Wednesday, November 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I've never heard of the nursery rhyme, but thought it was still a very straightforward FJ. Quite a bit to write down, though.
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

I'm a lightweight compared to many here - my Coryat hovers around 20K on average. I dominated this game, because of good categories - $28,200, 37R/1W (damn you, French stewardess - I said "bellhop"), and got all 3 DD and FJ!.

Swept Disney, which is the easiest category I think I've seen in awhile - all five song titles are must-knows, IMO. I could forgive Mary Poppins, but the sequel came out last year. Took me back to 7th grade chorus, where we did A Disney Spectacular, and I was Winnie the Pooh and Chimney Sweep #2. Ironically, 4 of the 5 clues were movies/musicals/songs written AFTER I was in 7th grade.

Also got the sweep of first name song titles - in my list of "things I'd never be brave enough to do", I wanted someone to say "Who is Rooooooooooooooooooooxanne?" I precalled Beth, because I have a cousin named Beth. I almost goofed Fernando for Alejandro, but swallowed my tongue fast enough to correct it. Damn you, Lady ABBA.

One more sweep with religion, which is odd for me. I have no idea why I do well in the religion topics. *shrug* Almost swept the wordplay category, but could only come up with "shogun" for "samurai", which was fortunately short enough that I could count 6 letters so there could be no "middle letter", and I didn't "ring in". (I also noticed the "u" was way too far to the right.)

Geography and creepy animals killed me. Expected the former, surprised by the latter. And I couldn't get warthog after literally seeing a musical starring a warthog in a clue prior to it? Yeesh.

FJ! was an instaget for me, because Dr. Sleep's been on my "to watch" list. Sequel to another 70s movie with Nicholson, and I knew Cucoo's Nest was based on a book. NHO the rhyme, and didn't know the year of the book, but the year of the movie felt right, and the title was "birdy" enough.

Would "What is Hitchhiker's Guide?" get a BMS, or an "oh, sorry"? It's one thing to write a long title in FJ! (see...well, today!), but another thing to spit it out in J! or DJ!. I could also see myself leaving out the "the" but including the rest of the title.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:14 am I'm a lightweight compared to many here - my Coryat hovers around 20K on average. I dominated this game, because of good categories - $28,200, 37R/1W (damn you, French stewardess - I said "bellhop"), and got all 3 DD and FJ!.

Swept Disney, which is the easiest category I think I've seen in awhile - all five song titles are must-knows, IMO. I could forgive Mary Poppins, but the sequel came out last year. Took me back to 7th grade chorus, where we did A Disney Spectacular, and I was Winnie the Pooh and Chimney Sweep #2. Ironically, 4 of the 5 clues were movies/musicals/songs written AFTER I was in 7th grade.

Also got the sweep of first name song titles - in my list of "things I'd never be brave enough to do", I wanted someone to say "Who is Rooooooooooooooooooooxanne?" I precalled Beth, because I have a cousin named Beth. I almost goofed Fernando for Alejandro, but swallowed my tongue fast enough to correct it. Damn you, Lady ABBA.

One more sweep with religion, which is odd for me. I have no idea why I do well in the religion topics. *shrug* Almost swept the wordplay category, but could only come up with "shogun" for "samurai", which was fortunately short enough that I could count 6 letters so there could be no "middle letter", and I didn't "ring in". (I also noticed the "u" was way too far to the right.)

Geography and creepy animals killed me. Expected the former, surprised by the latter. And I couldn't get warthog after literally seeing a musical starring a warthog in a clue prior to it? Yeesh.

FJ! was an instaget for me, because Dr. Sleep's been on my "to watch" list. Sequel to another 70s movie with Nicholson, and I knew Cucoo's Nest was based on a book. NHO the rhyme, and didn't know the year of the book, but the year of the movie felt right, and the title was "birdy" enough.

Would "What is Hitchhiker's Guide?" get a BMS, or an "oh, sorry"? It's one thing to write a long title in FJ! (see...well, today!), but another thing to spit it out in J! or DJ!. I could also see myself leaving out the "the" but including the rest of the title.
the shining came out in 1980
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:18 am
the shining came out in 1980
Nice catch! Didn't source that one before typing it...but it's practically 70s to me. I knew The Shining was later than Cuckoo, but thought it was 79. Dates are very, very helpful in J! - as noted in tonight's FJ!.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Instaget FJ. I also pre called that the occupation of France would be about Job titles in French rather than anything having to do with the military occupation.

All of these people here hating on Elise and hoping she will be a 1 time champion make me feel justified that I was thinking the same thing about Sathvik yesterday. But I kept it to myself, at least until now. I was hoping Dave would be the one to make a move but I am most impressed by elise's play.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Elise played with a lot of intensity and I'm curious to see if she can sustain it over the course of a full taping day.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I classify that as a very good FJ clue. Not immediately obvious, but all of the pieces of the puzzle are there to be put in place.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:18 am All of these people here hating on Elise and hoping she will be a 1 time champion
This is a slight exaggeration. A couple people have commented that they were annoyed she didn't hunt for DDs more effectively, but only casketromance suggested he'd like her to be a one-day champs, but he wants everyone to be just a one-day champ...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

floridagator wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:18 am All of these people here hating on Elise and hoping she will be a 1 time champion make me feel justified that I was thinking the same thing about Sathvik yesterday. But I kept it to myself, at least until now. I was hoping Dave would be the one to make a move but I am most impressed by elise's play.
I thought Elise was great, and hope she sticks around. Just the right combination of personality to have on.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Badminton), Corsair, Thirteen, Hurricane
Douglas Squasoni
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:14 am Swept Disney, which is the easiest category I think I've seen in awhile - all five song titles are must-knows, IMO. I could forgive Mary Poppins, but the sequel came out last year. Took me back to 7th grade chorus, where we did A Disney Spectacular, and I was Winnie the Pooh and Chimney Sweep #2. Ironically, 4 of the 5 clues were movies/musicals/songs written AFTER I was in 7th grade
I'd go beyond "in a while." That may have been the easiest category I've ever seen. Identify five very big Disney movies by one of the most famous songs from each, and if somehow you don't know the song, they'll show you a clip from the musical to help you even further.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

soxfan99 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:03 pm
talkingaway wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:14 am Swept Disney, which is the easiest category I think I've seen in awhile - all five song titles are must-knows, IMO. I could forgive Mary Poppins, but the sequel came out last year. Took me back to 7th grade chorus, where we did A Disney Spectacular, and I was Winnie the Pooh and Chimney Sweep #2. Ironically, 4 of the 5 clues were movies/musicals/songs written AFTER I was in 7th grade
I'd go beyond "in a while." That may have been the easiest category I've ever seen. Identify five very big Disney movies by one of the most famous songs from each, and if somehow you don't know the song, they'll show you a clip from the musical to help you even further.
To make it harder on myself, I tried answering them ASAP - I’m pretty sure I got them all with just the (sometimes oblique) text clues, no song or video needed. But I definitely would have buzzed in buy the time the clue ended on all of them.

EDIT: checked the archive, and no, I wouldn’t have gotten most of them without the song, except frozen. Sherman brothers and mouthful might make a good FJ! clue.
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:25 pm
To make it harder on myself, I tried answering them ASAP - I’m pretty sure I got them all with just the (sometimes oblique) text clues, no song or video needed. But I definitely would have buzzed in buy the time the clue ended on all of them.
What I found notable about the category is that only 2 of the 5 shows are still running on Broadway - they left out Aladdin - so it was generic promotion for the Disney brand (and a nudge to holdouts on Disney +, of course).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm sure it was very easy for Disney fans, but the only one of the movies I've actually seen is Mary Poppins. That said, I think the only one I missed was Beauty and the Beast, which was the $200 clue!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:33 pm There's a nursery rhyme about three geese? Not ringing the faintest of bells. I had no idea what to even WAG. But as soon as he said "one flew east, one flew west", I knew exactly what they were going for. I watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest in college English class, but it was too far back in the brain to surface, and I didn't know it had also been a book.
It was also a stage play, which comes up from time to time. Kirk Douglas originated the role of Randall McMurphy and really, really wanted to reprise the role onscreen. But the producer--aka his son Michael Douglas to whom he had given the film rights--agreed with his team that Dad was now too old and the part went to Jack Nicholson. Who won an Oscar. Ouch. Couple of awkward Thanksgivings at the Douglas house, I'm thinking.

Another trivia chestnut is that One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is one of only three films to win all five major Academy Awards--Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Screenplay (Original or Adapted as appropriate). That last one always seems like the runt of the litter to me and shouldn't be included. I hope a film comes along that wins the first four but not the fifth and they realize how unimportant the fifth is in terms of the rarity of this accomplishment. Anyway, we all know the other two, but if you want to take a guess first:
The other two are...
It Happened One Night (1934)
The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

We just saw It Happened One Night a couple of weeks ago. I was really surprised it got any of those awards, let alone all. I understand times were different, but even so, it didn't seem like an Oscar kind of movie. It's kind of like if Back to the Future won Best Picture. I mean, yeah, it's funny and well constructed and all, but... don't you guys usually choose something with a little more self-congratulatory gravitas? Anyway, it came out the same year as The Thin Man, which wasn't even nominated for Best Picture and yet, in my opinion, holds up far better as a comedy today. (So on reconsideration, it's kind of like Teen Wolf won Best Picture and Back to the Future wasn't even nominated.) William Powell was nominated for Best Actor for that film but lost to Clark Gable despite what I'd consider a superior performance. (So that's like Michael J. Fox winning Best Actor instead of Michael J. Fox. Hang on. I need a new analogy.) Director W. S. Van Dyke lost to Frank Capra as well. And perhaps most egregious is that The Thin Man lost Best Adapted Screenplay to It Happened One Night. No way was IHON's screenplay anywhere near as good. Meh.

And don't even get me started on The Silence of the Lambs. I'll just say that Anthony Hopkins earned his award and then some.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

brick wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:38 pm Loved Elise’s gameplay! This is the first time I’ve been actively irritated that contestants no longer walk out to the podiums, nor come out from behind them after the game. I really wanted to see the rest of that dress!
Oooh, I didn't even think about that. I'm picturing it with a full skirt that flairs out when she spins. But that might not fit well in the podium space provided. It would also look terrific as a sheath.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:33 pm That Disney category was incredibly easy. Also ran You're Creeping Me Out
I went 4/5 without the video clip (missing Little Mermaid; couldn't make the slide connection, should've just tried ruling out already used musicals)
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:20 pm
The other two are...
It Happened One Night (1934)

We just saw It Happened One Night a couple of weeks ago. I was really surprised it got any of those awards, let alone all. I understand times were different, but even so, it didn't seem like an Oscar kind of movie. It's kind of like if Back to the Future won Best Picture. I mean, yeah, it's funny and well constructed and all, but... don't you guys usually choose something with a little more self-congratulatory gravitas?
Spoiler
The Sting
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:22 pm
brick wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:38 pm Loved Elise’s gameplay! This is the first time I’ve been actively irritated that contestants no longer walk out to the podiums, nor come out from behind them after the game. I really wanted to see the rest of that dress!
Oooh, I didn't even think about that. I'm picturing it with a full skirt that flairs out when she spins. But that might not fit well in the podium space provided. It would also look terrific as a sheath.
I'll go out of character for this and concur. Great color, great pattern.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 40,600
50 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: badminton (DD), hurricane (DD)

I don't know of the "one flew east..." nursery rhyme qua nursery rhyme, but I am familiar with it as the source of the book/play/film title.

Heck of a first day Coryat by Elise. It will be interesting to see if this was just a "the stars aligned" game, or if she is able to keep this up for several games.

The Baader-Meinhof phenomenon was in effect for me in the Disney category. I just learned a few days ago that Tituss Burgess made a name for himself pre-Kimmy Schmidt playing Sebastian in The Little Mermaid, and there he was again tonight.
talkingaway wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:14 am I almost goofed Fernando for Alejandro, but swallowed my tongue fast enough to correct it. Damn you, Lady ABBA.
You're one up on me. I made that very goof but failed to correct it in time.
Sprinkles are for winners.