Wednesday, November 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Mathew5000
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Mathew5000 »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:16 am Lindsay actually underbet, wagering to get a dollar ahead of Francois rather than cover Gilbert. A cover wager would have knocked her to $9,599.
With Lindsey's wager of $4,601, she has:
-certain win if WRW
-very probable win if WWW
-barely probable win if WRR
-possible but unlikely win if WWR
-almost certain loss if RRR or RRW,
-certain loss if RWR or RWW

Whereas if Lindsey had wagered $7,801 to cover Gilbert, she would have had:
-certain win if WRW or WRR
-possible win if WWW
-barely possible win if RRR or RRW
-certain loss if RWR, RWW, or WWR

Looks to me like Lindsey's wager of $4,601 was preferable compared to $7,801. However, her best wager would have been 0, on the assumptions that Francois was highly likely to bet to cover, and that Gilbert was around equally likely to bet (a) less than 200, (b) in the range 200 to 3000, and (c) 12600 all-in.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 43,200
50 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Demi Lovato, "Good night and good luck" (DD)

Some days the bounces go your way, but, boy, it doesn't get much more serendipitous that a physics teacher getting a physics FJ! in the ToC. I knew that they were going for the inventor of the barometer, and I know that the torr is a unit of measurement of some sort, but that's the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

I was surprised to see Lindsey miss what seemed to be a gimme DD, but what was weirder was the apparent lack of recognition of Murrow's famous phrase when Alex revealed the correct response.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got my newsmen mixed up on Lindsey's DD and said, "That's the way it is," which is much more fatalistic in the "not sure they'd survive the night" context.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:04 pm was even able to dig the torr out of the deep recesses, but couldn't pull the name in time.
That's what got it for me. I started with Tortarelli, realized that was a hockey coach, and then came up with the correct name.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

econgator wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:45 am
xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:04 pm was even able to dig the torr out of the deep recesses, but couldn't pull the name in time.
That's what got it for me. I started with Tortarelli, realized that was a hockey coach, and then came up with the correct name.
I do the "close but no cigar" thing all the time, too...the coach is Tortorella. (Don't worry, folks - outside of the J! sphere.) Same mistake as the comitus vs comitatus problem I had recently...
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I am embarrassed to admit, as a former meteorologist (and with a Bachelors in meteorology), that I missed FJ.

The TOC Final is going to be epic.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Did anyone else try "othered" instead of "objectified"? I wonder if that might even have been acceptable.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

alietr wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:38 pm Torricelli was not going to be pulled from the recesses of my brain. I knew Bernoulli wasn't likely to be right, but I had nothing else.

250 Quatloos on Francois to win it all.
I imagine Francois reacted to seeing the FJ clue similarly (but more intensely, given the much greater stakes) to how I reacted to seeing the Federal Reserve Board cities in LL.

(The FJ was an instaget to me too, but I share his physics background.)
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Woof wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:02 am These boards felt like the easiest of the TOC for me. Good job by all 3 players but the FJ put the game in Francois’s lap. I got there from Torr, too. (Bernoulli was Swiss, BTW). Did anyone else hear Francois say “The Girl on a Train”?
I did as well. I was sure Alex would announce a scoring change during the interviews, but no.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

True North wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:06 am
Woof wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:02 am These boards felt like the easiest of the TOC for me. Good job by all 3 players but the FJ put the game in Francois’s lap. I got there from Torr, too. (Bernoulli was Swiss, BTW). Did anyone else hear Francois say “The Girl on a Train”?
I did as well. I was sure Alex would announce a scoring change during the interviews, but no.
Thinking about it now, I wonder if he wasn't conflating the title with Strangers on a Train.
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:37 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:54 pm Anyone else think that "keep calm and carry on" was MONSTROUSLY HUGE negbait on the Famous Americans DD? That was my only miss in the category.
No. I could give two reasons why, but you'd discount both anyway, so what would be the point?

Going to need "I knew they wanted the guy behind the barometer but did not know/could not recall in time" in a poll somewhere.
(It wasn't Barometelli?)
I seriously considered Baro, because to me Torricelli is a retired New Jersey senator. I also considered Aneno, because I knew that had something to do with air, too. (Yes, windspeed, I know...)... :oops:

My first thought, like Lindsey, was KCACO, but I quickly realized Murrow's catchphrase was 5 words, too...
davey

Post by davey »

I don't think anyone can assume this. I think he's just speaking quickly, somewhat eliding the th-, but J! is not an enunciation contest. If Alex or the judges were doubtful, asking Francois to repeat would be appropriate, but once the moment is past, it's too late to second guess.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

davey wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:17 am
Volante wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:37 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:54 pm Anyone else think that "keep calm and carry on" was MONSTROUSLY HUGE negbait on the Famous Americans DD? That was my only miss in the category.
No. I could give two reasons why, but you'd discount both anyway, so what would be the point?

Going to need "I knew they wanted the guy behind the barometer but did not know/could not recall in time" in a poll somewhere.
(It wasn't Barometelli?)
I seriously considered Baro, because to me Torricelli is a retired New Jersey senator. I also considered Aneno, because I knew that had something to do with air, too. (Yes, windspeed, I know...)... :oops:

My first thought, like Lindsey, was KCACO, but I quickly realized Murrow's catchphrase was 5 words, too...
I went straight to good night and good luck (it definitely helps the movie about him as the same name), but Lindsey seemed so confident in her answer that I thought I must be wrong.
yclept

Post by yclept »

This was a great game and at least Lindsey can rest comfortably knowing that the DD miss did not cost her the game. Francois with the clutch Uruguay solve was awesome to watch - you can tell he was reallllly making sure he had the right country in his head.

There seems to always be at least one SF like this - where all three players play at a level where you could see any of the three as finalists. Lindsey’s scrappy style would have been fun in the finals but we also know she had trouble with James in the QF match.

So we get a mega champion, a 3-day champ, and a teacher’s champ in the finals. In most years, we would probably see this as one of the biggest mismatches in history if we only knew those three statistics. But we all know better.

Francois plays more traditionally than James and Emma do. Will he change his strategy? I would if I were him.

I think it will be a fun championship but I still get this feeling that James is going to be hard to hold down for two games. You can easily envision a $60K+ total for him the next two days. Will the fact that Emma and Francois are both so good actually hurt them as they split the clues that James either doesn’t know or isn’t fast enough to get to?

And in a scenario where James pulls a Roger and hits both DJ DDs in Game 1, is he going to use Roger’s “let me just try to end this whole thing here” strategy or will he be more reserved, thinking that his buzzer/knowledge advantage (even if it isn’t a huge advantage) isn’t with the added risk? We will only know if he is placed in this situation!
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:16 am Did anyone else try "othered" instead of "objectified"? I wonder if that might even have been acceptable.
I don't think "othering", be definition, treats people as a thing, or an object. Rather, it treats them as foreign, as part of an out-group, or, by extension, as undesirable.

On the other hand, "objectifying", by definition, does mean treating someone as a "thing" or an object.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

davey wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:21 am
I don't think anyone can assume this. I think he's just speaking quickly, somewhat eliding the th-, but J! is not an enunciation contest. If Alex or the judges were doubtful, asking Francois to repeat would be appropriate, but once the moment is past, it's too late to second guess.

Now that you mention eliding the "th" in "the", this actually makes sense. I don't know if Francois has a French or French Canadian background, but the easiest way to find a strong accent in those languages is the word "the" or "them". French Canadians tend to go "dee" and "dem", while the French tend to go "zee" and "zem". I know this because Patrice Bergeron, the Quebecois star of the Boston Bruins, made a commercial for Massachusetts vanity license plates that ran on Boston's regional sports network, and one of his lines was "great plates...I want dem too!" while riding a Zamboni. Less than ten years after the commercial, his accent was totally gone - a feat I'm sure I could never do in a foreign language, so props to him.

Heck, I wonder if my cousins with a strong Boston accent would survive on J! - last night's answer "Gary Hart" would be "Gary Hot". But I agree, J! isn't an elocution contest, but I really did hear an "a" on first listen.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:21 amJ! is not an enunciation contest.
Tell that to Alan Goodman.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:24 pm
davey wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:21 amJ! is not an enunciation contest.
Tell that to Alan Goodman.
Exactly what I was thinking.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Rachel Hollis and Gary Hart.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Demi Lovato, Emperor of Japan, (Good Night and Good Luck), Barbara Kingsolver
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:37 pm Going to need "I knew they wanted the guy behind the barometer but did not know/could not recall in time" in a poll somewhere.
Created the poll, then read the game thread. Awesome.