It's happening!!! The GOAT Tourney, w/ Brad + Ken + James

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: It's happening!!! The GOAT Tourney, w/ Brad + Ken + James

Post by QuizGeek75 »

I shouldn't be surprised if Brad wins again, but a part of me wants to see Ken finally win his first tournament. Either way, it's nice to see these two giants again.
Just a person who loves game shows.
jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

I definitely saw this coming, especially after Emma ended James's streak and especially now that James won his ToC. But initially I was anticipating another special tournament pitting James against Ken, Brad, and 12 other big champions whose original appearances occurred between Ken's streak and the 2017 ToC (Julia Collins, Roger Craig, Ben Ingram, Buzzy Cohen, etc.). However, because most of the other contestants I listed were participants in the All-Star Games last season, I realized there's no need for another special tournament. And this upcoming matchup makes more sense.

When I discovered it was going to be aired on ABC, I thought that this was going to conflict with new episodes on the syndicated version. But after finding out that the airtime was going to be 8pm in all the time zones in the U.S. (one hour delay between each time zone), I don't think there's a need for there to be a week of reruns, and TPTB can just air new episodes on the syndicated version.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

So only just the three? I was hoping for another big one with many others, but alright.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: I take it you're not a KJ fan?
In a way I like James more than I like Ken and Brad, and that is because of his unique gameplay style in his original run. He would start at the bottom of the board, getting the $1000 clues first while bouncing between categories, betting aggressively on Daily Doubles and Final Jeopardy!, winning over $100K several times, and twice setting the one-day record. Also, TPTB had James compete in this year's ToC, where he turned the tables on Emma in the finals. On the other hand, Ken played more conservatively, starting from the top down, and sometimes even running entire categories; highest he accumulated in a single game was $75,000 which was later broken by Roger Craig and then Holzhauer. Ken never competed in the 2006 ToC, but instead was an automatic finalist in the 2005 UToC, and lost to Brad.

I'm also rooting for James to win this match, so we can see Brad get defeated by a human opponent for the first time in the show's history, though Brad will still be the biggest money winner even if he loses.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:20 pm I'm also rooting for James to win this match, so we can see Brad get defeated by a human opponent for the first time in the show's history, though Brad will still be the biggest money winner even if he loses.
Like I pointed out a couple days ago, Brad did finish below Ken in the IBM challenge. So it has happened already.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Just had a thought I don’t like.

Since this hasn’t taped yet, is this going to be Alex’s goodbye, and will close the book on the Trebek era along with the players it contains (other than next TOC eligible)?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
goongas

Post by goongas »

I can't imagine a host change is going to change a previous contestant's eligibility. Art Flemming and Alex Trebek J! I consider two different shows because there was a break in between them.
Golf

Post by Golf »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:49 pm Just had a thought I don’t like.

Since this hasn’t taped yet, is this going to be Alex’s goodbye, and will close the book on the Trebek era along with the players it contains (other than next TOC eligible)?
Sadly, I think this will indeed be the case. Let's face it, we all know Alex has been having trouble(by his standards anyway) taping the show in multiple regards and we would all be surprised(pleasantly) if he finishes the taping season. So this would be the perfect send off.

Also, and this is a much longer shot, if Brad or Ken was named his successor, he could literally hand off the reins right then and there.

Whenever it happens, it will be a sad day. But Alex has earned the right to handle it however he wants.

As far as the tournament goes, if the material is ToC difficulty or harder, Brad is undoubtedly the favorite. If it's standard fare, it could be interesting.

And both Brad and Ken will make multiple poor wagers.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I have to wonder what the level of difficulty of the answer/questions will be. If they set it at the highest level, the expanded prime time audience may only be able to appreciate the drama of the competition, and go numb if they try to play along. I'll enjoy it for the drama of the competition and accept that playing along will have its limitations.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Golf wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:23 pm Also, and this is a much longer shot, if Brad or Ken was named his successor, he could literally hand off the reins right then and there.
Interesting thought.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I remember reading something recently about how Ken, Brad, or any former ToC contestant, would be an unlikely choice for the next host. Any future "best of" ToCs with past contestants from the Trebek era would be virtually impossible to do, since I imagine the host would be connected to a lot of the former contestants by virtue of playing in the ToC with them. It also might poison the elite portion of the contestant pool, since I imagine they're connected to a lot of the folks on the "trivia buff" circuit.

I hope Alex is able to finish out the season with a great finale episode, and hope that he can enjoy what retirement time he has without a lot of longing for his old job that a lot of retirees who really enjoyed their work sometimes have. I think he genuinely enjoys hosting, as we genuinely enjoy watching him host, and I know he doesn't want to disappoint us, but I think we all understand if it's time for him to leave the show sooner than we (or he) might want.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

harrumph wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:35 pm I have to wonder what the level of difficulty of the answer/questions will be.
GEOLOGY $2000: Beginning at Earth's formation 4.6 billion years ago it was the first geological eon.
Answer: What is Hadean?(Precambrian is a supereon.)

RUSSIA $2000: The Matochkin Strait separates Severny Island and Yuzhny Island in this large northern Russian archipelago in the Arctic Ocean.
Answer: What is Novaya Zemlya?

COMPOSERS $2000: This Spanish pianist and composer who drowned in 1916 is best known for his piano suite "Goyescas", a set of six pieces based on paintings by Francisco Goya?
Answer: Who is Enrique Granados?

ART & ARTISTS $2000: This 15th/16th century German Renaissance painter, who had many of his works attributed to Albrecht Durer, is famous for painting the Isenheim Altarpiece.
Answer: Who is Matthias Grunewald?

Ideal Categories:
THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME(Obviously, this is going to be one of the categories in the first match.)
Q WITHOUT U
PRE-COLUMBIAN ARCHITECTURE(Which was used as a joke in an April Fool's episode of Dick Clark's The Challengers.)
INITIALS TO CHEMICAL SYMBOLS TO ELEMENTS :twisted:
COMMON STUMPERS(Clues which have been used multiple times in the past and have often been stumpers.)
THE ULTIMATE SPELLING BEE
Douglas Squasoni
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:11 am
harrumph wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:35 pm I have to wonder what the level of difficulty of the answer/questions will be.
GEOLOGY $2000: Beginning at Earth's formation 4.6 billion years ago it was the first geological eon.

RUSSIA $2000: The Matochkin Strait separates Severny Island and Yuzhny Island in this large northern Russian archipelago in the Arctic Ocean.

COMPOSERS $2000: This Spanish pianist and composer who drowned in 1916 is best known for his piano suite "Goyescas", a set of six pieces based on paintings by Francisco Goya?

ART & ARTISTS $2000: This 15th/16th century German Renaissance painter, who had many of his works attributed to Albrecht Durer, is famous for painting the Isenheim Altarpiece.

Ideal Categories:
THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME(Obviously, this is going to be one of the categories in the first match.)
Q WITHOUT U
PRE-COLUMBIAN ARCHITECTURE(Which was used as a joke in an April Fool's episode of Dick Clark's The Challengers.)
COMMON STUMPERS(Clues which have been used multiple times in the past and have often been stumpers.)
Whither Etruscans.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

harrumph wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:35 pm I have to wonder what the level of difficulty of the answer/questions will be. If they set it at the highest level, the expanded prime time audience may only be able to appreciate the drama of the competition, and go numb if they try to play along. I'll enjoy it for the drama of the competition and accept that playing along will have its limitations.
Top-row clues should be "gettable" by a reasonable portion of the audience, perhaps the same level of difficulty as middle-row clues in a regular game. Bottom-row clues should be very difficult. FJ clues should be the sort that poll in the 20 to 30 percent range on this board. That said, all the clues should be understandable by most of the audience, even if they don't know the correct response.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I suggested a five day total point match between these three in the TOC Final Day 2 thread. Glad they took my idea, even if they altered my suggested format.

Seriously, this should be fun to watch. A bit odd it is airing in January and not February sweeps. Did the SJ series on ABC get decent ratings? Did they have plans to do it again that never came about?

If this is truly the end of Alex’s reign, it is a great way to go out. I know he wants to keep going, but I think if he feels he can no longer do it to his standards, he will step down.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

goongas wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:16 pm I can't imagine a host change is going to change a previous contestant's eligibility. Art Flemming and Alex Trebek J! I consider two different shows because there was a break in between them.
all tournaments are invitational, and the Trebek era contestants always come down to Ken and Brad with Brad winning. With a new host, there is simply no need to keep repeating this. James ends up getting the short end of this stick as he wouldn't keep getting asked to return every couple of years; but if he beats Ken and Brad, I could see him coming back after ten years or so of a new host as the GOAT of the "first" generation.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:11 am

Ideal Categories:
Q WITHOUT U
LITERATURE $2000

This is the 15th word of the first chapter of "The Unbearable Lightness of Being"
What is 'other'?

RESTAURANTS $2000

This Vietnamese restaurant is located at the corner of Grønnengata and Strandskillet in Tromsø, Norway.
What is Suvi?

WORLD LEADERS $2000

He was the Sultan of Brunei from 1533-1581.
Who is Saiful Rijal?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Maybe it's going to be like Willy Wonka ... the winner takes over host duties.
goongas

Post by goongas »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:39 am
goongas wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:16 pm I can't imagine a host change is going to change a previous contestant's eligibility. Art Flemming and Alex Trebek J! I consider two different shows because there was a break in between them.
all tournaments are invitational, and the Trebek era contestants always come down to Ken and Brad with Brad winning. With a new host, there is simply no need to keep repeating this. James ends up getting the short end of this stick as he wouldn't keep getting asked to return every couple of years; but if he beats Ken and Brad, I could see him coming back after ten years or so of a new host as the GOAT of the "first" generation.
I thought you were referring to contestant eligibility in normal games. The eligibility says you cannot be a contestant if you were on a Trebek show. If there is a new host, I imagine they would keep the Trebek exclusion.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

goongas wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:28 am I thought you were referring to contestant eligibility in normal games. The eligibility says you cannot be a contestant if you were on a Trebek show. If there is a new host, I imagine they would keep the Trebek exclusion.
Why? I would think the opposite -- that it once again opens it up to any Trebek-era contestants.