFWWs
In and out of the pool four times
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

what? i got a final jeopardy clue correct and you missed it? world might end
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 26,600
43 R/4 W
LT: comitatus

Great job by Rachel of finding DD2 and doubling up, but staying in the one category where DD3 was guaranteed not to be was a fatal error. Great job by James of putting the hammer down and dominating.

I might have gotten this FJ! on stage, but I was a little too flippant with it at home. I immediately wrote down Bible Belt and Rust Belt and zoned out for the rest of the Think Music. As it ended, I zoned back in and realized that Sun Belt was a more likely term in the context of a Forbes article. Dang.

I also couldn't remember the exact title of the Nat Turner novel, missed the Michael/Gabriel archangel coin flip, and forgot all about Fatima. I need to study up on the major Virgin Mary vision sites (Fatima, Lourdes, and Guadalupe). I did know posse comitatus, though, and any LT in a Holzhauer game is good LT.

Embarrassing miss: for the "unreliable nighttime communication," I went with drunk-texting.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:31 pm What was the TOM for "Toyko" on the top box? "Narita" sounds like it could be from literally anywhere.
No, it doesn't. The fact that you don't recognize linguistic clues doesn't mean that they don't exist.
AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:48 pm It was a low-value clue and made no difference in the game, but the pedant in me has to say that I think Rachel got away with one when she was given credit for a correct answer of "outsourcing" in reply to the clue "It's the practice of sending U.S. jobs overseas."

I agree 100%, but this is one of those cases where the incorrect usage of a term has become so pervasive that it has become an accepted definition of that term.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:44 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:31 pm What was the TOM for "Toyko" on the top box? "Narita" sounds like it could be from literally anywhere.
No, it doesn't. The fact that you don't recognize linguistic clues doesn't mean that they don't exist.
Let's not complicate this with linguistics; the TOM is that Narita is Tokyo's international airport.

My first FJ miss of the tournament. I recognized that the Bible Belt wouldn't really be relevant to Forbes and therefore avoided it, but the only non-Rust belt I could name was the Corn Belt, so Rust and Corn it was.

If Steven had gotten Fatima, found the last DD, and doubled up, James still would have led into FJ, but by little enough that Steven would have been the one to benefit from the TS. (Just doubling the $4,600 he had at the start of DJ would have been enough, but he had to add some amount to that in the first place to get a DD.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:35 am I said Outsourcing and I disagree with our retired CPO.
I disagree with you calling him a CPO. ;)